EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » A recent visit to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A recent visit to Egypt
Aquafina
Member # 11714

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquafina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just returned from visiting Egypt from a 1 month trip. I have to say that seeing the pyramids, museums and other historical sites was very nice and will be a great memory.

I can't say that much of anything else will be a great memory however. I found so much wrong there. Me and my companion were almost killed by a wagon with a horse that was barreling down the road and the driver was looking in other direction. Luckily, we were not hurt and able to jump out of the way in time but this was something I was totally not prepared for. Another thing that disturbed me was the hygiene in Egypt. We were eating at a decent little restaurant with Egyptian food and I went to clean my hands and found two men with their feet in the sink. At first I was struck back by this and then I realized they were preparing for prayer in the middle of the restaurant sink. It was not a private bathroom but a sink for all to wash their hands. They then proceeded to pray near the sink blocking the way for others to pass. This is not a sanitary thing to be doing in a restaurant. These sorts of things should be done at that mosque or at home. Needless to say, I almost vomited from that and was not impressed. I don't know if this happens in all restaurants but it amazes me that a tourist would want to return after that. After that going to the toilet was an experience. The floor was soaking wet, the toilet was filthy, no soap and barely running water. It just seemed people only cared about washing for prayer and not waiting on their customers and caring about keeping themselves clean (hands) when serving.
The traffice is just awful. Worse than any larger city in the west and I don't know which box of cereal the drivers obtained their licenses from but God help anyone who doesn't get out of the way in time.
The harrassement of people trying to get you to buy something that you don't want and then watched over like hawks when you enter their tiny little shop. I felt like I should keep my hands up in the air in case they needed to shake me down. The streets are incredibly dirty and I was wondering why noone cared about cleaning up their trash. I held on to my soda cans and napkins in a plastic bag until I returned to the hotel to throw them away properly. I really felt foul after seeing people not caring about their country. It is such a shame since Egypt is one of the greatest wonders of the world, why doesn't anyone care enough to start fixing the problems there or do they just accept it as it is?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh oh... good evening, good luck and good bye! [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquafina
Member # 11714

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquafina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charm el Feikh?:
uh oh... good evening, good luck and good bye! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hello,

what did I say something wrong?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
em... well... ah...erm...

some egyptians dont like to hear people saying bad things about their country...

sorry, take no notice of me! welcome to ES.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icywill
Member # 10577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for icywill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you miss the point.The wonderfull people.Washing their feet in the sink.Wonderful!!
As Dorothy says "I'm not in Kansas any More!"

Posts: 5 | From: U.K | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icywill
Member # 10577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for icywill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Egypt so much, feet and all. I have bought a flat in Hurghada. Should be ready Sept. Cant wait!
Posts: 5 | From: U.K | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by icywill:
I think you miss the point.The wonderfull people.Washing their feet in the sink.Wonderful!!
As Dorothy says "I'm not in Kansas any More!"

im with you on that one... and welcome too!!!
icywill
Member # 10577

Rate Member
Thanks,though having read some of the cat fights on here,I may keep a low profile!!!
Aquafina
Member # 11714

Rate Member
I was just noticing some of those catfights. At least it looks like I am not the only one who feels/felt that way about Egypt. Not suprising when you come from a part of the world that is up to date with technology and lives in the current century at that.

QUOTE]Originally posted by icywill:
Thanks,though having read some of the cat fights on here,I may keep a low profile!!! [/QUOTE]

icywill
Member # 10577

Rate Member
We may be up to date with things but we have lost touch with a lot more.As to the Cat fights they aint about Egypt honey they are REAL PERSONAL!!!!
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
true. though fingers crossed, i feel today could well have seen the last of the worst of them.

we cant expect everyone to like eachother, but i think we can expect to be civil... being that were 'all growed up' and that! [Big Grin]

icywill
Member # 10577

Rate Member
Can't say I saw much civility,but it does make for interesting reading. I just wonder if people would say the same things if they were face to face.
How about an ES Big Brother. Bound to be a blockbuster and unmissable viewing!!!!!

