EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » softball players wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: softball players wanted
tjohnson
Member # 3330

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjohnson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone interested in joining a softball team? Our team is currently looking to add several good players for the upcoming season. Games are a couple nights per week and some fridays, all played down at Victory College Field in Maadi. You don't have to be a star to play, but you do need to be able to catch, throw, and hit the ball reasonably well. Email me if you're interested. We're having some practices soon where you can try out.

Tom

Posts: 6 | From: cairo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gogo
Member # 2987

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gogo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested. But where is your email address? How can I contact you? Please email me mhegab@hotmail.com
Guys, if you know how to contact him, please let me know.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by tjohnson:
Is anyone interested in joining a softball team? Our team is currently looking to add several good players for the upcoming season. Games are a couple nights per week and some fridays, all played down at Victory College Field in Maadi. You don't have to be a star to play, but you do need to be able to catch, throw, and hit the ball reasonably well. Email me if you're interested. We're having some practices soon where you can try out.

Tom

Posts: 23 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenya
Member # 2915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zenya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Tom on the first Softball team in Egypt lol, gives me a feel of back home thanks.
Posts: 49 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zenya:
Congrats Tom on the first Softball team in Egypt lol, gives me a feel of back home thanks.

Not exactly Zenya. Victory College and ballfields have been in Maadi for years and there is softball and baseball played down there every year...at least since I've been here and I think for many years before that.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjohnson
Member # 3330

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjohnson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my email isn't working right now.

Gogo,

Sorry for not putting my email address on the softball post. Let me give you the details:

The softball league website is at www.caslcairo.com. There are two divisions, A and B, with A being the higher level team and B being the lower. Each division has about 6-7 softball teams that each play 2-3 times a week, usually on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in the evenings except for the Friday games, which are usually afternoon. If you peruse the website above you can see last season's schedule. The games are all umpired and the teams have jerseys, coaches, etc. As part of the ASL (Amateur Softball League), all games conform to ASL rules. The games are played at the softball fields in Maadi at Victory College, which is near CAC (Cairo American College). Ask any Maadi taxi driver to take you to "Midan Victoria" and you should see the ballpark.

Last season our team placed 3rd of 6th in the A division, but this last week our team underwent a reorganization. We decided to combine with another team, the Nomads, and take the best players from each team to form an A team, and the lower-level players of each team to form a B team (it's more complicated than that, but that's the rough idea). So now we are one organization, the "Nomads," but with a Nomad A and a Nomad B team. Depending upon your level, you would be placed in either the A or B league. There's a $15 fee for playing this year with an additional $75 fundraising fee that will most likely be refunded during the season when our sponsorships kick in. If you're a student or a worker on a local salary and find the fees difficult, you don't have to pay them. Or, if you're not really sure you want to play, if you just want to test out the team for a while, you can always pay later.

If you're interesting in playing, the important thing is that you come out to one of the practices right now. There are a bunch of them, and you need to get in visual contact with one of the coaches. I'm actually out of town right now and will be traveling for most of January, but that's fine b/c you don't know me anyway. Just go to the Victory College field during one of the times the Nomads (either A or B) are practicing (which I've also pasted below), and ask whether the team practicing is the Nomads. Then ask to talk to the coach. This person will either be Rob Matthews, Greg, or Roger (sorry, don't know their last names). Greg is almost always smoking a cigar. Actually since we combined, a lot of guys won't know each other and so you can practically just jump in and start playing.

I'm in Taba right now and only check my email once a day. Email Rob Matthews, the coach, for more info if you need it. Here is Rob's contact info:
work email: robert.mathews@dfait-maeci.gc.ca
mobile: 012-213-4140

Good luck and I hope to see you on one of the teams when I get back. If you're wondering whether you'd be in the A or B division, don't worry--the coaches will sort you during the practices. See you,

Tom Johnson

NOMADS PRACTICE SCHEDULE

DATE
TIME
FIELD
TEAM
REMARKS

11 Jan 04, Sun
9:00 p.m.
A and B
HR/N
All Players

14 Jan 04, Wed
B Field
HR
All Players

16 Jan 04, Fri
9:00 a.m.
A Field
N
All Players

16 Jan 04, Fri
6:00 p.m.
B Field
HR
All Players

16 Jan 04, Fri
7:30 p.m.
A Field
N
All Players ***

18 Jan 04, Sun
A Field
HR
A Team

18 Jan 04, Sun
A Field
N
B Team

21 Jan 04, Wed
B Field
HR
A Team

21 Jan 04, Wed
B Field
N
B Team

23 Jan 04, Fri
3:00 p.m.
B Field
HR
A Team

23 Jan 04, Fri
4:30 p.m.
B Field
N
B Team

26 Jan 04, Mon
A Field
HR
A Team

27 Jan 04, Tue
B Field
N
B Team

30 Jan 04, Fri
10:30 a.m.
B Field
HR
A Team

30 Jan 04, Fri
1:30 p.m.
B Field
N
B Team

30 Jan 04, Fri
B Field
HR
Scrimmage

31 Jan 04, Sat
3:00 p.m.
B Field
N
Scrimmage

Posts: 6 | From: cairo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you go Gogo....get joined up and we'll come down as an ES group and watch a game someday.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gogo
Member # 2987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gogo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much, man. I contacted Mat.

How sweet, Debbie. Just wait till I see if I'll success.

Posts: 23 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com