EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » what should i buy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what should i buy?
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I know I'll be in Cairo and in Alexandria. When I ask everyone what they want me to bring back for them they ask, "well what are they known for other than cotton?".

I honestly don't know......so what should I buy? What is a good deal in Egypt that is unique? [Confused]

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean just for souvenirs?

Go to Khan Al Khalili....there are tons of things to buy, from beautiful scarves to towla boards to gold to scarab beetle souvenirs to papyrus.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's a towla board and a scarab beetle? Yeah I mean for souvenirs.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Towla is backgammon. A scarab beetle is a little dung beetle that was revered by ancient Egyptians. There are tons of tiny scarab souvenirs that look like they are brass or something. Very heavy. I gave one to my nephew and he loved it.

Here's a pic of a towla board. This one is advertised for $125 which seems insane. I think I paid about $15 USD for mine, can't remember. My father in law bargained them down for me. [Wink]

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-2694796729383_1899_3280645&imgrefurl=http://www.pyramidimports.com/artsandcrafts/apab517.htm&h= 472&w=480&sz=86&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=JsGnKS0Vj0oglM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Degyptian%2Bbackgammon%2Bboard%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

I brought back a gold cartouche for myself, bought at Khan al Khalili. I also got a gold ankh pendant for a friend of mine, at a jewelry shop in Heliopolis. Gold is cheap there, compared to the U.S.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Scarab beetle - jewelry and souvenirs.

http://www.egyptiandreams.co.uk/index.php?cPath=43

daria1975
Member # 6244

I found these pics of someone's honeymoon in Cairo and Luxor. Thought you might like them, some of Old Cairo too.

http://www.sambabike.org/ftp/PROFILE/Egypt/source/img_0831_1.htm

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:
I found these pics of someone's honeymoon in Cairo and Luxor. Thought you might like them, some of Old Cairo too.

i was sitting here eating my breakfast and that was lovely pics oyu put here TREAM LEFTY ,, i loved it all ,i was meant to be bck in egypt this year but undu circumstances could not go exams and health etc etc ,but next year after april im hopeing to go bck for 4 weeks with the children and visit family ,but first me have to germany for a course ,inshallah i will be bck in egypt i MISS ..

lovely pictures again ..that couple look lovely together ..mashalah ..w/s chimps

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shihsa pipe and tobacco, belly dancing outfit!!
t shirts, perfume, perfume bottles. as Tream said go to khan and have a look, you'll get lots of ideas for different people.

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:

Thank you soooo much for that link!!! I thouroughly enjoyed all of those pictures and can't wait!!!!! 4 more days insha Allah!!
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Pics Tream Lefty!!!
Thanks...

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Papyrus! its cheap, its light to carry and it looks great framed [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

i'm gonna sound like an idiot but what's the big deal with papyrus? Isn't that just like, paper? I can get that at Staples across the street.
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd bring home sweets and pitachios.

Then there's the AUC book shops in a few neighborhoods of Cairo, I think Dokki and Zamalek.

I've bought linen tunics which are great and most you can launder as normal.

Cosmetics, there is a few beauty treatments that I can only find in Egypt and for a fraction of the equivilant in the US.

I bring home Arabic software for my ex.

Panties! nothing better than pure Egyptian cotton panties. Egyptian cotton sheets are a good thing to bring home as well. But they aren't sewn to fit western beds, so I picked up bedsheet suspenders and use the Egyptian sheets anyways.

Don't bother bringing back any type of seed or meat product. The coffee you must bring back in bulk, we are paying "Holy Land Grocery" an arm and a leg for the coffee King Kong prefers.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have room in your luggage and space for extra weight try this:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/061221/ids_photos_wl/r3619416584.jpg

I was really thinking hard about whether to bring in pots for plants, in my relocation plans.

But now I have a descent chance of finding pots for plants that accord to my tastes.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
quote:

i'm gonna sound like an idiot but what's the big deal with papyrus? Isn't that just like, paper? I can get that at Staples across the street.
cant get it at staples with all the lovley prints on it from various tombs can you!! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just walk in a supermarket and buy ordinary grocery`s that look nice because they have Arabic design.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
quote:
quote:

cant get it at staples with all the lovley prints on it from various tombs can you!! [Roll Eyes]
Oh I didn't realize they had designs. I genuinely thought it was just the arabic word for paper. [Big Grin]
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh youll be spoit for choice doodle, youll love it to much
I went mad with shopping
Love it to much

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh I didn't realize they had designs. I genuinely thought it was just the arabic word for paper. [Big Grin]
[Eek!] doodle, search papyrus.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com