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aquafina:
I really felt foul after seeing people not caring about their country. It is such a shame since Egypt is one of the greatest wonders of the world, why doesn't anyone care enough to start fixing the problems there or do they just accept it as it is?

Um, the average salary in Egypt is maybe $2,000 USD a year--it's a developing country. It is *completely* unrealistic to compare it to a highly-developed Western country. It's not fair to say they don't care about their country, they do. It's just not everyone there has the resources that *you* take for granted.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
hmmm, i agree sneezer (why all the name changes).. but is it too much to ask to not drop litter? i know its not much, but its something, and personally when i see someone drop litter it tells me something about that person. its just that whole 'someone else will clean it up' attitude, i hate it.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
hmmm, i agree sneezer (why all the name changes)..

You and Newcomer. [Wink]

Somebody was harassing me with multiple user names by PM, didn't want to block all private messages, so I was changing for a while. It seems to be over, but I kind of like changing the name now. Plus, I'm dying from ragweed right now, so the name is appropriate.

quote:

but is it too much to ask to not drop litter? i know its not much, but its something

I hate the littering part too, I agree. I guess I just felt when so many people are fighting just to put food on the table that public policy issues such as littering take a back seat. Not saying it's not important, because it is. It's just when faced with multiple problems, Egyptians like anyone else are going to prioritize.

It's not that I like every single little thing about Egypt, I don't. I just feel this original poster didn't do his/her homework before travelling, and had a really unrealistic expectation of what such a country was going to be like. Having a good idea what you are about to visit almost always makes the trip much more enjoyable.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Sure , Egypt is garbage compared to other country. But who made it garbage?? Ther are not the egyptian who made it. They are the stupid imperialists who thought one day that it's their right to occupy Egypt.

Thanks God, Egypt gained the full freedom in 1973.

Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Western countries are clean and people don't litter because the governements spent huge amounts of money on anti-litter campaigns. People were trained and educated to pick their litter up and take it home. The governments also spent huge amounts of money on trash bins and garbage disposal. If any of you can convince Hosni Mubarak and his government to give back some of their wealth to their people, Egypt might get a Keep Egypt Tidy campaign too.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
er.. slightly off topic, but still...

i like the way festival organisers deal with litter...

there is a massive bin centre, you can get a black bag from there, then if you bring it back full of rubbish you get a can of beer and another black bag!

there is never a rubbish problem!

islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

there is a massive bin centre, you can get a black bag from there, then if you bring it back full of rubbish you get a can of beer and another black bag!

Typical british! you remind me of one of my british friends.
Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by islamsweden.org:
quote:

Typical british! you remind me of one of my british friends.
[Confused] er.. is that a good thing?!

hey, the simple solutions are often the best!

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I went to clean my hands and found two men with their feet in the sink. At first I was struck back by this and then I realized they were preparing for prayer in the middle of the restaurant sink. It was not a private bathroom but a sink for all to wash their hands. They then proceeded to pray near the sink blocking the way for others to pass. This is not a sanitary thing to be doing in a restaurant. These sorts of things should be done at that mosque or at home. Needless to say, I almost vomited from that and was not impressed. I don't know if this happens in all restaurants but it amazes me that a tourist would want to return after that. After that going to the toilet was an experience. The floor was soaking wet, the toilet was filthy, no soap and barely running water. It just seemed people only cared about washing for prayer and not waiting on their customers and caring about keeping themselves clean (hands) when serving.

Hmm ok well i am hoping you mean that they cared more about washing for prayer and didnt care much about washing for waiting on customers cause if not that is a bit offensive cause one could read that and think that you mean that they cared more about washing to pray than they did about waiting on the customers. Of course they should care more about praying, its their religion and religion is a huge thing.. but you know i am hoping you meant about the washing thing. Anyway whats so offensive about people washing their feet in the sink? After all when they wash their hands in that sink they have often just wiped their butts and could have feces on them where as it is highly unlikely they would have this on their feet.... so whats the difference in hands or feet? And the majority of the country is muslim so again its normal for them to pray anywhere they are, not at home not in the mosque but at prayer time it matters not where you are, you pray. Its priority.

