EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » best tourist site?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best tourist site?
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, i'll have a real, loving Egyptian to take me on my tours [Smile] BUT....meanwhile I'm now wicked excited since I've actually booked my flight to Cairo so what are some good touristy online sites I can visit and obsess on?

[Smile]

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like books, myself. You can look at Lonely Planet's info on Egypt online though.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/africa/egypt

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenngirl9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When are you going???
Are you taking a tour with a company or just alone with ur guy? Be prepared for him to be stopped alot at least until ur married. The tourist police stopped us almost every time.

Posts: 96 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
really? that's good to know I guess. I hope I don't look too much like a tourist though. I'll be dressed very modestly (long skirt, long shirt, hijab) so hopefully all will be ok.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What colour is your hair, skin though? You might still look like a non-egyptian, and you can still be stopped and asked to produce marriage papers. It depends where you are travelling as well, for example if you are not married you can't share the same sleeper cabin on the train. Remember: It is not usual for egyptian couples to kiss and embrace in public.
But dont let that stop you from having a wonderful holiday - egypt is a great place. There are some fantastic sights to see and experience. I'm looking forward to my next 2 visits.

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenngirl9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can ask for ajoining cabin cars though, and you can freely go to each others train cabin, through the inside ajoining door. HAHA.
Posts: 96 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does this mean, getting stopped by tourist police? [Confused] At places like the Egyptian Museum or the pyramids? Or something else?
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
When you go into tour sites and various places, if an Egyptian man and a foreign woman pass by them, they will most of the time, call the Egyptian man over to them and ask them why they are with them etc etc. They do not want foreigners harrassed, and they look down on it. I was in Egypt with my daugher and her Egyptian boyfriend went with us on tours with one of his friends, and they were stopped at least 10 times.
tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
also, we had a private tour guide, and he did not want them holding hands at the sites in public etc and asked my daughters boyfriend to not hold hands with her. He refused and told him that he was a paying person in the tour also, and it was non of his business. The tour guide talked to me about it and asked me if i could make them stop holding hands, I told him that in America its no big deal to hold hands and that this trip was for them. They were not having sex behind the pyramids or anything crazy just holding hands and i told him that I would not make them stop. so the guide said that I would have to find someone else to tour us, so we called the company and they sent someone else that didnt mind about hand holding.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Weird. When my husband and I went to tour stuff in Cairo, (he was then my fiance) he was never harassed, or even stopped by tourist police. I think they were more thorough with him in the metal detectors, when they just waived me through. But that's all I remember.

Perhaps it's because we're older -- husband's in his 40s and I'm in my late 30s.

And we never held hands. I'd hold onto his arm crossing streets and stuff - nobody could have prevented me from doing that. [Big Grin]

tenngirl9
Member # 9948

Rate Member
yea it might be the age. I am talking teenagers here. Ha Ha. I felt sorry for them having to explain they knew us a long time etc. It was a little intimidating!!. I would go over and try to rescue them, but they really looked down on the fact , or maybe they were jealous, cause they are such a cute couple. haha
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for schoolbound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i lived in egypt for three years and although im hijabi i definetly look like a foreigner and do not speak much arabic and we were never stopped ever, anywhere or asked to produce any kind of papers, going thur most security checkpoints the most i was asked was to see passport just to verify who i am.
Posts: 29 | From: florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To actually answer your question about the best tourist website I would say www.touregypt.net it is very comprehensive having loads of history, tour information etc etc and it covers all of Egypt.

Have a wonderful time

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

rofl thanks akshar!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com