EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Feeling at home in the Middle East

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling at home in the Middle East
crash
Member # 11515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned a word a few days ago in my Arabic class that I thought was quite interesting. Mustashriq -it basically means "a wannabe Middle-Easterner."

Yep, that's me. I'm a Jew from Baltimore who is an Arab at heart. Don't get me wrong, mom I'm not switching sides, I'm just in love with my supposed "enemy." That's the reason I went to Egypt. We're trained from birth to be on opposite ends with the Arab people, taught that we have nothing to learn from them and that their civilization is backwards and defunct. Well, I needed to see the other side. I needed to go to the land of the Exodus to see the Arab perspective for myself.

Going to Egypt as a Jew and an American, in an area of the world that rumor has it doesn't take to kindly to people of my background, was a bit frightening. Saying I was an American Jew wouldn't work, so my identity changed a bit: First half-American, half-Bulgarian, then half-American, half-Turkish, then half-Lebanese and finally, the identity that made the most sense was half-Egyptian. The latter of the lot got me a little better reception in certain areas, and even discounts when I went shopping.

If I were to pick the one thing that I love about Egypt, hands down it is the people. I've been fortunate enough to travel pretty extensively throughout the world and never have I met a population as warm and inviting as the Egyptians. Their generosity and traditional Arab hospitality is unmatched anywhere in the world. This was the aspect of my time there that I will remember most.

So, did my politics change? Not really. I've always been a leftist, a peacenik, a person that believed that picking up pens and not guns is the best way to deal with the conflict with the Arabs. I'm more sympathetic to the Palestinian plight now, more ardently anti- Ariel Sharon. I can now truly comprehend the Arab perspective, yet I'm also more grateful of my life in America.

I remember watching the one-year anniversary coverage of 9/11 in Cairo and feeling very patriotic and grateful for my life here in America. While I disagree with our government's policies in numerous spheres, the mere fact that I can voice my dissent is something of which I'm extremely grateful. Free speech and a free press are anomalies in the Middle East where the local governments permit their citizens to protest two entities -- America and Israel-but never the governments themselves.

Which leads me to my next topic: War with Iraq. This seems to be the war of our generation-our Vietnam -- where the voice of protest is loud, but a voice I disagree with. I support the war with Iraq. A mustashriq who wants to go to war with Iraq? The Arab people on the whole do not support this war at all, so why do I? Because I support a war to free the Iraqi people.

Sunday was the 15 year anniversary of Saddam Hussein's chemical attack on the Iraqi Kurdish town of Halabja, an attack which killed 5,000 men, women and children. Hussein has ruled Iraq for decades with an iron fist, a rule marked by oppression and massive human rights violations -- a rule that has stifled the growth of a prosperous Iraqi people. The Iraqis have been put down for too long. They deserve a better future and my hope and prayer is that this war will lead to their liberation.

So, seven months in Egypt and what do I have to show for it besides a water pipe? I have a new respect for the Arab people, a love of their civilization and culture, memories of travel around the Middle East and pictures galore. I'll never forget sleeping in a bus station in Beirut, renting a car and driving through Syria or bribing the guards at the pyramids to drink wine and smoke cigars atop the only remaining ancient wonder of the world.

There's an old Egyptian adage that says, "If you drink the water of the Nile, you will surely return to the land."

Well, the water in Egypt tastes great.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is very true i have never met a more loving and generous people in my life. o have been to egypt 2 times within an year and i am going back in sept. i just cant get enough of them. o have a plus i will be seeing my family there and my husband . i talked to my brother in law on webcam and saw his beautiful 2 yrs.old daughter farha and just cryed . i am so home sick for them. [Frown] they all will have open arms for me when i get there . i love them so
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great 1st post Crash!!!!
Welcome to ES... [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic
Member # 7290

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://media.www.thejusticeonline.com/media/storage/paper573/news/2003/03/18/Forum/Global.Perspective.Egypt-394388.shtml?sourcedomain=www.thejusticeonline.com&MIIHost=media.college publisher.com
Posts: 140 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! When I read it it didn't feel like a genuine post...anyone who says that the water in Egypt tastes great is questionable!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, When you copy & paste you should list the source. I take my welcome back [Razz]

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Labibah
Member # 9742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Labibah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ana masreya! I am from Norway, and I feel Egyptian in my heart too! I just love the nice people. They joke and they smile and they are so so kind!

--------------------
everything is possible!

Posts: 84 | From: Norway, Trondheim | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com