EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Bachelor and Spinster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bachelor and Spinster
Nadia1
Member # 3355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nadia1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think when a guy decides to stay single he is a BACHELOR and that makes him very attractive, on the other hand when a woman decides on that she becomes a SPINSTER, I know there is now the term BACHELORETTE, but that was only lately and not here in Egypt. There is one more term, rather old "ON THE SHELF" what shelf?

[This message has been edited by Nadia1 (edited 09 January 2004).]

Posts: 18 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Nadia,

Single women are perceived as lonely or with some sort of a problem that keeps the prospects away, he he he, by man controlled societies...and also because many women are actually not happy with that, and they show it...so obviously a Bachelor is attractive and an 'ette' is not

But at the end of the day, who cares really what the title is, as long as you are happy and comfortable and enjoying your life the way you decide?

Cheers!
Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 09 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what? I think perceptions of this are changing. When I was in my 20's I sure would have considered a woman in their 40's or 50's, unmarried, an Old Maid. I remember even wondering what was wrong with this guy I worked with when he turned 30 and wasn't married yet. He was a total BABE and I can't believe I actually thought like that. Anyway, I do believe that there are more people (at least in their 30's and over) that think I'm smart and lucky rather than sad and lonely to be 50 and never married yet. When I look at the qty of really happy marriages I know, I think I'm smart and lucky.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nadia,

It's basic in this culture that women were always supposed to be married.
If they weren't, they were thought to be aberrant. 'Spinsters' were going to lose their teeth, their breath would stink, the only way out of this predicament was to get a man.

Again this society see the the river is full of fish, and marriage for a single man is just a game of numbers and opportunities.

This is Egypt, and this is our culture.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adoula:
'Spinsters' were going to lose their teeth, their breath would stink, the only way out of this predicament was to get a man.

Who needs dentists, toothpaste and breathmints then? Just get a man. ROFLMAO

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com