EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Back in town

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back in town
Frankfurt Brit
Member # 3377

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Frankfurt Brit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I'm looking forward to returning for a short trip to Cairo this week for the first time since June 2001. Is the BCA Mohandiseen still where it was then, and if so, anyone still there I might remember? What's changed in Cairo in the last couple of years if anything??
Cheers
Fraser

Posts: 3 | From: Frankfurt/Germany | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a lot has changed...c'mon you know cairo. everything that was hip in 2001 is now dead; restaurants change owners, get a new look and a new name...oh, and everything is about 2x as much as it was in 2001. Welcome to inflation times.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 11 January 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frankfurt Brit
Member # 3377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frankfurt Brit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to be honest I didn't see much that was hip back then so I guess I wouldn't appreciate the difference ... since I'll only be there for 2 nights, one of them being a Thursday though, it would be nice to know if e.g. Jackie's is an ok place and if not where is, as I don't want to be having this conversation with a taxi driver once I get there ;-) where can a 34 year old English bloke go for a decent Thursday night out?
And what's with the BCA..? Any news anyone please.?

Posts: 3 | From: Frankfurt/Germany | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
high heels (at nile hilton), ritmo (at intercontinental). both are adj to the hotels wt separate entrance. things don't start moving until after 10pm though, so catch a nap if you know your way around, cairo jazz club is another place you might like. in mohandessin, right below the exit off the 26th of July flyover. taxi driver off the street won't know it by name only (you'll need to tell him where to go) but an overpriced hotel taxi driver should know it by name alone (or he'll pretend to).

for something quieter, try hanging out at marriott zamalek in indoor/outdoor garden area, or in the little cafe across the 26th of July street (opposite marriott) called cilantro. there's also a nice restaurant (morroccan style decor) that serves good shisha/egyptian food that's frequented by expats (so you won't feel odd if you go eat by yourself). it's called abu seid. just look for/ask for the diwan bookstore in zamalek (on 26th of july road). the bookstore is on a corner - turn right off the main street to this smaller street and look at the first bldg to your right. it'll have a massive wooden door (but you may not see any name). that's the restaurant. that little area is always hopping wt people trying to do the egyptian version of valet parking..so just ask someone to point you to it.

have fun

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frankfurt Brit
Member # 3377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frankfurt Brit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers for that :-) Did High Heels used to be called Jackies, perchance..? Just found out I'll be staying at the Heliopolis Sheraton though so I'll probably just stick around there unless there's some joint a-jumping nearby. Thereby avoiding long taxi rides... speaking of which though, what's the going rate these days from Heliopolis to the Nile Hilton..? Or Mohandiseen..? Just in case I feel particularly adventurous ;-)
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

no jackies is there. high heels is outdoor place on the opposite end of the hotel.

try emailing debbie on the scoop in heliopolis- she lives there.

taxi rates depend on if you know where you're going and if you know your way around... i haven't done heliopolis-downtown in taxi in a long time, but i would guess anywhere btw. LE 25-35, depending on traffic and if you know where you're going. At least double that if you're catching the taxi right at the hotel.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com