EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving from Los Angeles to Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving from Los Angeles to Cairo
jojo
Member # 3263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while, but have not posted until now. I enjoy reading peoples posts on here and I find the people to be kind and helpful. Let me explain my situation briefly. I am an American living in Los Angeles. My father now lives in Cairo and this summer I went to visit him for about 5 weeks. He would like for me to live there with him. I enjoyed the city and its people, but I am not sure how it would be to live there longterm. I just recently graduated from a University in Los Angeles. I am 21 years old (almost 22) , so I would enjoy perspectives of how it is living in Egypt for a younger person , particularily one that is from a big American city such as Los Angeles. Also I do not know Arabic, because I did not grow up speaking it. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone regardless of age. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you very much

-Joseph

Posts: 1 | From: Los Angeles,CA,USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really give you any testimonials about what it is like to live in Cairo as a 21 yr old, but might suggest you come over to Egypttalk.net and ask Jakobsen23 how he likes it. He's a Danish guy that is now 24 and moved here about 6-9 months ago. I think he loves it and finds plenty to do to keep him happy. He doesn't work. If you don't have to work and dad will pay for everything, then it's got to be great, doesn't it? I mean if you and your dad get along okay and you can have the freedom you want with him, then what's not to like about the situation? You'll have the Red Sea at your backdoor for swimming, diving, whatever you like, whenever you like. You can see some of the wonders of the ancient world in your free time, and if your dad is like a COP of some project you probably will have a nice job waiting for you when you want to work too. I think it's got to be the most perfect opportunity you could ask for. I mean, even if after 6 months you hate it or are bored, Dad can send you home, so it's a win-win situation, right?
What are your hobbies and interests in the states? Do you jog? Drink? if one or both of those are fun for you, you'd probably be interested to check out the www.cairohash.com site. Lots of expats running around the desert every weekend and then drinking beer. While most of them are not as young as you are, we do get a group of military types about your age coming, so the possibilities of meeting expat men that are in their 20's is definately very possible.

Good luck and come on over. Why not? You may only get this easy of an opportunity to live in Egypt once.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comte de Monte-Cristo
Member # 1331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comte de Monte-Cristo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Debbie, you have a win win situation, enjoy...
Posts: 87 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treston
Member # 1821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for treston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi jojo
as a person who had spent some time in both city i mean L.A and Cairo , i much prefer to live in Cairo than L.A , the nights finish at 02:30 am in L.A , actually all the cities in California, thats why all the people from Southern California especially from San Diego go to shi.y TJ to have some fun ....but u dont have to do this in Cairo ...cause the nights just starts at midnight there...only problem in cairo , in the begining girls dont feel comfortable , but i must assure you they r very flirty....try it ...u ll like take care

Posts: 26 | From: İstanbul,Turkey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsander
Member # 916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I live in LA and have been meaning to make the move to Cairo for years but keep putting it off. I can't put it off anymore and will be moving there in Jan 2005. But if you ever have an opportunity to travel somewhere where you know someone, take advantage of it. I would have never been able to explore Iceland the way I did if I hadn't known someone there and I'm spending a month in Ecuador next summer because a friend who lives there has invited me. Always listen to Debbie. She's the expat mother hen.

Posts: 20 | From: Beverly Hills, California USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bsander:
Always listen to Debbie. She's the expat mother hen.

Who? Me?

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maadi_guy
Member # 3075

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maadi_guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jojo:
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while, but have not posted until now. I enjoy reading peoples posts on here and I find the people to be kind and helpful. Let me explain my situation briefly. I am an American living in Los Angeles. My father now lives in Cairo and this summer I went to visit him for about 5 weeks. He would like for me to live there with him. I enjoyed the city and its people, but I am not sure how it would be to live there longterm. I just recently graduated from a University in Los Angeles. I am 21 years old (almost 22) , so I would enjoy perspectives of how it is living in Egypt for a younger person , particularily one that is from a big American city such as Los Angeles. Also I do not know Arabic, because I did not grow up speaking it. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone regardless of age. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you very much

-Joseph

hi ok what do u exactly wish to know about Egypt??
I don't know if you've arrived to Cairo or not, if you did just tell me your opinion and
if you didn't yet let me what do u exactly wish to know about Egypt..
Ihopeyou'll like your staying here.

Posts: 87 | From: Maadi, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com