EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Westerners receive warm welcome from Egyptians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Westerners receive warm welcome from Egyptians
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anne Chalfant: Ticket to Ride: Westerners receive warm welcome from Egyptians

Contra Costa Times
July 29, 2006

Thank you for coming to Egypt I'M GLAD I finally got to Egypt.

The lure has been there since we all started learning about the Land of the Pharaoh in grade school. Seeing the Great Pyramids, the Sphinx, the mummified pharaohs in the Egyptian Museum is as phenomenal as any teacher ever suggested.

What our teachers never could have anticipated, though, was the enthusiastic welcome we received from the Egyptians.

'Thank you for coming to Egypt,' people said, walking up to us on the street.

There were so few Westerners there, it surprised me. And now -- with Israel beginning its attacks on Lebanon the very day we arrived -- people in shops told us they feared tourism would dry up even further as travelers tend to erroneously associate Egypt with its tumultuous neighbors.

And yet it is not the Egyptian people themselves who deserve this. With their eager welcomes, hospitality and mastery of tourist English, travelers feel safe. Driveways to hotels are blocked and guarded, vehicles checked for bombs and entryways have security gates and X-ray machines.

Whirling dervish drivers

I only felt nervous in the wildly unchanneled Cairo traffic, where every driver makes his own lane, and the pedestrian crosswalk is a rarity, making street-crossing a game of chicken that involves wading out into traffic and putting your hand up.

Otherwise, I never felt danger to my personage or property -- and, well, let me tell you a story.

One afternoon my husband and I went to Khan al-Khalili, a bazaar that dates to medieval times. This fascinating labyrinth of alleyways and dense passageways sells everything from silks to spices, antiques, papyrus paintings and handcrafted gold and silver jewelry.

Frankly, I was going for the gold.

Numerous small shops sell lovely stuff, but there's a process of getting there that involves running the gantlet of salesmen trying to pull you into their shop. 'Come inside, take a look,' they beckon if you stop even for a nanosecond. Walk away and they lament your departure volubly, calling after you that you are missing the best bargains.

You have to adjust your mind-set to this peskiness. The art of soft-sell just isn't in the repertoire.

Watching the war

When we did go into one jewelry shop we found the owner intently watching a broadcast of Israel's attacks on Lebanon. We watched TV with him a while, sharing our sickened feelings. This man's English was good, and he expressed his fears that Egypt would be deeply affected by this conflict.

After shaking our heads sorrowfully and discussing the Middle East, we turned our attention to some beautiful gold necklaces. They were stunning but out of my price range, so we thanked him and left.

We wandered farther down passageways, ending up at another jeweler, this one a more substantial shop. By this point my thoughts had turned more to bathrooms than scoring great jewelry, so I looked at some necklaces, and then asked for the WC.

They had one, and it was very clean. An older man who spoke no English pointed the way.

Then we left and made our way through a back door passageway, thanks to vendors who by now recognized us and directed us through the shortcut leading to the mosque on the square. It seemed crazy and perhaps dangerous as we wended right, left, right, down a dark stairway -- and finally -- to our surprise, emerged by the mosque on the square. It was beautiful, and I reached in my purse for the digital camera to shoot some photos.

But, no camera.

Goodbye, camera

I dug and dug into the depths of my purse -- but no. My husband and I had that sinking feeling -- we would never see that camera again.

We were exhausted from our day's touring and the Egyptian heat at this point, and who knew which of the stalls or shops I might have set my camera down in? But it was worth a try to recover it. I insisted we make our way back through the maze and visit the two jewelry shops where I had tried on necklaces.

Back we went, vendors greeting us with, 'Ah, you are back -- now would you like to see my things?' I scowled and said, 'I'm not in a good mood. I've lost my camera.'

Instantly, the sales pitches stopped. Suddenly we had enlisted the aid of these shopkeepers -- one by one they said turn this way, turn that way -- redirecting us on a return route that would take us to the two jewelry stores I had tried on necklaces in, and what I thought to be the most probable places I had set the camera down.

We stopped first at the shop where we had watched televised war, but the shop owner shook his head -- no, I had not left my camera there. I believed him.

Then as we stepped into the last store, the old man who had shown me to the bathroom greeted us at the door with a huge grin. He tapped his chest, pointed to me, and tapped his chest again -- grinning and grinning.

'You have my camera!' I exclaimed.

Indeed, they did. The owner stepped from the backroom and handed it to me. I had left it on the shelf in the bathroom.

Then we told him how helpful the other vendors had been in directing us back to his shop. He shrugged. 'We are an association in Khan al-Khalili. If someone does something wrong -- cheating customers, stealing -- they lose their place here.' In fact, shop owners have owned these shops for hundreds of years -- handing down the stores and stalls to the next generation. Khan al-Khalili is a tight organization that looks out for itself. The jeweler in this shop was president of the jewelers association.

Fated to be bejeweled

After that, I of course did the right thing. I tried on necklaces until I found a beautiful but simple 18-karat gold choker.

The jeweler served us tea and we chatted while it was being prepared.

And so I got my lovely Egyptian necklace and my good-as-gone camera.

When we emerged by the mosque again, it was dusk. The dome seemed to be floating in the air, and the sonorous call to prayer bordered on the ethereal.

My photo didn't do Egypt justice.

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/1960366907305384515814562827372757980088

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was lovely!!! so nice to read someones experience in Egypt without them moaning about it!

I had a similar experience when i left my shopping in A&W (?) told the taxi driver who then called the manager and then took me back to get it all, someone had handed it in [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i havew beento egypt last july this feb and am going again in sept. i love egypt and the people there never had a bad experience there. of course my husband and his friends are there and we always have a great time
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenngirl9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the airport leaving Egypt after a wonderful vacation there. I had walked through security at the airport, which is a point of no return, they dont let you go back outside. Anyway the driver of our van noticed that we had left our very expensive Digital Camera in the van. He brought it to us, and sent it through security to us and had the guard bring it to us. He could have sold that camera and made 1/2 years salary for him cause there was no way we could go back. We however didnt even noticed we had left it. Thank God for honest people.
Posts: 96 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com