EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » er.... Visiting Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: er.... Visiting Egypt?
RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RamesesII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

just joined this forum - some pretty off-the-wall stuff going on but if I can contribute I will. What follows is just based on my own experience.

just came back from Egypt yesterday - WOW!!! 4 days Luxor-Aswan cruise, 1 day Old Cataract, 4 days Aswan Abu Simbel - 1 day Old Cataract, 4 days Cairo.

Anyone going got any questions just reply to this thread.

To note:
Egypt Air is CRAP they like to give foregners crap seats and will dump a scheduled flight without warning if it suits them to do so (mind you so will BA).
The Egyptian peddlers are the scum of the Earth and could easily ruin ur holiday if you let them.
EVERYONE Egyptian you meet will be after your cash. Anyone approaches you and strikes up a conversation will want money, police included.
Corruption is everywhere and everyone with little exception is on the take.

We loved it but won't return. Their culture is just so much at odds with ours (British anyway) what is unacceptable to us is the norm for them.

Posts: 9 | From: Solus III | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am sorry you feel that way . i am from the usa and never had a problem i love egypt and will be leaving in 4 days to go back for the 3rd time in a year.yes alot of them want cash but just say no.the people in the small towns are wonderful and loving people and treat me like a queen, like i said sorry you dont like it . I LOVE EGYPT [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry if you feel like this. I like Egypt Air and always had a good seat, never had my flight cancelled (was this in the wake of recent events, as a lot of companies had to 'dump flights')as opposed to B.A.

Not everyone that approaches you want money, they want to practise their english and kids like seeing the tourists.

HMMMMM

You went to a foreign country,for a HOLIDAY. Want do you want/expect? Do you want Egypt and Egyptains to change their way of life, to suit you and wot is acceptable in your mind?

Or is it lack of understanding and open mindeness on your part? I remember walking round Hussien/roxy and listening to the tourists and ex pats complaining about Egypt (no-one asked you to visit), it's a holiday maybe tourists don't like our culture in the uk. Build a bridge, develop the photographs and enjoy.

Egyptians are a warm loving people and accept people from all over the world with a smile.
So lighten up.
Would like to point out that a cruise isn't the best way of seeing Egypt and fully appreciating the life and culture.

Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pity you are not returning for another holiday - you'll missing out on a lot.

Sure, hawkers trying to sell you stuff as you walk past can be annoying, just as they are in Tunisia and Turkey, but thats how they make a living. As for calling them the scum of the earth - I don't think so.

I've met kind, hospitable people and so did my son, he made friends with 2 boys a little older than him and they took him to play football and gave him gifts and fruit for his journey home - they didnt ask for any money.

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sad you left Egypt feeling like that. I found a 'no thankyou' (la shukran) and walking on by gave me no problems with the peddlers. But, 'scum of the Earth' is a bit strong don't you think? Everyone has to make a living some how, and for one I am glad that this is not the way I have to survive in life. Having done some telemarketing, that was bad enough lol. I used to like getting involved with a bit of banter and sometimes you learn something about the sellers and find the people warm and good humoured behind the sales pitch. I do hope you return some day. Good luck [Smile]
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RamesesII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!!!! [Wink]

I knew I'd get this response. "scum of the Earth" - well the way we were pushed around and manhandled outside the Solar Boat Museum was nothing short of a disgrace. So I stand by that - not all are I admit, some just accept "la shukran" others won't and just keep hassling. The "no one asked you to go" comment well actually they did cos it's advertised on telly. And I expect to be respected as I respect them not just regarded as a source for money which is what it boils down to.