Now i do agree with the toilet things as i found almost all public toilets i visited were in need of attention, but i tried not to use them. The way of life in egypt is different, i personally love it. Yes i am accustomed to the standards the states hold us to in keeping streets and surroundings clean but the attitude of the people in egypt more than replaces that. Always so friendly and welcoming. And where in the states can you get mcdonalds or the pharmacy or the grocery store to deliver to your home?? Pizza hut yes but not the others unless you are completely disabled, then a pharmacy will come to you.
But my post was mainly about the comment on the prayers thing, again i certainly hope that you meant that being clean for prayers was more important to them than being clean to serve customers and not the way it sounded.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also...... when people wash their hands.... they normally do it under a running tap.... not by filling a bowl with water... so, what's the big deal??? Also.... they wash 5 times a day at least..... cleaner than most hands that have been near that sink!!!
If you 'almost vomit' at the sight of people washing for prayer, maybe you're right, a muslim country isn't the place for you to go!!! Praying takes 5 minutes.... hardly detracting from service!!!
Next time try Spain or Italy.....mostly catholics there!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TAREK307
Member # 7838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAREK307   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you had to see that....to sum it up maybe us EGYPTIANS are DIRTY PEOPLE!! i mean what other excuse can we say? i'm going to Egypt for the first time in 10 years next week, and if i see someon throwing **** in the street i'm gonna say somehting!!! ****'n dirtbags.. [Frown] Destroying my country!!

--------------------
MY BLOG
www.modernpharaoh.blogspot.com

http://www.myspace.com/tarek307

AOL,YAHOO,MSN TAREK307

Posts: 511 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mysticheart:
Anyway whats so offensive about people washing their feet in the sink? After all when they wash their hands in that sink they have often just wiped their butts and could have feces on them where as it is highly unlikely they would have this on their feet....

ROFL [Big Grin]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is wrong with washing your feet in the sink?? do you eat in the sink?
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
exactly. i think people can get a little bit anal when it comes to standards and hygiene etc (er.. if you know what i mean).. i like the quirkiness of things like that, its part of travelling.

i was a bit surprised at the toilets, having been in saudi before i thought all muslim countries would be the same, when it came to anything to do with ablutions etc... however when given the option to use the locals loo or the tourist one (at a price) i used the locals one. mind you, when youve been in some of the hell holes ive been in, egyptian toilets are just fine!!!!

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all Western countries are clean - my home town in South Yorkshire for example is NOT! drives me crazy - all the litter. There are plenty of litter bins available, but you should see my local bus shelter, on second thoughts - dont, its gross, full of half eaten food, empty bottles, vomit. A large problem is on Fri and Sat nights when people have been drinking and then on their way home buy a kebab or pizza, eat some, then throw the rest on away onto the kerb.
I live nr a pub, and as people walk down my street, the front gardens are littered with empty bottles, crisp packets, cig packets, there was a even a pint of beer in my front garden once.
Disgusting!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people's hospitality, kindness and their personality and character are far more important than the state of their public plumbing.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is the answer for feet washing.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GOLBARG/message/303

Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sara_uk:

Sara! Is this a joke or for real?
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Sara! Is this a joke or for real?
it is real, i saw this few months ago as business i dea but i guess it is on sale now. i was impressed but then thought why muslims took them all this years to come with simple idea.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Aquafina:
found two men with their feet in the sink. At first I was struck back by this and then I realized they were preparing for prayer in the middle of the restaurant sink. It was not a private bathroom but a sink for all to wash their hands. I don't know if this happens in all restaurants but it amazes me that a tourist would want to return after that.

