EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Has Luxor changed much?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has Luxor changed much?
deborah
Member # 2372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for deborah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI everyone,

Last time I was in Luxor was May 2004 with my Egyptian hubby, we left to come & live here in UK. I'm desperate to go back and of course so is my husband and we've had a baby since then and his mother hasn't seen her yet! We're thinking of going back either later this year or early next year, when its not so hot. Anyway my question is what has changed in Luxor? I imagine there are new restaurants and hotels maybe? Can't wait to go back, fingers crossed it'll be sooner rather than later!

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not changed a lot since 2004 except the surface is being cleaned up every where.

souk street has been paved, station street is in the middle of refurbishment, lots of shrubs are being planted. I should think when it is finished it will be lovely but at the moment it is a mess.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the moment it looks a lot like Beruit after a bomb attack. Station Street has lost all the buildings on one side, the side of the temple is a moonpscape, the station area is a total mess and the whole of Luxor seems to be covered in scaffolding. That said, when the renovations are complete, it will look wonderful.

All the buildings in the main roads are being painted a sand colour and this has meant taking off old surfaces and in many cases replastering whole buildings. The rubble has yet to be cleared away.

The souk has had wooden trellis work added to the main street and the side streets. It is not yet paved, but when it is again it will look great and will be completely pedestestrianised.

Station Street is to be mainly pedestrianised too and so it will eventually be a nice place to go shopping without the danger of being run over by a calleche. Small new shops have been built near the station to replace those that were demolished.

A lot of work is being done in the area around Luxor Temple (and Karnak) to make Luxor the biggest open air museum in the world. The Avenue of sphinxes is to be partially restored and Luxor will return to some of its former glory. In the meantime - bring a hard hat and some strong boots. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malesh
Member # 10401

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
At the moment it looks a lot like Beruit after a bomb attack.

You think you are being clever with this comment?
How dare you say something like this?
Are there dead bodies lying around Luxor?
Are people burnt and maimed and bleeding?
Are children's lives destroyed?
What an ignorant statement.
[Mad]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic
Member # 7290

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Automatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malesh:
quote:
At the moment it looks a lot like Beruit after a bomb attack.

What an ignorant statement.
[Mad]

I agree
Posts: 140 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my remark casued offence then I apologise unreservedly. It was not meant to offend and it was insensitive. I apologise to the people of Lebanon and to everyone else. I cannot edit it out as the option is no longer available. It was ill considered under the circumstances.

It should simple have said it looks like a bomb site rather than adding the name of a place to it.

--------------------

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for needsomeone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only change I found is

there are more and more fat brits than locals

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by needsomeone:

Het Feluka someone I missed you loads.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Really? [Confused]
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for needsomeone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
quote:

Really? [Confused]
Would I lie to you Shareen . [Razz]
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmmmmmm [Razz]
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zanuu
Member # 11258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zanuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another ignorant comment by LL
Posts: 58 | From: ireland and egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
And another stupid one from you Kim [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

zanuu
Member # 11258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zanuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if the cap fits [Wink]
Posts: 58 | From: ireland and egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zanuu
Member # 11258

Rate Member
PS not Kim but im assured she feels the same way as me about you
Luxorlife
Member # 9763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luxorlife   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is now a large paved area opposite McDonalds, abutting Luxor temple - this is to be used for theatrical performances. Station Street rebuilding is close to completion, and I reckon it will be completed at end of September. Many of the changes are being planned to finish before the next season, and the way they are progressing makes me think, despite the chaos now, that that target will be met.
Posts: 26 | From: Luxor | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlife:
There is now a large paved area opposite McDonalds, abutting Luxor temple

Oh my... that just sounds awfull!!!!!

bloody McDs

BTW.. lighten up on the Beirut comment... thats the sort of thing id say/have said and never thought about the very valid angry response it received... i wont use that remark again i can assure you... but please... sometimes things are said without thought and i think LuxorLover gave a very sincere apology.

isnt this how wars start?! lets all try to educate and forgive eachother shall we?

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malesh
Member # 10401

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

BTW.. lighten up on the Beirut comment... thats the sort of thing id say/have said and never thought about the very valid angry response it received... i wont use that remark again i can assure you... but please... sometimes things are said without thought and i think LuxorLover gave a very sincere apology.

isnt this how wars start?! lets all try to educate and forgive eachother shall we? [/QB]

Yeah, wars are started by arrogance and stupidity by arrogant stupid people.
History repeats itself. Yeah, it does.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no offence malesh (welcome to ES by the way) but the only arrogance i see here is coming from your direction.

ok, so something was said that offended you... you have every right to be offended, but the adult thing to do is to assess whether or not the comment was intended to offend and take a civil course of action by pointing out how offencive the comment is.

i remember really offending a czech aupair i had once by introducing her and saying she was from Czechoslovakia! force of habbit and yes, a certain degree of ignorance.. she however just politely corrected me and i never made the same mistake again...

same goes for the time i sat in my friends Chinese restaurant and referred to a chinese take away as a 'chinky'.. he was REALLY offended, but he knew i had meant no offence... wont say that again either.

havnt you seen the HSBC adds... you know... the ones that point out cultural taboos... we cant know everything, but we can try to educate eachother.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malesh
Member # 10401

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Malesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charm el feikh?:

same goes for the time i sat in my friends Chinese restaurant and referred to a chinese take away as a 'chinky'..

I'm supposed to take advice from you ? [Roll Eyes]
Madame.E
Member # 9974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madame.E   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If my remark casued offence then I apologise unreservedly. It was not meant to offend and it was insensitive. I apologise to the people of Lebanon and to everyone else. I cannot edit it out as the option is no longer available. It was ill considered under the circumstances.

It should simple have said it looks like a bomb site rather than adding the name of a place to it.

I agree with Charm the apology was there but it would have been better to say building site and not mention th b word at all.
People please be nice to one another is there not enough hatred in the World without picking on one another here it is no longer amusing!

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com