EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Bad weather hits Egyptian ports, Suez Canal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad weather hits Egyptian ports, Suez Canal
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad weather hits Egyptian ports, Suez Canal

By Reuters

First Published: December 27, 2006

CAIRO: Authorities closed five ports on Wednesday and prevented some oil tankers and ships from passing through the Suez Canal because of bad weather, officials said.

The Suez Canal Authority stopped at least three ships from entering the canal from the north, including a Liberian oil tanker carrying 170,000 tons, said an authority official who asked not to be named.

"We applied the rules relating to bad weather on ships going through the canal," said the official.

Alexandria, Egypt's largest port, and the port of Dekheila prevented ships from coming in because of the weather.

An official from the Red Sea Port Authority said three ports there were closed due to poor conditions.

"At 9 am local time (0700 GMT) today, the Adabiya, Port Taufiq and Petroleum ports were closed due to wind speed exceeding 30 knots and waves rising over 3.5 m (11 feet)," said the official, who asked not to be named.

The official said the ports, which handle cargo, passengers and oil, should reopen as soon as conditions improve.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=4674

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily
The weather her in Alex has been sooo bad the past 2 days. Winds howling like crazy, cold rain, flooded streets, the whole works.

Was joking with the hubby that after Eid in Cairo we were going someplace warm, like Luxor or Sharm, but when I checked the weather there, it seems they are experiencing the same temperatures as here in Alex!

BRR!!

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes it was bad cold weather spcail eraly in the morning even cairo also was effected and rain also, it turn to be german weather [Smile]
Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In cairo, it is horrible...... too cold, too cloudy, rainy

i like the rain but i hate the cold

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

The Suez Canal Authority stopped at least three ships from entering the canal from the north, including a Liberian oil tanker carrying 170,000 tons, said an authority official who asked not to be named.

"We applied the rules relating to bad weather on ships going through the canal," said the official.

Wasn't there a oil tanker from Liberia last year that spilled oil in the red sea after it got past the Suez Canal?

I swear, this must the reason why the "authority official" mentioned this.

I wonder if the oil slick was every fully cleaned up?

Now I just worry about that particular Liberian Oil tanker spilling oil in the Med, there are a number of new resorts being built on the Med coast. I'd hate to see a spill put back the Grand opening of those new resorts.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahly:
yes it was bad cold weather spcail eraly in the morning even cairo also was effected and rain also, it turn to be german weather [Smile]

How people deal with the cold they are not used to? Not everyone has a heater or heating A/C available in the home.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Was joking with the hubby that after Eid in Cairo we were going someplace warm, like Luxor or Sharm, but when I checked the weather there, it seems they are experiencing the same temperatures as here in Alex!

Thanks for the information, think I had better take my bikini out of my suitcase and pack a few warm jumpers instead, leaving the UK on Friday to spend a week in Hurghada.
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Sharm:
quote:

Thanks for the information, think I had better take my bikini out of my suitcase and pack a few warm jumpers instead, leaving the UK on Friday to spend a week in Hurghada.
Well a bikini doesn't take up much space..lol
Pack it just in case, but if you go to Yahoo weather and look at the forecast, you will see it really is cold there now. Pack some warm things for sure, but above all, enjoy your vacation and have fun [Smile]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will still pack the bikini just in case! I will pack some warmer clothes though but surely the weather has to warmer than it is here in the UK. No matter what the weather is like I will make sure that it doesn't ruin my holiday, I can't wait, especially to be welcoming in the New Year in Egypt with someone very special to me [Smile]
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take your warmest coat for the evening, there are so few places to go inside and it will make staying out late much more enjoyable. Have a good one!
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amanda, its currently 19 degrees in Hurghada during the day and 4 degrees at night.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by ahly:

How people deal with the cold they are not used to? Not everyone has a heater or heating A/C available in the home.
If you have AC at home or electric heater so that one way to get worm
If you do not special in area such as villages they burn woods so the fire makes the house worm even that is dangerous but usually they use it in open area.
And if you are not able to get any of that, wear all the cloth you have. And drink a lot of very hot tea…

But watching people, I can say some of those poor people their kids run without any cloth on and eat any thing and they do not get ill, while my kid if they does 2% of that I will be rushing to hospital , so I believe god give them more buddy immunity more than us, and because we lost our buddy immunity with lots of chemicals and also always in AC so our buddy can not handle the normal weather without assistance "may be I am right may b I am wrong" just observation

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Sharm:
quote:

you have to understand what we consider very cold weather for us and we are freezing, it can be your worm summer in UK [Smile] so just enjoy your time and tray the sea may be it is just fine for you but for sure never for me [Smile]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night was a cold and wet one, 9 degrees above freezing, burrrrrrrr !
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com