I think you're autistic.
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
wow... just goes to show you, theres still plenty things out there that need inventing!!!
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt sure is veeeerrryyy different from Europe but different isn't always = bad. I like the differences (or atleast most of them) thats what makes a holiday in Egypt exciting. If I wanted a place exactly like Denmark - well then I would have stayed home.......
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tibe:
Egypt sure is veeeerrryyy different from Europe but different isn't always = bad. I like the differences (or atleast most of them) thats what makes a holiday in Egypt exciting. If I wanted a place exactly like Denmark - well then I would have stayed home.......

lol Tibe Exactly that what I like about Egypt but I have been in Saudi so I was not shocked but my friends who born and lived in London loved Egypt too, they even loved the madness of cars and the horn and how people cross the road?? It just makes us laugh and when we were going back to the airport we were so sad that will miss all that.

Tibe you have been to London? I think that will be a shock for most Danish because I have been to Denmark and I have seen how clean it is.

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have been to London - An yes London is also very different from Denmark and not what I suspected it to be. I had a very good time there. And yes Denamrk is very clean - we get a ticket 500 DKR. (52 GBP,- 80 EURO) for troughing garbage in the street....
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tibe:

lol Tibe Exactly that what I like about Egypt but I have been in Saudi so I was not shocked but my friends who born and lived in London loved Egypt too, they even loved the madness of cars and the horn and how people cross the road?? It just makes us laugh and when we were going back to the airport we were so sad that will miss all that.

Tibe you have been to London? I think that will be a shock for most Danish because I have been to Denmark and I have seen how clean it is.

Sara, have you ever driven a car in egypt?
Just curious, or have you just taken rides in taxis and microbuses?

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you get over the initial fear of getting behind a wheel here and adjust your mind to the local driving style, it is soooooo much nicer to drive than to be driven in a taxi or bus....you're in charge and you make the decisions [Smile]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8171648464536592215&q=cairo+traffic

nutter

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
its no where near as bad as Lima or Kathmandu...

this is the only clip google had but if i showed you some of my footage you'd see why i think egypt isnt so bad.

in lima we were hit 5 times between the airport and the hotel, and they lean out of vans shooting pistols in the air!

not joking!

newcomer
Member # 1056

Bangkok was my worst road experience...five lanes of tuk-tuks roaring away to set off when the lights turned red and another five lanes of cars getting ready to overtake them!
king-snefru
Member # 11670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for king-snefru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Bangkok was my worst road experience...five lanes of tuk-tuks roaring away to set off when the lights turned red and another five lanes of cars getting ready to overtake them!

LOL [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 121 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by more tea vicar?:
Sara, have you ever driven a car in egypt?
Just curious, or have you just taken rides in taxis and microbuses? [/QB]

none of the above. i had a driver in both times and I will never drive in Egypt even if I lived there. I think you are very brave to drive in cairo.
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see,
I think you will find scots very direct, we dont beat about the bush, we say it like it is, that is our nature. We say as we see things, and not afraid to speak up. Maybe some people see this as starting a fight, but to us we are just being direct and getting to the point.
I am certianly not looking for a fight, I am expressing myself, I am describing my experiences.
What does annoy me though is people who dont live in egypt, who try to tell me what life is like here. There are many. They have either a touristic or media image of life in egypt. They come for a few weeks and are experts. I am not an expert, I am finding my way. I have a husband who understands how difficult that is. Not until you have lived here can you possibly know what I am talking about, or understand.
That is why the soundest advice comes from people in my own situation, people living it just like me.
If you took my posts to be argumentative then I am sorry. No offence was meant.
As you are aware there is an undercurrent of tension. Some members like spotlight, some like to provoke, I am just saying things as I see it. Nothing more.
We may see peace here in the next 10 days...............hopefully.........

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
more tea vicar

Point taken and iam sorry if I misunderstood you. I am not Scottish but I also tell it as it is and I do not take sides or involve in cat fights because 1. I do not have the time and 2. I can not take some of the insults that said here. There are too much politics here and personal issue and it is really sad because we have nice mix of people here from around the world, with different cultures and opinions. The forum threads are full with insults than information about Egypt. Anyway hope things work out for you in Egypt.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com