EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Muslims and virginity?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muslims and virginity?
aidia
Member # 3198

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for aidia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi guys i'm wondering if anyone can help me with this query.
I would like to know about Muslims and virginity. Is this a cultural thing or does it state in the kuran that girls have to be virgins?
I have asked a few of my muslim friends and most being men have given their view why their wives should be virgins and most of the girls have just said thats the way it has always been. So I've come to the conclusion that either my friends aren't really practising muslims or they dont have great knowlage of the religon. I would love to understand more about this subject and apreciate all your comments.
thanks in advance to all who reply!!
AIDIA

Posts: 26 | From: london, england | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not Egyptian, and I'm no authority on the subject, but I'll be curious to see how people answer your post as well.
I wanted to add though that Coptic girls seem to feel the same way about being a virgin, so it would seem to be more of a cultural thing than an Islamic thing.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply in Islam, making sex must be part of marriage affair and making a family. Therefore it must be logic not to have sex except with ur husband and husband becomes husband when u marry him, so u will be virgin till u marry.
Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR the great
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMR the great   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes , i agree with egy_prince too.

quote:
Originally posted by aidia:
I would like to know about Muslims and virginity. Is this a cultural thing or does it state in the kuran that girls have to be virgins?
I have asked a few of my muslim friends and most being men have given their view why their wives should be virgins and most of the girls have just said thats the way it has always been. So I've come to the conclusion that either my friends aren't really practising muslims or they dont have great knowlage of the religon. I would love to understand more about this subject and apreciate all your comments.
AIDIA

Posts: 97 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawsar
Member # 3177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawsar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and- as far as i know- its the same "law" for christians ,too.
even in europe- but who cares?...

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camello
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for camello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey everybody.. well this is so simple .. in all religions sex outside marriage is called "committing adultry"..which is a sin.. whether u r muslim or christian or jew.. u may now call it "making love"..or any sweeter expression.. but when it comes to religion u would say " adultry".. u don't go to a priest and say " forigive me for i have made love" ... anyways... it's about how the person is devoted to his/her religion .. and islam is more than a religion ..it's a lifestyle if i could say so.. and i don't know much about christianity and the difference between coptic and orthodox and catholic..etc in that issue... but i guess it's same in all religions... the opposite is right ... being "not-virgin" is the cultural issue..u may say..in a "non-religeous" societies...
Posts: 1 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aidia
Member # 3198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aidia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egy_prince:
Simply in Islam, making sex must be part of marriage affair and making a family. Therefore it must be logic not to have sex except with ur husband and husband becomes husband when u marry him, so u will be virgin till u marry.

thats very interesting egy i didnt look at the sitiution from that angle i didn't know that sex was just believed to be just a way of making babys, but again i came to the conslusion that the virgin thing is more a cultural then a religous thing.
come on you muslim guys tell me why you believe that your wife should be virgins and i dont want to hear the same old exuses about you should be the only men to have been with your wive. Imagen a situation that you have fallen head over heels in love with a girl who you believe to be virgin and the only time you find out is when you've got married and getting down to buisness and she tells you at that momment. what do you do, do you drag her by her hair back to her parents house without listening to her explanation or do you listen to her and then decide whats more important, your love for her the meer fact that she isn't a virgin?
look forward to hearing your comments.

Posts: 26 | From: london, england | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
thats very interesting egy i didnt look at the sitiution from that angle i didn't know that sex was just believed to be just a way of making babys, but again i came to the conslusion that the virgin thing is more a cultural then a religous thing.
come on you muslim guys tell me why you believe that your wife should be virgins and i dont want to hear the same old exuses about you should be the only men to have been with your wive. Imagen a situation that you have fallen head over heels in love with a girl who you believe to be virgin and the only time you find out is when you've got married and getting down to buisness and she tells you at that momment. what do you do, do you drag her by her hair back to her parents house without listening to her explanation or do you listen to her and then decide whats more important, your love for her the meer fact that she isn't a virgin?
look forward to hearing your comments.

May be can forgive her if she lost her virginity by force but never forgive her that she didn't tell me this before marriage (this is a personal opinion differes from one to one).

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egy_prince:
May be can forgive her if she lost her virginity by force but never forgive her that she didn't tell me this before marriage (this is a personal opinion differes from one to one).