We will return of course - I'm just highlighting one aspect that is a BIG turn-off for us. [Smile]

Posts: 9 | From: Solus III | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er they do respect you, but i think you were being over sensitive and had high expectations.Being manhandled? and pushed around? mmm another over reaction i fear. When it's busy anywhere you get caught up in the hustle and bustle I've been pushed around in a crowd when trying to get on the last bus in alex back to agami, but I didn't take it personally.
Wot do you do when you go to a football match? stand queitly? Build a bridge.
Egyptians like tourists so they can have fun with them keep this in mind and a firm No is fine. Next time lighten up and enjoy

Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ael_husseiny
Member # 10201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ael_husseiny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u see to have a small problem of being a miser on holidays

u will never enjoy egypt coz u dont have money to spend it here

--------------------
samir

Posts: 150 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey rameses II i thought they just moved you to Giza!! [Big Grin]

I know what you mean about Egypt though, not a chippy in sight is there [Roll Eyes]

If you want it without the hassle its best to have a guide thats there for you without the million other tourists, that way you dont get hearded around and hassled. [Wink] if you go back pm me and i will sort it, cant promise on the chippy though [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree a bit here with ramses
The pyramids is a complete nightmare. I went there a few weeks ago with my egy husband. From the turn off to the entrance we were followed every single step of the way. I mean from the entrance to the exit. As soon as we turned the corner the hawkers pounced and told us we needed a caleche!! you could not reach the pyramids without it. Total rubbish it was minutes away. They followed and hassled us the whole way. I said no thank you, non, nein, la'a shukran and go away you are sending me crazy......nothing stopped them. My husband spoke to them in arabic, told them politely to stop, told them we were not interested in a ride, a statue, book marks, tiny pyramids etc etc etc. In the end I ended up buying a statue to get rid of them, but as soon as they saw us buy one thing that was it!! we were swarmed..........I ended up telling one young boy and his grandfather the whole road from the pyramid to the sphynx 'did they want to buy a statue from me!!!!
They were so confused that I was trying to sell them back a statue, we laughed but it was so tiring and we could not enjoy the visit at all. In the end we left so pissed off by them. I think the pyramids are particularly bad, as mostly anywhere else a firm la'a suffices but they target these places and should be stopped by the authorities from pestering the tourists.
I found Egyptair no problem at all each time I have flown, and a package holiday be it cruise plus a week here or there is really not seeing Egypt. All those temples. By the end of it you are 'templed out'
Ramses come back and do your own thing another time.
[Smile]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
Ya Ragal - you weren't there - so you don't know enough to make an informed comment. Being jostled in a crowd and getting literally manhandled are 2 different things - get some perspective why don't you. Everyone on the tour commented on these people!

ael_husseiny - don't be so arrogant - I'll buy what I want to buy - not what some prat tells me I need - that's not miserly!

RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
Jamsie thanks for your supportive post - you sound to have had it worse than us! [Smile]

I know what you mean about temples - having a prob with our photos remembering which was which - good job I kept a brief journal of where we went as our itinerary went totally to pot.

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Let me see, I have been a tourist in LUXOR/CAIRO/SHARM/DAHAB/HURGADA AND HAD NO PROBLEMS.

I lived in Cairo for 8 years and used to take my Mother and Aunt sightseeing when they visited and had NO PROBLEMS.

My Aunt and her friend went on a crusie to ASWAN and they had NO PROBLEMS with the peddlers and either said "No" or just ignored them which usually does the job.

They didn't return bitching and complaining about being man handled, or pushed around. THEY WENT WITH AN OPEN MIND.

I know about the toursits complainig constantly to the tour guides, they seem to think that the tour guides own the streets and shops.

When we were trying to catch the last bus back from Alex to Agami, or even shopping at mouski in hussien (where the tourists don't venture) you have never seen anything like it. It was an experience.

DID I BITCH AND MOAN? NO I BUILT A BRIDGE AND GOT OVER IT.

DINI AYA HAGA.

