EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Ramadam - Etiquette?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramadam - Etiquette?
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trip is looming (2nd Sept to Alex) and I believe it is Ramadan. Is there anything I need to know, e.g. what not to do - so that I do not offend any locals? Have read some bits but appreciate ES advice. [Smile]
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingspirit :)
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- dont hang around in the street during iftar time [Wink]
2- dont drink, smoke or chew gum before iftar time

but if you are a foreigner i dont think they would really care

good luck

--------------------
Always remembering that we are nothing without His Merciful hand over us.

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramadan isn't until Sept. 23 inshallah.

LS gave some good advice [Smile]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePinkCamel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you need to worry about being polite about the fast if you are out in public. Perhaps if you are meeting with people in a personal way, it is polite not to drink water/smoke/eat. There are many people in Egypt who don't fast because they are not muslim, sick, or some other reason. I don't know why one can't hang out in the street at iftar time, loving spirit - unless one is worried about getting run over by a taxi hurrying to get home.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pink camel if a person would do so, they would look at you with despise, not mentionning cursing you..(among themselves). and if near a village god forbid...still you are going to be cursed. [Smile] why not being nice and just keep a low key,, some are fanatics over there...also, non moslem are minority there and even them they do suffer because of that
again good luck to our friend

--------------------

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's just polite to not eat in front of ppl who are fasting. Even here my friends and co-workers will apologize for eating while I'm fasting. It doesn't bother me but it may bother others.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,all.I'm new here,from sunny Puerto Rico.
I will be for one week in Cairo from 8-15 October 2006,and just read here that Ramadan will be in September.
From when until when does it lasts?

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePinkCamel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is polite when at someones house or in an office maybe -but one can't expect a tourist not to eat/drink all day or try to sneak around to do it. Especially since they are living in a hotel usually with no kitchen. No one is going to care if a tourist eats in a restaurant that is open anyway. We are talking about a fairly large city here (Alexandria), not a village. No fanatics are going to be upset. People might wonder why someone is eating if they think they are Muslim but that is about it. I wouldn't stand there eating while talking with someone I know is fasting if I am not, but I wouldn't expect someone not fasting to not eat either!
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

It will last from approx. Sept. 23-Oct. 23...give or take a day or two.
ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
You will be there during the 3rd week of Ramadan Sashyra. It will last either 29 or 30 days depending on the sighting of the moon.
Member # 11660

Rate Member
i dig you pinky [Wink]

--------------------

henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information.

I really like this forum.WeŽll keep reading around.

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lovingspirit:
pink camel if a person would do so, they would look at you with despise, not mentionning cursing you..(among themselves).

I've often been on the street during iftar time and I've never been stared at disapprovingly. And although the streets are fairly empty during that hour there are always some people going somewhere.

I've been dragged into a restaurant and been urged to eat with complete strangers though, which I thought was very nice.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok.. heres a stupid question: What is iftar time?? (is that from sun down to sunrise??)
Ill be in egypt on my birthday the 30th of october.. does that colaps with Ramadan?? Furthermore, what is custom to eat and drink durin ramadan (in the timeperiod where its allowed to eat and drink)

Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help folks.
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iftar means "breakfast", so iftar time is the time when the sun is going down and people are breaking their daily fast.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you dalia. and what does people eat??
Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
destinychild
Member # 11733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for destinychild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the end of ramadan is on 24 oct. After the sun sets, the fast is broken with iftar (usually fruits). Iftar usually begins with dates and sweet drinks
Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
I have just found a link which gave a bit of basic information. Aimed at school kids but gave me an insight.

http://www.thomasvillecentral.com/NN4.htm

imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
great site!!!!
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Not interested exactly into a religious question here,but what are muslims banned from doing during Ramadan?And do those restrictions end at night each day,or do they last until the end of Ramadan?It just sparked some interest in me here.
I`m very respectful of all religions,just wanted to know more.

imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
tjek the link above.. it certainly helped me understand a little more :-)
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra88:
Not interested exactly into a religious question here,but what are muslims banned from doing during Ramadan?And do those restrictions end at night each day,or do they last until the end of Ramadan?It just sparked some interest in me here.
I`m very respectful of all religions,just wanted to know more.

It's no eating, drinking, or sexual relations between sun up and sun down. You're also not supposed to say anything bad about anyone...

But once the Maghrib (sunset) prayer time arrives, you can do all of the above again right through until the Fajr (dawn) prayers the next morning. [Big Grin]

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact after Maghrib, once Muslims have broken their fast they should spend a lot of time in worship, for example praying, going to the mosque, and reading the Qur'an.

It is generally a month that Muslims should try to get a spiritual overhaul, and so they try to get involved in giving in charity, spending time with their relatives, and trying to be as good as they can be.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it appropriate to say "happy ramadan"?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Yes, doodle, it would be appropriate. Also you can say "Ramadan Kareem" or "Ramadan Mubarak" and on Eid you can say "Eid Mubarak" or as many say in Egypt "Kolsana wenti tayeba" (to a woman) or "Kolsana wenta tayeb" (for a man) both mean "every year and you are good".
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

If you follow sunnah, typical iftar would include tamr (dates). It's typical to eat tamr, shourba (soup of some kind), samboosa (dough filled with spiced ground meat that is fried), etc. It's a lighter meal before dinner.
ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
I think of Ramadan as a spiritual 'boot camp' that helps me to rid myself of the negative habits I have accumulated through the year. It really makes one examine themselves for these errors and hopefully overcome them. There is a saying that the shaitain (devils) are in chains during this month- meaning that any whisper of tempatation to do bad that you succumb to, comes from your own desires and not the whisper of the shaitain. That way you can correct the things that come from yourself, your own ego, your own desires- and you won't be so weak when the shaitain whisper to you.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThePinkCamel:
I think of Ramadan as a spiritual 'boot camp' that helps me to rid myself of the negative habits I have accumulated through the year. It really makes one examine themselves for these errors and hopefully overcome them. There is a saying that the shaitain (devils) are in chains during this month- meaning that any whisper of tempatation to do bad that you succumb to, comes from your own desires and not the whisper of the shaitain. That way you can correct the things that come from yourself, your own ego, your own desires- and you won't be so weak when the shaitain whisper to you.

I like that, it's actually taking responsibility for your own actions and not just blaming weaknesses on the devil, which is what I hear so often.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com