You would forgive HER? If she lost her virginity by force she would need your forgiveness? Surely if it was by force, she would need your support and understanding, not your forgiveness. Egy Prince, you just gave an extremely disappointing answer.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryph
Member # 2005

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the bridegroom was a dismal failure should the virgin forgive him??????????????
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
You would forgive HER? If she lost her virginity by force she would need your forgiveness? Surely if it was by force, she would need your support and understanding, not your forgiveness. Egy Prince, you just gave an extremely disappointing answer.

Sorry Shareen, I said forgive but I meant support and If u read my comment again, u would conclude this.

kawsar
Member # 3177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawsar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm, normally males and females should be "virgins" until they get married, but unfortunately u never get any proofs from the male side as from the female side...
its a curious thing, that men believe, that expirience is needed to make their future wives happy...

to ur question, aidia: in the case a man wants to make love with his love or even his fiancee, and she agrees, he will kick her away after he´s done. thats for sure.
women have to be stronger than men- at least but not only in this matter.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo72
Member # 2218

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i am not sure if everybody will understand what i am pitching at or not.
In general it is normal that God will always forgive while us humans we can't!!!
By that i mean a man or a woman could loose their virginity and ask God for forgiveness and most probably they will get it but us humans we may never forgive this person!!!
If some woman/man lost her/his physical virginity does this mean she/he also lost her/his moral virginity or mental virginity?
I know women in Europe more sexually moral than many women that i have known in the middle east, and they are not necessarily virgins.
The problem lies mainly in the male dominant culture in the countries of old civilisations. That includes also Spain, Italy and Egypt , Turkey.
Try to watch the movie of Love Actually one of the last scenes when the writer went to Portugal to ask for the hand of the Portuguese girl. While the mob was going behind the father of the girl to the other side of the city the people started talking about rumours one of them if you concentrate well, "he will kill her" that is a male dominant culture
Cheers

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queen
Member # 3327

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for queen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
peace.

speaking from experience, virgins should marry virgins, it is a learning process learning each other and to be on the same level in bed and not feel intimidated to try smomething new and not be asked who you did you do that with, my husband was a virgin and i was not, so it has been very hard work because he doesn't know how to be flexible and romantic it takes time and it has caused some rips between us where we have separated got back together due to immaturity about a women needs notice i didn't say girl, so if you are not one do not marry one because somewhere down the line it will be mentioned to you by the love of your life.

peace,
queen

quote:
AIDIA

Posts: 7 | From: conway,sc usa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try those for information:
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&dgn=4
http://www.mycopticchurch.com/ask/view.cfm?CatID=15

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 01 January 2004).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a Muslim I do understand:
1) that Sex outside marriage is considered adultery, one of the biggest sins
2) Sex was not created to 'have children' only, but also to enjoy those special feelings with your spouse,and contrary to widespread believe it is the husband who is responsible to let his wife have her share of fun with him, or before him
3) both, men and women are ordered to not have sex before/outside marriage
4) a man falling in love with a non-muslim has to know that those girls/women may have had a number of sexuel experiences before and learn to live with it or stop right there

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treston
Member # 1821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for treston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U think that muslim girls dont have those kinds of experiences?...dont u think that this idea is too naive to be true And dont u think that altough they r virgin, they may know very well to get pleasure more than non-muslim girls.I noticed that especially egyptian girls lie so much about this issue...they say that its the closest look into a man's eyes ever happened in their life...ofcourse its a huge lie ...but please dont misunderstand me, i m just telling u my personnel observations.

4) a man falling in love with a non-muslim has to know that those girls/women may have had a number of sexuel experiences before and learn to live with it or stop right there[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 26 | From: Ưstanbul,Turkey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Dear Aidia,

There is nothing in the Quran that says girls have to be virgins. But in a standard marriage contract, a bride who was never married is described as an adult virgin. So technically, one can argue that such a contract could be considered null and void if the bride turns out to be a non-virgin. A bride who was never married is expected to be virgin and if not, it is considered valid grounds for divorce. However, if the husband is ok with all that, the marriage is valid both from a religious perspective as well from a legal one.

So if the girl gets away with it from a religious and religious perspective, thee remains the cultural perspective as well which is even less forgiving.

