EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » American Football

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Football
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been fortunate enough to enjoy watching the American Football through the sattelite tv channels in the comfort of my livingroom for several years. Before that, I used to buy "USA today" occasionally to read about my beloved games, or asking a visiting American expert in my work to tell me about the current season. I enjoy watching the Profootball games where the Dallas Cowboys is my favorite team. Untill now, the Cowboys are in the playoffs, wish to see them at the superbowl. I think the Superbowl is 2 weeks ahead, wish not to miss watching/recording it. I wonder, could a gentleman/lady tell me how the UT Longhorns are doing in the college competitions? I used to be a UT fan when I studied their at Austin, Texas. I used to travel with them on the road games. The channel I watch here in myhome city Alexandria transmitts only Professional competitions, NFL & AFL. I know that many Egyptians would love to comprehend the American football, but no one explains to them why those guys fall on each others, the ball is not seen at all, but they see just bodies falling to the ground. I explain the 10 yards and the four downs/touch down but unsuccessfully most of the time. There should be a live game taking place to have their eyes catch the ball as the running back take it from the Quarterback and run for a first down or if lucky a touch down, this is the excitement of the game. Anyway, I shall be glad to answer here any of my fellow Egyptians' questions about the rules of the American Football as I understood it through watching (never read a BOOK about it). I still find something new to me happens in the games once in a while. I was at UT Austin in the late seventies, a quarter of a century passed and still learning something new about the American Football! See how becoming interested in a foreign sport could make understanding all its rules so slow!
Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please; Would any interested person tell the TV Channel (Fox) administrators that we here in the mideast watch the Am football games sometimes "live" without cut for commercials! The two commentators do not, I repeat "do not", know that they are on the air in the mideast during the commercials time and tell each other jokes, talk about the coaches, talk to the director and ask him/her about the name of the player carrying the ball during a replay & which/what replay should be used when transmission is back from commercials, cough. I am afraid of watching/hearing any thing off-the-limits while the two commentators are being unknowingly on the air.
Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know any answers to any of your questions, but I like American football too and I miss it.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenya
Member # 2915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zenya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI where do you see Fox/ I pick up the football NFL live on the Amos satelite on Sunday and Mondays.
Posts: 49 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Now, I watch the play offs through a sattelite channel "TW1" / ASTRA. It appears connected to <www.orf.de> whatever that is. The pay card channel I watched since the beginning of the season suddenly stopped transmitting the playoffs. Luckily that deutch channel will enable me to watch the Superbowl, In Shaa Allah (If God will). It announce the superball timing as: Feb the 1 st 23:30 PM, Am I right in this piece of information? Salam.
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
It seems that as if the Fox TV channel got my message/apparently several other messages dreaming to watch the Superbowl. I managed to watch the game through ART-Sports 2 channel to which I am a subscriber. I could not stay late more than the second quarter. I managed to video recording the whole game. Anyway the Panthers lost to the Patriots. May be a good sign/bonus for the Bush administration to have the Patriots win in an election year as they are driving America into endless wars abusing the naive patriotism of the Americans. Back to the football game: Am I right if I understood that when the quarter back is sacked in his inzone; the defencive team wins 2 points on the scoring board? And this happenned in one Superbowl in which Minnesota Vickings won by the lowest score ever recorded in a Superbowl (2-0)?! It should have been a very boring superbowl without a single touchdown. Am I right when I consider the Space Shuttle that the camera showed to us at timeouts is the last one to fly which lost its tiles on its way back to the earth? I think the commentators did not elaborate on this. I should add that one of the commentators cared for explaining the rules of the American Football to the foreign audience from 120 countries as he mentioned this figure. Thanks a lot for his diligent/skillful methods.
Appreciate if someone kindly answer these questions.

ehostetler
Member # 2548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehostetler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't hear anything about the Space Shuttle. But as for the game, If the Offence is tackled in the end zone the defense gets 2 points and the ball kicked off to them. The game your refering to was the lowest HALFTIME score 2-0 in Super Bowl IX. That was also the lowest scoreing game off all time. The Pittsburg Steelers beat the Minnesota Vikings 16-6...If you want to know anymore about American Sports let me know..
Posts: 23 | From: Pittsburg, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Thanks for the info. To tell you the truth, USA is famous for two sports: American Football & BaseBall. Are there any other sports exclusively American as these two? As for Baseball I attended several games when I was studying/doing research at USA but could not be interested in it.
Back to the last Superbowl, I did see the camera during timeouts catching scenes outside the stadium, Houston buildings/streets close to the stadium, and the space shuttle was exhibited just outside the stadium within the superdome. When I was doing research at UT-Austin in the seventies, Earl Cambell was the running back/wide receiver of the Long Horns, and no one beat his registered score/yards with UT until very recently (forgut the name of that guy). I can tell I loved the American Football because of Earl Cambell. UT won all its games & was No 1 on top of the Southwest leauge. Only NotreDam defeated the LongHorns in the challenge game. It's History very delightful for me to remember now and then. I can not immagine how the ugly present day American policy in the mideast let America lose its dear friends as we look at it as doing harm more than helping the needy nations of the mideast. I just hope to find America liberated from the fear of a Gost called Terror, while America itself became a source of Terror to the people of the Mideast. I think most of the Egyptians are afraid to see their country destroyed/humiliated by the Americans as they did to Iraq. Sorry for this Politics. Salam.

ehostetler
Member # 2548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehostetler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tyler Rose", Earl Campbell had one of the greatest college careers of any running back he scored 40 touchdowns in his LongHorn Careers and the Hiesman Trphy in 1977 (the award for best college player of the year. His records were broken by current NFL player Ricky Williams. Earl Campbell was one of the greatest running backs to every play the gave, I'm glad he was the one to interest you in the game. I love football the most, followed by Baseball and Basketball...as for American polital policy...I follow my own policy. Be nice to people and they will be nice to you. I am far from a political person. Life is too short...
Posts: 23 | From: Pittsburg, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
To Ehostetler:
Thanks again for the info about the Longhorns/Earl campbell. Eventually, yesterday evening I enjoyed with great excitement watching the 3 rd & 4 th Quarters of the Superbowl through my videocassette tape. You seem as an American who did not miss watching a Superbowl. Have you seen such a game where the score was tie (Pats/Panthers:29/29) to the last few seconds remaining to the final end of the Superbowl game? I am sure that I will watch that tape very frequently. My impression through out the game that the Pats were playing with more confidence in their winning than the Panthers did. The Pats offence played comfortably, the receivers were at the right places for the Quarterback, The running backs went through the Panthers' Linebacks as the knife go through the cheese/butter, The Pats' quarterback (forgot his name) is more experienced than Delhomme (Panthers). The Patriots lost 2 easy Fieldgoals in the first half, I felt the Panthers were fighting through out the game just to be competent to the Pats inspite of the close score. I think the Patriots won 2 Superbowls before while none with the Panthers. I wonder how comes the Dallas Cowboys are that far from competing at the Superbowl finals. If you attended college at USA, don't you think that the Pro cheerleaders do not do the jumps/with turns in the air as the cheerleaders of the college teams do? The Pro just standing shaking those silky shining paperballs (do not know the name) and smiling artificially(without spirit) whenever the camera turns to them. I am afraid of getting to a boring speech. Forgive me, I miss communicating/exchanging views with another person about this unknown sport in Egypt. Thanks for your patience. Salam.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com