EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » recipe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recipe
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone know how to cook fereek rice? [Confused]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fereek is green wheat.

First of all you need to prepare the fereek a couple of hours ahead. Wash it well and drain.

Put the green wheat in a plastic bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave for 2 hours then drain.

In a medium deep pan heat and stir margarine and onion until golden. Add green wheat, salt and pepper and stir.

Add the rice (I do it before adding any water) to fry with the other ingredients and stir for a couple of minutes. Western rice cooks fast, but Egyptian rice needs to be medium cooked before you add it to your pan.

Add water after one or two minutes of stirring (watch it for the small explosion [Big Grin] ).

Let boil until the rice is cooked, depending on the type of rice (check the package).

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Fereek is green wheat.

First of all you need to prepare the fereek a couple of hours ahead. Wash it well and drain.
Put the green wheat in a plastic bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave for 2 hours then drain.
In a medium deep pan heat and stir margarine and onion until golden. Add green wheat, salt and pepper and stir.

Add the rice (I do it before ading any water) to fry with the other ingredients and stir for a couple of minutes. Western rice cooks fast, but Egyptian rice needs to be medium cooked before you add it to your pan.

Add water after one or two minutes of stirring (watch it for the small explosion [Big Grin] ).

Let boil until the rice is cooked, depending on the type of rice (check the package).

u r clever [Smile]
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it doesnt have any thing on the package of how to cook it . but thanks my kingdom. i was just at an egyptian festival on sat and bought some filmilar spices and rice and cheeses. the food reminded me of egypt . when i was in egypt i had pigein with this rice in it . so i cook it first then stuff the bird ? i tryed it it was execellent
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by micky azzam:
it doesnt have any thing on the package of how to cook it . but thanks my kingdom. i was just at an egyptian festival on sat and bought some filmilar spices and rice and cheeses. the food reminded me of egypt . when i was in egypt i had pigein with this rice in it . so i cook it first then stuff the bird ? i tryed it it was execellent

What does pigeon taste like? I have seen my BF eat it but I can't bring myself to try it. Is it 'strong' tasting or like turkey or something?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is delicouse it almost is chicken and turkey mixed try it it is wonderful especially the fereek inside
[Smile]

doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are pigeons there as laden with disease as they are here?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
not at all i wouldnt eat pigeon in the usa
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat pidgeon in the UK, its a bit stronger in flavour than general poultry, which I normally find bland. [Wink]
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
alot of spices and salt and pepper will do the trick [Smile]
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just prefer stronger tasting meat. Things like pheasant and partridge are fantastic!! Mmmm, its getting to the time of year to be cooking them too. Can't wait!
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by micky azzam:

You actually do need a bird to have the best taste of the Fereek Rice recipe. [Wink]

If you stuff the mixture in the bird, then cooking the rice in advance is not necessary, you can shove the stuffed bird in the oven and you're done.

However, it takes ages to have it ready. So my advice is to boil the bird first, half cook the Fereek mixture, then cover the bird with some spices and do it in the oven. It takes less time and the bird is also less hard.

Pigeons are the most delicious birds I have eaten. They say the smaller the birds the more yummy. I have never eaten them without Fereek rice filling. That's a typical Egyptian meal.

You can't go to Egypt without having a taste of those.

But be careful, it will knock you out immediately! So don't expect to do much after that meal!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
my husband can eat 2 at one sitting . i dont know how he does iy but it very delicous, i will admit. do they grill the pidgeon ?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com