In practice, it all comes down to how the husband would feel about it. Most of us, Egyptian males, expect their wives to be virgin because this is the norm. I guess that if it were normal to have sexual relations before marriage as in western societies, then we would not expect that, would we.

This will continue until it becomes socially ok to have pre-marital sexual relationships.

Physically though, being a virgin is not that big of a deal. In fact, it could even be a problem

Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thegorilla
Member # 3350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thegorilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saying this in a typical ordinary American way, "EVOLVE"

Lou

Posts: 7 | From: NC,USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aidia
Member # 3198

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for aidia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandal:
[B] Dear Aidia,

There is nothing in the Quran that says girls have to be virgins.

thank you Sandal for answering you actually answered my question.
just in case anybobys wondering why i'm so intrested, i'll explain I'm turkish and as some people may already know that turkish girls are supposed to be virgins aswell so i always knew the cultural reasons but not being very religous I never found out if it said anything in the quran about this matter.
thank you to everyone else who has answered.

aidia
Member # 3198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aidia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thegorilla:
Saying this in a typical ordinary American way, "EVOLVE"

Lou

dear lou
I dont think that you have the right to tell anybody to evolve as you so put it. This is the belief of some cultures, we may not agree with it but we can RESPECT it.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandal:

There is nothing in the Quran that says girls have to be virgins. But in a standard marriage contract, a bride who was never married is described as an adult virgin.

So what about the following sura?

"Successful indeed are the believers, who are reverent during their Contact prayers (Salat). And they avoid vain talk. And they give their obligatory charity (Zakat). And THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CHASTITY. Only with their spouses, or those who are rightfully theirs do they have sexual relations; they are not to be blamed. Those who transgress these limits are the transgressors." (Quran, 23:1-7 )

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 06 January 2004).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia,

The Sura instructs the believers not to have pre-marital or extra-marital sex. That part is very clear. It doesn’t say anything about forbidding someone from marrying a non-virgin. A girl may have pre-marital sex for whatever reason. Yes it is considered a sin. But who are you to judge her. It is Allah who will do that not us. He has the power to punish and has the power to forgive. Nothing forbids a Moslem male from marrying such a girl. So don’t mix things up please.

Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on a second ... the original question in this thread was this:
So the discussion was about whether it's stated in the Qur'an if premarital sex is allowed or not, and apparently it's not and you seem to agree with me on that one. It was NOT about if a man is allowed to marry a non-virgin, which, in my opinion would be pure hypocrisy if the man himself was not.

Anyway - just to prevent any misunderstandings - I am not a muslim and I am not judging anyone either. I completely agree with you that it's up to god to do that.
I personally don't believe in the concept of virginity at all. I was just irritated when you wrote "There is nothing in the Quran that says girls have to be virgins. " because whichever Islamic source I read this seems to be one of the things all of the scholars agree upon.

sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to locate the informative link to your query; it's the ElAzhar. I have never entered its website but using any of the available Net searching engines should do the job for you. As an Egyptian with previous living-in a western society (USA)experiences (during graduate studies/training) I tell my Egyptian fellows that a girl with previous sexual experiences (lost virginity) most probably compare her groom's sexual capabablity/skills (when time comes to marry) with those of her former "lovers". As she becomes older and as she faces troubles in her marital relationships; she "might" tend to get back to one of her former lovers with him she had nice time + more sexual enjoyment than she had ever had with her husband. I think losing virginity is a major source for the weaknesses of the social integrity in the western countries and a source of suffering to the girls themselves. The guy pleases himself with free + no strings attached responsibilities and as he feels bored and anxious to taste a new flesh; he "drops" the independent/sexually-liberated woman. I have seen the most highly educated academic researchers (men + women) in USA who live as singles play the same silly games the younger highschool-educated guys/girls do to hunt a "one-night stand bedmate" after their social gatherings. I have seen girls say "why?" in pain and anguish when the moment comes to hear his majesty "the guy" saying " I am leaving, no reasons". I have seen a woman with three kids trying to keep walking close to her attends college classes and the three kids are not legitimate (she never married)! She was pretty/attractive determined to go through a career but who can tell upto when she could bear the burden of her life-style as she gets older in age? I am not saying we in the East have no sufferings or we live in a pardise because our girls abide sexual activities (losing virginity) until they get married but I "think" it's a source of having a strong society and lets the girls to have sex through marriage with all the respnsibilities/consequences of marriage (legal babies to tell one). I know that a girl or a guy will go through physical/psychic suffering from not enjoying sex as years pass without marriage but I "think" of this as "taxes" that individuals pay to keep the integrity of the society/avoid the sufferings of unresponsible sexual activities. Concluding; East and West, they might come to a close distance but never touch.
Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sciencesailor:
I tell my Egyptian fellows that a girl with previous sexual experiences (lost virginity) most probably compare her groom's sexual capabablity/skills (when time comes to marry) with those of her former "lovers". As she becomes older and as she faces troubles in her marital relationships; she "might" tend to get back to one of her former lovers with him she had nice time + more sexual enjoyment than she had ever had with her husband.

