EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Considering a move to Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Considering a move to Cairo
pris
Member # 3338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm considering a move to Cairo to marry a man I love very much. He is already in Cairo and is Egyptian. I'm American and speak no Arabic. He suggests that we live in one of the American suburbs outside of Cairo so that the adjustment would be easier for me and has done research on such things as purchasing private health insurance, which is affordable, and other things. I would be interested in hearing answers to these questions from any Americans living in the Cairo area:
-Is English common enough in such a suburb that I could get by as I learned some basic Arabic?
-Is any of the tv in English?
-can you rent videos or dvd's of current english language movies there?
-is there a problem or prejudice against women who are American and therefore don't wear head coverings but do dress in a way unoffensive to the culture?
-what is the standard of medical care there?
-what are the general costs for groceries, phone, electirc montly, compared to the U.S?
-how hard is the cultural adjustment? I do hear it's a male dominated culture compared to the U.S.

ok..lots of questions, I realize. Just anybody who can answer any--

pris

Posts: 5 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy Star
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Stacy Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer your question. Almost everyone speaks English or French. Anyone educated. Most are Educated. It would help to learn Arabic words for Where is the Bus (Fin autobeast) Learn the names of fruits, vegtables and meats. (lebon means milk) Also learn how to count in Arabic and ask "Becam?" (means how much?) Yes there are English TV programs. Zena was on the last time I was in Cairo. German shows and French too.
Be polite to everyone, they will respect you. Be interested in culture and religion they will love you for it. Oh and don't try to change them, they are just fine the way they are.

Posts: 2 | From: SALT LAKE CITY, UT | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy Star
Member # 3339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacy Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is any of the tv in English?
-can you rent videos or dvd's of current english language movies there?
-is there a problem or prejudice against women who are American and therefore don't wear head coverings but do dress in a way unoffensive to the culture?
-what is the standard of medical care there?
-what are the general costs for groceries, phone, electirc montly, compared to the U.S?
-how hard is the cultural adjustment? I do hear it's a male dominated culture compared to the U.S.

More answers. There is no predjudices in Egypt. Woman should cover their arms at least to the elbows, do not wear shorts, or tight pants. Do wear your skirts below the knee. No head coverings necessary, this is a very Westernized country. Very Modern country in many respects What the American media portrays and the reality are two different things. Do not get involved with Egyptian men. They seem sincere, but the economy is so bad there they will do anything to have you fall in love with them and take them back to USA. I am very serious about this. Please be very careful. If you have sex with them they will no view you with respect at all. Please be careful. Yes you can rent current DVD's and Video's in English almost everywhere.
Medical care is excellent if you go to dr. in Mohandeseen. As far as male dominence. Men are men no matter where they are. Do not hang up the phone on anyone, raise your voice in public places against anyone, or slam the door in anyone's face. No name calling either. You can get a mobile phone or cell phone. Try to avoid taking buses and take taxi but negociate fares before you get into the taxi and pay after, after, after you get out of the taxi. Do not let them cheat you. If you can find an Egyptian female friend that will teach you the in's and outs of the way to live there and what is accepted. I adjusted very easy. I lived there 3 years. I've been away for 8 and I return Jan. 21st and can hardly wait.

Stacy

Posts: 2 | From: SALT LAKE CITY, UT | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pris
Member # 3338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacy
Thanks. You've been a big help. The part about arguments, etc. wouldn't be a problem, anyway. If anything, I'm overly polite:-) I was just glad to know that I would have access to things in the English language and could get by on a few Arabic words while attempting to learn more.

I do realize that an interest in the culture is an asset anywhere. Years ago I lived in Hawaii for a year and worked in a center where I was the only 'haoli' (white person from mainland) among other staff who were Hawaian, Japanese, Chinese, Samoan--all island born. I constantly asked questions about the background of hawaii, the traditions, etc. I didn't find any prejudice that others had experienced there due to that, I believe. In fact, they made me an honorary 'kamaina' (sp?) after two months, meaning 'long time hawaiian'.
The only thing that will be hard is the blouses below the elbows. I live in Florida now and most of my things are short sleeved, yet perfect for their climate. Is a modest short sleeved top a serious offense for just around the neighborhood, especially if I live in a mostly American suburb, but not-say-downtown?
Thanks!

Posts: 5 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pris-
A couple of words of advice for you.

