EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » language question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: language question
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I go to my closest Borders to get an "Arabic for Dummies" book and cd, is there a certain dialect that exists in Cairo or is the generic Arabic just fine to understand?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look for something that specifically says *Egyptian Arabic.* It shouldn't be hard to find.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree, Arabic for Dummies and so on will not get you far if you want to use these kind of language skills in Egypt.

Why not making it more comfortable for yourself? Order from amazon.com. You will be very happy with the selection they offer specific on Egyptian Arabic.

Good luck with your studies! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I ordered a CD Pimsular Egyptian Arabic 1 conversation from Amazon. It is very good, but I am not very good at learning it. There is no book to refer to but they use a clever repetition technique to help it stick in your mind. Usuall do 30 mins to and from work each day. But this way have only learned 30 mins I think. Ha [Wink]
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Egyptian Arabic from Linguaphone to be good. It has a work book to go through at the same time as CDs to listen to. You can buy it direct from Linguaphone on the web, it was about £30 which I think is about $50???
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the beginners Egyptian Arabic from Linguaphone (4 CDs and a book) - its very good. How are you getting on with it. I've listened to all the CDs, and I've now gone back to the back to the book to persevere with the reading and writing of the arabic script.

Also got some books from Amazon and Waterstones, but some of them are advanced grammar etc and not sure if I'll ever progress that far to using them! Hope so, though.

I was baby-sitting the other weekend (my ex-husband's 4 yr old boy, my son's half-brother I've mentioned before) - he was staying with us, and I was playing the arabic CD - he ended up repeating some of the words and now understands 'yalla beena'! My 13 yr old son will only say 'Mah salaama' - he wont try anything else, hes too shy!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha, bilingual kids eh?!

Not really got too far into it yet, just finished the first CD, and not finding it too difficult yet (although I certainly would not say it is easy!!!!)

I can deal with most of the script, but get quite confused as to which D or d should be used, and the like.

Determined to succeed though, no matter how long it takes!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! I hate amazon only because I love the whole going into the bookstore experience...all the books, the new book smell in the air, the Starbucks, etc. lol.

I think I'll do it from amazon though just because you're right that there will be a wider selection.

Thanks again!

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's exactly the reason why I love to order frequently online from amazon. They have much more to offer than any bookstore you walk in. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com