Dear sciencesailor,

For your information, for many women sex is not the most important part of a relationship, especially of a marriage. It is entirely possbile for a woman to choose to remain with a husband who offers a loving family and a true mutually spiritual relationship and to forget a sexy hunk who had little else to offer.

Perhaps you have socialized with the wrong type of woman wherever you were.

Besides there is no guarantee that in a failing marriage a man will remain with his wife ONLY because she was a virgin at marriage.

------------------
In Love With Egypt

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nadia1
Member # 3355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nadia1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young lady, whether you're christian,jewish or muslim, in all three religions sex outide marriage is called "ADULTRY". Unfortunately nowadays you come across jewish people, muslims, and christians who might not know the first thing about their religion which is really a shame. To my mind your question is to be answered from a purely religious perspective which will bring you back to the above mentioned answer, that sex outside marriage is a sin.As for religious queries I would kindly suggest you look for these in the right places, not online and definitely not this freind of yours. If however you want to tackle the problem from a social perspective, good luck then, there is nothing more perplexing than social codes even within the same country, i suggest you read "the scarlet letter", better still, watch the movie, see beautiful Demi Moore humiliated (not unjustly) , have a good cry and forget about the whole thing
Posts: 18 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nadia1:
Young lady, whether you're christian,jewish or muslim, in all three religions sex outide marriage is called "ADULTRY". Unfortunately nowadays you come across jewish people, muslims, and christians who might not know the first thing about their religion which is really a shame. To my mind your question is to be answered from a purely religious perspective which will bring you back to the above mentioned answer, that sex outside marriage is a sin.As for religious queries I would kindly suggest you look for these in the right places, not online and definitely not this freind of yours. If however you want to tackle the problem from a social perspective, good luck then, there is nothing more perplexing than social codes even within the same country, i suggest you read "the scarlet letter", better still, watch the movie, see beautiful Demi Moore humiliated (not unjustly) , have a good cry and forget about the whole thing

From reading the first post I understood the question was about non married people considering marriage and evaluating their past intimate lives. A single person could have been married before, or widowed, in which case you can't expect virginity. I did not understand the question meant cheating on existing partners. This, of course, is adultery and grounds for divorce even without religious considerations, however I don't think that's what she asked.

------------------
In Love With Egypt

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nadia1
Member # 3355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nadia1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori I don't think she asked whether a muslim can only marry a virgin, i mean she did ask that but what she was really talking about was sex outside marriage and most of the replies came along these lines. Of course for a muslim it is perfectly OK to marry a widow or a divorcee' and you don't expect either to be a vigin ha? But again if all she meant was whether a muslim can only marry someone who is a virgin, that would be rather naive, i would give her more credit than that. Anyway, it's up to her to clarify this whole thing.
And by the way, when i chose the movie "scarlet letter", ok I admit it was not a very smart choice coz someone might think i was reffering to a married person committing adultry like you just did. Well, the scarlet letter was the closest i got as an example for adultry in general, I mean, if someone is not married and is having sex it is still called Adultry , is it not? After all why was there all the fuss about Virgin Mary when she had baby Jesus if it was ok to have babies out of wedlock? if that was the case Mary would no longer be famous for being "A Virgin" coz then no one would have minded and Mary would have only been another " Single Parent"

Posts: 18 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be a bit of confusion over the use of the term 'adultery' here, as it is ofen used as the translation of the word 'zina' in Arabic, which is what is forbidden. However, zina actually translates as fornication, meaning sexual intercourse outside marriage, which can either include premarital sex or adultery. Hope this helps.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nadia1
Member # 3355

Rate Member
Lori I checked the copy of the bible i have, it's rather confusing. I'm a Muslim, in Islam sex outside marriage is a sin, it is not a cultural thing, it's a religious issue.

