EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » egyptian food (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: egyptian food
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I go to Cairo I will be doing a lot of cooking for my bf. [Smile] He wants to see how I cook.

Well I enjoy cooking a lot. I love trying out new recipes and all that BUT...I'm afraid of what is available in the grocery stores there. Are things different?

I'm used to cooking with chicken, steak, salmon, muscles, and using lots of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and different herbs like basil, parsley, dill, garlic salt, etc.

Also, is the produce different?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guest Of Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you will find all what u r looking for in cairo
maybe try to ask him what he like\don't like, make it easier for both of you [Wink]

Posts: 201 | From: A To : Z | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lots of freshly grown local produce - but dont expect the fruit and veg to look as pristine and shiny as those in Sainsburys.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont forget to wash and peel the fruit and veg - I recently lost 5Lbs!!
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guest Of Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:
I recently lost 5Lbs!!

just wondring what doesn this has to do with washing fruits and veg... etc
Posts: 201 | From: A To : Z | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
cos I made a salad and although I washed the ingredients I didnt peel them, and I got sick for a couple of days from some bug or other - its a common mistake. I deduced this from process of elimination - it couldnt have been anything else.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:
I'm used to cooking with chicken, steak, salmon, muscles, and using lots of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and different herbs like basil, parsley, dill, garlic salt, etc.

Not sure about the steak and salmon because I don't eat either, but anything else you listed is commonly used in Egypt and you can get it anywhere.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
cos I made a salad and although I washed the ingredients I didnt peel them, and I got sick for a couple of days from some bug or other - its a common mistake.

Hmm ... I've never peeled anything, I think it's sufficient to wash the stuff thoroughly. And how would you peel a lettuce or a tomato?
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guest Of Life:
quote:
I recently lost 5Lbs!!

just wondring what doesn this has to do with washing fruits and veg... etc
The dreaded dysentery!!! Dysentery is carried on the skins of fresh fruit and vegetables, and washing them in vinegar or lemon juice is the only way to kill the amoebas. I had it for 4 months soon after I arrived and none of the local drugs would get rid of it.

doodlebut, it depends where you are staying whether you will be able to get those food items in the way you are used to buying them. Whole chickens and portions shouldn't be a problem, but skinned and boneless maybe, unless you have access to a main supermarket that prepares food western style. The same for steak, not all butchers know what the different portions of meat are called, they tend to just sell "meat"! Salmon and muscles are not local seafood, but again you may get some in big supermarkets. You should be able to get all the seasonings and herbs apart from the garlic salt, which you will again need to go to the main supermarkets for.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Of course I didnt peel a lettuce or tomato. I didnt list all the ingredients I used, I assumed common sense in reading/understanding/getting the gist of it would prevail. Depends on what individuals use in their salads. At this particular time I also used carrots and cucumber, washed but not peeled.
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
And how would you peel a lettuce or a tomato?

for lettuce i don't use\eat the outer part of it
for tomato, i use the hard ones only which is easy to peel
and sure wash it very good, some times dip in water with some vinegar and lemon juice, specially the lettuce

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Lemon juice or vinegar - I'll remember that. Although I got some medication from a pharmacy that was excellent.
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Lemon juice or vinegar - I'll remember that. Although I got some medication from a pharmacy that was excellent.
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
quote:

that's what i call "repeating your self" ROFL [Big Grin]
joking

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After several incidents I only ate thoroughly cooked food. Cooked and prepared mainly by myself. I would make a lot of stew for myself and kids in the heat of summer!:-) We drank a lot of tea and coca cola. And had soup. It made a huge difference.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
i prefer grilled food, or boiled
don't like anything fried, bcs once oil is heated it's no good.
use raw olive oil over food , more healthy

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
what happens to oil once its heated?
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
quote:

don't know exactly, i guess they didn't have a research about that.
but i know it from Quraan, if u can read [Wink]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
for tomato, i use the hard ones only which is easy to peel

Wow! I didn't think somebody would actually peel a tomato. [Razz]

I don't even peel potatoes ... I'm too lazy. Plus you also get rid of a lot of vitamins when peeling fruits or veggies.

Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
quote:
Wow! I didn't think somebody would actually peel a tomato. [Razz]

I don't even peel potatoes ... I'm too lazy. Plus you also get rid of a lot of vitamins when peeling fruits or veggies.

i am moody about peeling, did u try raw green mango, just cut it to slices(not peeled)?
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
I peel tomatoes for some recipes, such as babaghanoush.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM A CHEF IN THE USA AND WE DONT PEEL ANYTHING WE JUST WASH THEM REAL GOOD . I HAVE LEARNED ALOT OF RECIPES FROM THE WEBSITE TOUR OF EGYPT OR JUST GO TO EGYPTIAN RECIPES. I USE THESE RECIPES AT WORKFOR MY CUSTOMERS AND THEY LOVE IT. I CANT WAIT TO GET BACK TO EGYPT TO TASTA MY MOTHER-IN-LAWS COOKING AGAIN
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

From what I remember it starts to become toxic, that's why you shouldn't reuse oil.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by micky azzam:
I AM A CHEF IN THE USA AND WE DONT PEEL ANYTHING WE JUST WASH THEM REAL GOOD .

maybe that's why a home made meal is better [Razz] j/k

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:

From what I remember it starts to become toxic, that's why you shouldn't reuse oil.
and we have a winner [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do it at home too .it doesnt really matter whether you peel them or not it is all id your preference and liking. for my spagetti sauce i use peeled tomatoes but thats about it. [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by micky azzam:
for my spagetti sauce i use peeled tomatoes but thats about it. [Smile]

how's the spaghetti sauce for you?
i like it :green\yellow pepper, celery\mint, drops of lemon juice, onion, garlic, thyme
some time i add more or less to the cocktail [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
I USE LOTS OF GALIC AND ORENGNO ONIONS PELLED TOMATIES CRUSHED TOMATOES AND TOMATOEPASTE AND BUTTER TO TAKE THE ACID OUT. THEN AT THE END OF COOKING I ADD PARMIGAIN CHEESE. BELLA!!!!!!!!!! THEN I SIT BACK AND ENJOY MY COCKTAIL [Big Grin]
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
I'll join you!!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
THAT WILL BE FUN [Cool]
Guest Of Life
Member # 11462

Rate Member
i remember 1st time i tryed to make full dinner on my own
took me 90 min to finish , 10 min to throw it away, 30 min to get dressed and go out have something with a taste [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
that was a good one LMAO IN USA
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rofl guest of life!!!

OK well now y'all have me scared of living on the hopper!!!

Does anyone ever take something before leaving to prevent this stuff? Do you think it's wise to visit your doctor before leaving to make sure you have medicine handy and also to get any shots that they might suggest?

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no shots against salmonella, shigella, colibrae, whatever. You get sick everytime you attrackt this.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
We had shots for TBC, yellowfeaver and hepatitis. Next to our regular regional updates.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
i am moody about peeling, did u try raw green mango, just cut it to slices(not peeled)?

No, I haven't. I know you can eat the skin of mangoes, but I don't like it since it's often to thick / hard.

Will try the green mango without though as soon as I get back.

Mangoes are my favourite fruit, I terribly miss them in Germany. [Frown]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Finally a non-retarded question to answer on this forum:

DawnBev, cooking at high temperatures damages oils. There are several components in the oils tht are very healthy for our blood vessels, but unfortunately cannot withstand the heat. For example,Omega3 faty acids.. The more Omega3 fatty acids in the oil, the less suitable it is for cooking. The heat damages the fatty acids, but can also change them into toxic acids.

Hydrogenated oils are often used for cooking. Because these oils have a different chemical formula (Hydrogen atom joined the molecule, which makes it difficult for the heat to break it up), they are less likely to be further damaged by heat, but, read this, THEY ARE ALREADY DAMGED by this hydrogen atoms. Hydrogenated oils are not healthy to eat.

The oils that are higher in saturated fats (coming from animals) or monounsaturates are the most stable when heated. Monosaturated fats include peanut oil and olive oil. The more fragile oils are best used at room temperature, like salad dressings.