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

[Roll Eyes]
nileodyssey
Member # 11073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nileodyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a shame you had such a crap time. Please go back I do not understand why there was such a problem. I have visited as a single female and no I am not old and I don't think I am too ugly [Confused] and I have never had a problem, I have only been shown respect but perhaps that is because I have only ever shown respect. Once again I feel sorry for you for having such a bad time. With regard to Egypt Air, I only ever travel with them and have always found them to be wonderful!!!!!
Posts: 63 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ya Ragal:
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Let me see, I have been a tourist in LUXOR/CAIRO/SHARM/DAHAB/HURGADA AND HAD NO PROBLEMS.

I lived in Cairo for 8 years and used to take my Mother and Aunt sightseeing when they visited and had NO PROBLEMS.

My Aunt and her friend went on a crusie to ASWAN and they had NO PROBLEMS with the peddlers and either said "No" or just ignored them which usually does the job.

They didn't return bitching and complaining about being man handled, or pushed around. THEY WENT WITH AN OPEN MIND.

I know about the toursits complainig constantly to the tour guides, they seem to think that the tour guides own the streets and shops.

When we were trying to catch the last bus back from Alex to Agami, or even shopping at mouski in hussien (where the tourists don't venture) you have never seen anything like it. It was an experience.

DID I BITCH AND MOAN? NO I BUILT A BRIDGE AND GOT OVER IT.

DINI AYA HAGA.

go build a bridge somewhere else you daft cow - I'm trying to relate my personal experience if you can understand that concept.
RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nileodyssey:
What a shame you had such a crap time. Please go back I do not understand why there was such a problem. I have visited as a single female and no I am not old and I don't think I am too ugly [Confused] and I have never had a problem, I have only been shown respect but perhaps that is because I have only ever shown respect. Once again I feel sorry for you for having such a bad time. With regard to Egypt Air, I only ever travel with them and have always found them to be wonderful!!!!!

but we didn't have a crap time - it was fab! just the odd peddlar that wouldn't take "la" for an answer and the vile heavies at the "solar boat" museum.

Also had a tourist policeman screaming at us "I am Policeman give me tips!!!" when we tried to go for a walk to see the Rameses 2 statue moved to its new location. What he should have said was "I am corrupt Policeman give me tips" needless to say we ignored the pillock.

nileodyssey
Member # 11073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nileodyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness u really do have a problem this person was doing exactly what you were doing relating their experience. Once again I am sorry you had such a bad experience [Frown]
Posts: 63 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

DID YOU HAVE TO BE NASTY AND PERSONAL?????????????

I THINK NOT GO BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER YOURSELF MORON

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

mmmm

ONLY YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES?????

WANNA LISTEN TO MINE SINCE MY RETURN TO THE UK????

RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
quote:
mmmm

ONLY YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES?????

WANNA LISTEN TO MINE SINCE MY RETURN TO THE UK????

couldn't give a $h1t about your expereiences - you were aggressive and obnoxious from square one, accusing me of not being open minded etc "lack of understanding and open mindeness on your part" and "no-one asked you to visit" "over reaction" "over sensitive" "bitching and complaining about being man handled" etc

AND THAT'S NOT NASTY AND PERSONAL?

how the f*** have you the arrogance to comment on ME or my experience? and you are such a bloody hero "building bridges" etc... etc... etc.. <YAWN!>

I love Egypt and 99.99999% of it's people, but there's a bad apple in every bunch (in this case - IT'S YOU lol! [Smile] )

Do me a favour and go away.

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Egypt Air is CRAP they like to give foregners crap seats and will dump a scheduled flight without warning if it suits them to do so (mind you so will BA).
The Egyptian peddlers are the scum of the Earth and could easily ruin ur holiday if you let them.
EVERYONE Egyptian you meet will be after your cash. Anyone approaches you and strikes up a conversation will want money, police included.

We loved it but won't return. Their culture is just so much at odds with ours (British anyway) what is unacceptable to us is the norm for them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I knew I'd get this response. "scum of the Earth" - well the way we were pushed around and manhandled outside the Solar Boat Museum was nothing short of a disgrace. So I stand by that - not all are I admit, some just accept "la shukran" others won't and just keep hassling. The "no one asked you to go" comment well actually they did cos it's advertised on telly. And I expect to be respected as I respect them not just regarded as a source for money which is what it boils down to.