I checked Adultry in the bible. Honestly Lori i was stumped, i checked the ten commandments, they said "Adultry" i checked all three dictionaries I have at home they defined adultry as "when a married person has sex with someone who is not a spouse". Something is definitly wrong, is not sex outside marriage a sin in the Christian religion?
i'm not well versed in the bible so naturally i won't be able to quote as I would in Quoran, I'll have to check with the church nearby.

Nadia1
Member # 3355

Rate Member
Thanks a million newcomer you just spared me a trot to the church,now be an angel and point out a couple of verses in the bible that say fornication is a sin (there are some aren't there?)

[This message has been edited by Nadia1 (edited 08 January 2004).]

Marching
Member # 2802

At the of making this matter more complex that it already is, I would like to point out that the punishment for pre-marital sex is less severe than the punishment for extra-marital sex.
egypt_cairo1
Member # 3362

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egypt_cairo1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Original[QUOTE]Originally posted by aidia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandal:
[B] Dear Aidia,

There is nothing in the Quran that says girls have to be virgins.

thank you Sandal for answering you actually answered my question.
just in case anybobys wondering why i'm so intrested, i'll explain I'm turkish and as some people may already know that turkish girls are supposed to be virgins aswell so i always knew the cultural reasons but not being very religous I never found out if it said anything in the quran about this matter.
thank you to everyone else who has answered.

Dear aidia
how r u first?
iam soory but thats not true a friend her said its not in quran says that, but that not true , it said in quran its{ and the women whos is protecet there selves from any realtion, only with their husbend}
woemen have to do that also men
and thats for alot of reasons
in fact why we have sex? u have to ur self that first when you know why? then every thing is easy... we live on earht we have to make it better and better as we could, we here for work and to make good things and also to have good times, and name is make love not sex, its big difrrent bettwen them, sex for animals but make love for human been who knows what is really love, not for fun only and thats for men and woemn ,,,, men also not make love with any 1 only with wifes,when u find the real love u will only be with him till end of ur life,but animal can do sex any time with out any felling just sex , some times u fell that u need sex with some one u though u really loved him but not true if it was true why he did not want to marry and be with u all life and take good care of u, he just want u to fell good after that he will forget you,in islam sex why its bad? cuz look now in most of europe and usa and most places that sex is so easy , u will find alot of divorces alot of disesses alot of proplems bettwen men and wife , cuz he or she had sex before so he or she cant fell good with her wife so he will go out side to have that. so what is better 1 person for love and long realtion or alot and maybe no coplete relation, thats and alot of thats why sex with alot of pepole is not good, and in the end in quran women must be virgin,,,, iam soory that i talk to much
take good care to your self ,,,,,

ly posted by aidia:

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Om Aly
Member # 2999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Om Aly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egypt_cairo1:

in islam sex why its bad? cuz look now in most of europe and usa and most places that sex is so easy , u will find alot of divorces alot of disesses alot of proplems bettwen men and wife , cuz he or she had sex before so he or she cant fell good with her wife so he will go out side to have that. so what is better 1 person for love and long realtion or alot and maybe no coplete relation, thats and alot of thats why sex with alot of pepole is not good, and in the end in quran women must be virgin,,,, iam soory that i talk to much
take good care to your self ,,,,,

i would agree with u in evry piont. sex has to be something very special between two ppl whpo trust each other completly , but i dont agree in this one: having sex with many partners before marriage is propably not a reason for divorce in any case.
i just think, having sex with "anyone" is not good for the social health. the best solution for civilisation is the family. at least knowing who the father of the child is.
of course, today we can have sex without getting pregnent, but still it happens so often! so many western kids raise up not knowing who their dad is, or not allowed to see him.