To preserve the nutritious properties and the flavor of unrefined oils, try the "wet-sauté" method.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:QEhWolluF6cJ:www.jjvirgin.com/images/SMART

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
thanks for that.
usually, the only time I use oil for cooking, is a little bit of olive oil to sautee onions and garlic before I make a veg. soup or stew.

And sometimes a little bit in the bottom of a pan when I am scrambling eggs.

I dont usually buy any other cooking oil, but I did get some 'ordinary' cooking oil when I was last in egypt a few weeks ago. Would this have been hydrogenated stuff? I didnt bother looking at the label.

We've been doing some research at work with nutritionists and child psychologists about the benefits of Omega 3 oils and the unhealthyness of hydrogenated oils.

thanks again

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
yoghurts:
whats the difference between Zabadi and Zabadoo?

thanks

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We've been doing some research at work with nutritionists and child psychologists about the benefits of Omega 3 oils and the unhealthyness of hydrogenated oils.

thanks again

You're welcome.

I have already read research results proving that women administering Omega3 fatty acids during pregnancy get more intelligent and less "destructive" children. I have the biggest proof of that sitting here next to me with this face on [Big Grin]

They even used Omega3 for children with ADD and it gave very good results in improving their behavior.

Did you guys know that mothers with low fat diet during the pregnancy end up with children with mental trouble? [Embarrassed]

And even a more nutty research proves that women who've had diet pills shortly before getting pregnant have ended up having lesbian daughters. [Cool]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
I dont usually buy any other cooking oil, but I did get some 'ordinary' cooking oil when I was last in egypt a few weeks ago. Would this have been hydrogenated stuff? I didnt bother looking at the label.

I don't know about the brand you bought but I trust Safola products.
doodlebug
Member # 11649

I always cook with olive oil. If anyone ever watches the Foodnetwork and especially Rachel Ray then you will know my cooking!!! I don't think I've ever sauteed anything in a pan without olive oil.

Ok so...I make really good stuffed grape leaves, but normally that will be like an appetizer at my house. Is that more of a meal for people in Egypt? If so what do you put with it?

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have grape leaves at my inlaw's they usually have other types of maashi with it. With that they'll have salad, maybe baba ganouj or bitingaan prepared with oil and garlic, rice (kinda redundant since there's rice in the maashi but whateverrrr), stuff like that. Usually there are plenty of leftovers of the maashi so we'll eat that the next day with other stuff.

I eat a LOT of fish when I'm in Egypt. It's super fresh and delicious but tends to get taxing when you gotta eat it like 3 times or more a week.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
cos I made a salad and although I washed the ingredients I didnt peel them, and I got sick for a couple of days from some bug or other - its a common mistake.

Hmm ... I've never peeled anything, I think it's sufficient to wash the stuff thoroughly. And how would you peel a lettuce or a tomato?
Hi there,

just wanted to say:

if u want to peel the fresh tomato, then just put it in hot water, after 5 mins the skin will go off itself.

cheers
XXX

Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Are the stoves/ovens all in celsius? If so, do you know where I can buy a simple converter so that I know what degree to cook things in since I'm used to fareinheit?
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they're in celsius. I only cooked on top the stove when I was in Egypt. I have 4 SILs so they didn't really give me a chance to cook much. When I did cook they acted like it was the best food they ever ate in their lives [Smile] They talked about it for days, lol!
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

wow!!! That's impressive!!!!

I guess I could only plan on cooking on the stove but I do have a few favorites that need an oven.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought cooker a few months ago. All the cookers ovens were in farenheit, I did not see any in celsius. In fact never seen a cooker oven in celsuis? [Confused]
Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

oh do they have slow cookers there??? that would make my life soooo easy!
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry reverse that..........they are all in celsius..........., I think maybe the old ones are in farenheit?
Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Degrees Fahrenheit Degrees Celsius Gas Mark Description
225 110
1/4
Very slow

250 120/130
1/2
Very slow

275 140
Slow

300 150
Slow

325 160/170
Moderate

350 180
Moderate

375 190
Moderately hot

400 200
Moderately hot

425 220
Hot

450 230
Hot

475 240
Very hot

maybe this will help you.......... [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com