EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » egyptian arabic phrasebook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: egyptian arabic phrasebook
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this book from amazon.com and have been studying it. Well the other night I was joking around and said to my Egyptian friend, "mumkin tinazzil it taman?".

He had no clue what I said. Not even when I wrote it down. It's supposed to mean, per this book, "can you lower the price?".

What the heck. I paid and waited for this book, have been studying it all for nothing???? Are there better books around that egytpians will actually understand when I say stuff from it??? I'm sooo mad now. [Mad]

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont stress doodle!! I have many Arabic teaching books and ANYTHING I try to say to my husband he hasnt got a clue either [Big Grin] I think they dont take account of our accents and probably our slight errors, like when he said to me happy anniversity i knew he meant anniversary [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meyya Meyya by Osama A.Hegazi is new and is a great start. It also comes with a CD for the pronounciation.
Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
myheartwillgoon
Member # 12224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for myheartwillgoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Mom bought me an Egyptian Arabic tape from Pimselur Language off the internet. It had 8 cd for beginning Egyptian arabic and they understand you so good and its so easy. It teaches you how to say the words exactly and basic phrases.
Posts: 45 | From: kentucky usa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also depends on where you are in Egypt. My Luxor husband has difficulty even understanding a Cairo accent!!! certain words are pronounced differntly in different places, some use a hard 'g' some a soft 'g' which is more of a 'j' sound. I think the phrasebooks and cassettes will use Cairo dialects as its the capital and the most populated.

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spacedust:
Meyya Meyya by Osama A.Hegazi is new and is a great start. It also comes with a CD for the pronounciation.

That's a very good one for beginners, he focusses on the important basics and his explanations are quite good. The only disadvantage in my opinion is that he uses transcriptions instead of Arabic.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is actually very good.

He used to teach at The Oasis Language School and uses many of their principles.

I have just finished an extremely intensive course there and find am easily understood even with my Scottish accent.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by satanmademedoit:
It is actually very good.

He used to teach at The Oasis Language School and uses many of their principles.

I have just finished an extremely intensive course there and find am easily understood even with my Scottish accent.

Hi satanmademedoit!

Do you have any details about the course you did or do they have a website?

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a class from www.arabacademy.com

They are so good. You can even get college credit for it.

They have MSA Egyptian Colloquial Quran Speaking.

Check it out I loved it.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
I took a class from www.arabacademy.com

They are so good. You can even get college credit for it.

They have MSA Egyptian Colloquial Quran Speaking.

Check it out I loved it.

agree!!
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically I should toss this book I got right? lol
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
nah dont toss it, keep it for reference coz one day you might meet an Egyptian with that dialect that will understand [Big Grin]

--------------------

memodesign
Member # 12308

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for memodesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is lots of books online even ..
you can search in google about Egyptian Books .
and dont be mad please . [Smile]

http://www.m3loma4u.com

--------------------
http://www.m3loma4u.com

Zawag - Friends

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com