And this is a man who talks about respect, mmmmmm
shame you don't know the meaning of it. Aggressieve??? POT - KETTLE - BLACK DARLING

I wanna build the bridge so I can burry you in the foundations of it ya cosmoac,
yallah ya SHARMOOT.

oh by the way

FACE BOVVERED? DO I CARE?

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

OH BY THE BY YA KHWAGA YA AMO RAMESES I AINT EGYPTIAN!!!!!

BUT AS I SAID B4

FACE - BOVVERED?

RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is a man who talks about respect, mmmmmm
shame you don't know the meaning of it. Aggressieve??? POT - KETTLE - BLACK DARLING

I wanna build the bridge so I can burry you in the foundations of it ya cosmoac,
yallah ya SHARMOOT.

oh by the way

FACE BOVVERED? DO I CARE?

<YAAAAAWWWNNNNN!!!!>

someone wake me up when the tedious tarts gone away will you? [Smile]

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO NASTY RESORT TO NAME CALLING? THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT SHARING EXPERIENCES? YANNI, I THINK YOU ARE A VERY SAD AND ANGRY MAN. TAKE A PILL AND CHILL OUT A BIT, OR GO HAVE A BEER, A SLEEP AND COME BACK WHEN YOUR HUMAN AGAIN.

IT'S CALLED A DIFFERENCE OF MINDS AND ATTITUDES BUT I SUPPOSE IT'S NICE WHERE YOU COME FROM? MET YOUR TYPE B4.

SO ANGRY SUCH LITTLE TIME. SOME WITH THE INSULTS COS I GOT BORRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD
YOUR LIKE A BABY WHO'S LOST A DUMMY, NOW GO DRINK YOUR MILK AND GET TO BED OH LITTLE ONE

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RamesesII:
but we didn't have a crap time - it was fab! just the odd peddlar that wouldn't take "la" for an answer and the vile heavies at the "solar boat" museum.

Hmmmm, that's a far different picture than your original post. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

EVERYONE Egyptian you meet will be after your cash.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RamesesII
Member # 11783

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Queasier:
quote:

Hmmmm, that's a far different picture than your original post. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

EVERYONE Egyptian you meet will be after your cash.

Hi Queasier,

If you read it again you'll see the word WOW! The negatives were under the heading "to note" intending to indicate they were pretty unimportant in the overall scheme of things. I was trying to warn others what to watch out for. The jostling of my wife near the solar boat including forcibly pulling her hat off and putting her a cheap crap arab headdress on which she didn't want (while repeating "no money - no money")while 2 other guys stood between us so I couldn't get near. Then demanding payment which we gave them just to get out of the situation, what we really wanted to do was throw the rubbish on the floor and walk off. Others may find their behaviour acceptable - we don't.

I don't think that in a package tour situation you get to meet any Egyptians that aren't after your money - we didn't on this occasion.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone

I think it depends on individual days. I have been to the pyramids many many times, on the whole it has been a hassle, but there were a few times we were left alone simply because the other tourists were getting the hassle. It depends on what time you go and how many visitors there are. If you go a less bust time there is more chance of you being targetted. I have to agree theough our last visit made me so mad. They followed us from start to finish and we ended up cutting the visit short because we could not even talk to each other about the view and sights etc for the sellers interrupting our conversation. the only time they actually shut up was when one of the horses pulling a caleche with an arabic woman in it slid the entire way down the path from the top of the hill on its back, dragging the caleche behind it. It was horrific. The right side of that road is like a skating rink and these poor animals are terrified out of their wits. I think all sellers should be banned from the sight, with just a few decent camel men for photos at a set price. That would make the visit much more enjoyable. The sellers could be kept outside the confines and the visitors who want anything can approach THEM.

Just my thoughts...............

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com