EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » School for autistic children

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School for autistic children
Nadia1
Member # 3355

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nadia1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody, does anyone know where I can locate a school for autistic children in Cairo? there is one in Maadi that I heard of but it's too far from where my freind with the autistic kid lives, although she would be willing to try it if there was no other alternative, but come to think of it, if the one in Maadi was the only one in Cairo then probably it would be mighty expensive and would only accomodate a limited number of students.
Please note I am not talking about a scool for the Deaf-mute or a school for kids with down's syndrome. I read about a school for "Children With Special Needs" can someone explain what that means too? Thnx

Posts: 18 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nadia!

I can only help specifically with the last part of your message, as I am not familiar with the services offered in Cairo for Special Needs children. However, I did attend a meeting a couple of years ago where they said that there were only sufficient school places for about 1/3 of the special needs children in Cairo! So you will be very lucky if you find a place for your frends child as I am sure all the good schools will have waiting lists, and probably the indifferent ones too.

But basically the term "special needs" is a broad umbrella term for any children whose educational needs cannot be properly served within the normal school system without additional support/ help/ expertise. So it could mean children who have a physical, learning, or behavioural difficulty, although it often refers to children who have a mild to moderate learning difficulty or more severe mental retardation. Very often children with autism are offered services with these children, due to a lack of sufficient facilities for them or due to their diagnosis of also having a degree of mental retardation. Hope that was of some help and that someone can direct you to possible suitable services.

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 08 January 2004).]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello Nadia,

alhamdulillah, there is some interest and awareness appearing in Egypt for the subject, and inshaAllah you'll find the right school or help here:
http://www.lrcegypt.com/main.htm

and
http://www.autismegypt.com/

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com