#1 - We don't have any "American" neighborhoods in Cairo. They would be Expat neighborhoods, and probably more filled with Brits than Americans...so try to get over the idea that you're going to be living with Americans. The ONE that your boyfriend must be talking about would be Maadi, and a flat there in a decent part of it is going to cost LE2000 pretty much as a minimum.
#2 - Were you the one that asked that flats be quoted to you in USD instead of LE? If so, get over that too. You will be a landlords dream if you will discuss rent in USD instead of LE, but in 6 months when the exchange changes drastically, you will be kicking yourself for doing it. Over the 3 years I've lived in my flat, while the LE rent increases every year by 5%, it has gone down nearly $100 per month because of the exchange rate. If I had originally talked USD in my lease contract, I'd still be paying the original USD.
#3 Don't worry too much about short sleeves, especially if you live in Maadi. T-shirt length sleeves are fine, and you will see sleeveless in the Maadi neighborhood. Some of the people that live there have no idea what's appropriate and what isn't and it becomes common. LOL

Enjoy your move.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pris
Member # 3338

Rate Member
Yes, Maadi was the one he was referring to. He didn't actually refer to it as an American section (that's my error in the post), but said that there were more English speaking people there and many Americans (some he knew from the University there). It sounds as if it may be a pricier area than might be affordable, too, though.

Thanks for the tip on negotiating the rent in Egyptian currency. I hear the rate has been changing in favor of the American dollar for a while now. I was asking in dollars mainly since I haven't gotten the rate translation clear yet, so was trying to assess in dollar for now. I'll go to Google to get the current exchane rate and dollar equivalent for the 2000LD average that you quoted.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions and was glad to hear, too, that short sleeves aren't out of line in certain areas.

Pris

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pris:
Yes, Maadi was the one he was referring to. He didn't actually refer to it as an American section (that's my error in the post), but said that there were more English speaking people there and many Americans (some he knew from the University there). It sounds as if it may be a pricier area than might be affordable, too, though.

Yes, Maadi is expensive. Most of the USAID contractors live down there because the best school for American kids (K-12) is located there. You also have the bulk of the teachers from the school living in Maadi. These people have a housing allowance of at least $1500 (yes dollars) to spend that they can't put in their pocket if they don't spend it, so they have the market ruined in Maadi for the rest of us that can't afford this. Oil company employees often spend twice or 3 times that for flats and villas in Maadi.

Like I said before, the cheapest decent places I've seen have been LE2000/mo. (that is in the range of $300/mo). There are some flats cheaper, but in general, they will either be in an icky part of Maadi (and yes, Maadi does stretch out to poor neighborhoods where poor Egyptians live (for example, my maid lives in Maadi), or in a brand new part of Maadi that requires a car to get around because it is so far away from everything even the taxis rarely go out that far. So if someone says I have a flat for you in Maadi for LE1500 or less, be wary, be careful, and look at it before you rent. What you want is one in Digla (and be careful because some landlords are really stretching the term Digla to include some of the far out areas), the old section of Maadi (between the RR tracks and Road 9), or perhaps New Maadi over by the MGM and Satelite field. Some of that is ok and fairly economical.

Good luck.

P.S. Question - Have you ever been to Egypt? Wouldn't it be a good idea to come look at these neighborhoods and the country before making such a move?

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 04 January 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pris
Member # 3338

Rate Member
Thanks for the additional information. Yes, I would like to see Egypt before I make such a big move. I was trying to get enough information first to see if it was something I would want to consider and/or felt it was someplace I could live. While love is important, I realize it can't determine all decisions and the posts have made me feel ambivalent enough that it sounds as if a trip,when I can afford it, would be in order first.

I was wondering why the rentals ran so high in that one area and how people could afford it. No wonder! And yes, what a bummer that it ruins the area for others, pricewise.

Pris

Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stacy Star:
It would help to learn Arabic words for Where is the Bus (Fin autobeast)

Auto beast, huh. Your experience with public transportation was that bad?

Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandal, you picked up on that too, huh? Cracked me up. Everytime I look at a bus since I read that I think of her Autobeast.

Gotta admit, when I first heard the word, that is what I thought they were saying too though. It is awful similar.

Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie,

As you know, the actual Egyptian word for a bus is “autobees” which was probably derived from the “auto bus”. I have to admit though that “autobeast” is practically more accurate word and we should give Stacy thumbs up for coming up with this accurate description.

[This message has been edited by Sandal (edited 07 January 2004).]

Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com