Posts: 25 | From: hurghada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aidia
Member # 3198

Rate Member
hi everyone
and can i thank everyone for their input although i think that some people have misunderstood my question.
I want to clear up a few things now my original question was just curiosity. I have not added my own belief (cultural or reliegous) into this. my own belief is that the body that Allah has given me is precious and giving this precious gift to just someone i met the other night at a party or to a male companion that i have been on a few dates with is wrong but if someone else wants to do this then it is entirely up to them.
coming back to my original question i wasn't asking about Zina(adultry) or if a muslim can or cannot marry a person that is not a virgin. I was just curious if the Quran stated any verses on the matter of a young unmarried person having to be a virgin untill the day they marry.
I still apreciate all your remarks and please do keep them coming.

aidia
Member # 3198

Rate Member
Dear aidia
how r u first?
iam soory but thats not true a friend her said its not in quran says that, but that not true , it said in quran its{ and the women whos is protecet there selves from any realtion, only with their husbend}
sex for animals but make love for human been who knows what is really love, not for fun only and thats for men and woemn ,,,, men also not make love with any 1 only with wifes,when u find the real love u will only be with him till end of ur life,but animal can do sex any time with out any felling just sex ,
ly posted by aidia:[/B][/QUOTE]

hi egy-prince
and thank you i'm fine and i hope you are well.
i have decided that i shall learn arabic and read the quran my self and will not have to ask all you wonderfull people the answers to my questions.
I do agree that making love as you put it something that should be shared with the person you love and who loves you but this doesnt mean you have to be married to the person. I know that in your culture and religen it is expected that you get married and it is also the same in my culture but in some cultures as you may well know it is execepted for two people to live a life as though they are married but doesnt neceserialy have to be married. i have a lot of friends who have partners that they have been together for a long time and have children together and most importantly who love each other very much but who just have never got married.
again everything I say is my own belief and has nothing to do with my religous beliefs but more to do with the environment that i grew up in. again everyone is welcome to comment if they dont agree.

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nadia1:
Lori I checked the copy of the bible i have, it's rather confusing. I'm a Muslim, in Islam sex outside marriage is a sin, it is not a cultural thing, it's a religious issue.

I checked Adultry in the bible. Honestly Lori i was stumped, i checked the ten commandments, they said "Adultry" i checked all three dictionaries I have at home they defined adultry as "when a married person has sex with someone who is not a spouse". Something is definitly wrong, is not sex outside marriage a sin in the Christian religion?
i'm not well versed in the bible so naturally i won't be able to quote as I would in Quoran, I'll have to check with the church nearby.

Dear Nadia1,

Thank you for going to such great lengths to look in the Bible. I am a Christian Orthodox (close to Coptic religion) and of course sex outside the marriage is a sin for us too. A girl has to marry a virgin and to remain faithful to her husband. If she is widowed, she can marry again. Divorce is allowed only in very special cases.

Probably there are no rules in the Bible concerning sex BEFORE a girl is married because for hundreds of years women were married early, and their husband took them from their parents' house. In her parents' house, a girl was very protected and sheltered by her family. They simply had no time to be women and feel a need or an opportunity for sex. Many were actually still children when they married. This was valid in Christian religion, because Christian women also had the role to stay at home and take care of the house and children. No woman was leaving the parents house by herself to live on her own. Also, women who were not married at an advanced age were usually ugly, handicapped or God knows what, and were usually virgins because no man had a sexual interest in them.

The situation we have nowadays, at least in Europe and the States, is that arrtactive young and young-ish women leaving home at the age of 18 to go to college and move away from their families. They are not sheltered anymore. They earn their own living, sometimes working very hard and long hours, and have to face all kinds of pressures from society concerning sex. Many women start a sex life not because they want it, but because they are made to feel stupid or inadequate by other women because they have not had sex yet.

Sadly, religion - definitely Christian religion - has not adapted to the times, and even if a young woman would go to a priest asking for guidance on how to keep herself pure under these circumstances, the priest simply has nothing to offer for her spiritual strength and resistance to temptation. The Church has chosen to ignore this fact of life, and the result is that many young people rely on their instincts and go away from the Church because they do not feel that the Church has good answers for them any more - and they are right.

So there you are Nadia - many young foreign women who come to Egypt are not virgins because this is how life is in the West. If a girl is over 20 and still a virgin, she would be regarded as "something wrong with her" in the West.

Many girls when they come to Egypt wish they had turned back time and preserved themselves for their Egyptian love - but it's too late. I know many men judge them harshly. Poor girls, they can't win - damned in the West if they don't have sex, and damned in Egypt if they do

Try not to judge them too harshly. Only God can judge.

Lori

------------------
In Love With Egypt

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com