EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Is Egypt a Mother of All?.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Egypt a Mother of All?.
Honest
Member # 3408

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Honest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All group friends,

Since I am new here, I woul'd like you to accept my greeting, and am happy to be writing to you.

I join here to get some help about knowing what Egypt is really unique, what is difference between it and other non Gulf countries such us Jordan, Syria Morroco, I am talking the differnce between living expenses, nuture, hospitality and peace.

Please, any one of you who compare between these countries can shed some light on, since my Egyptian friends always say "Egypt is the Mother of all Nations, and most beloved one".

Thank you all for the respond.

------------------
Give opinion, listen to others, friends like fruits.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the differences between Egypt, and the rest of the world is very simple, for almost anyone who was anyone in the business of CONQUEST, has been in Egypt at some time, or another.

But may I correct the expression, 'Egypt mother of all' to 'Cairo Mother of all cities' as also Cairo in Arabic is sometimes referred to as MISR by some, and Egypt is also MISR, so it tends to be confused.

The expression per se, seems to have originated from the travel stories of 'Ibn Battuta', a Moroccan traveller of the 14th century that you can compare to the Venician 'Marco Polo'.

If you're really interested in learning about the History of Egypt, thus, differentiating it from the other countries you've stated, then let me know on this thread, and I'll suggest some wonderful books for you.

Salam,
Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 16 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honest
Member # 3408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Monica,

Egyptians say always(I hear from them)" Msr Umm addunyaa" which say it means "Egypt is the mother of the world", so my question is what Egypt offer which the other world don't have except The AHRAAM or the triangle mountain look like hundred of years buildings.

As the books you have mentioned yes I need them.

Please note, I like Egypt and I don't have anything against it, but this is just Question.

Thanks again.

------------------

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a touristic point of view, Egypt is much more than Pyramids and monuments. It is also Red Sea scuba diving, cruises down the Nile on river boats and certainly a cultural experience.

But from a historian point, the eternal "Gift of the Nile" is actually what makes Egypt so special. It's also one of the largest countries in the world, and it's called the cradle of ancient civilization.

Here are some reading suggestions for you.
For a very quick reference, I suggest:
'The Rough Guide History of Egypt' by Michael Haag, edition published in May 2003 (quite updated)
For more in-depth reading:
'Egypt, Greece and Rome, Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean' by Charles Freeman, 1996 edition; Oxford University Press.
For the history of the Middle East, I suggest:
'A concise History of the Middle East' by Arthur Goldschmidt JR.
Last but not least, for a history of modern Cairo (MISR) I suggest you start by this one:

'Cairo, the City Victorious' by Max Rodenbeck, a year 2000 edition. The author still lives in Cairo and also wrote a book in 2002, along with 4 other writers, called:
'Eternel Egypt: Pharoahs, Caesars, Caliphs'.

There you go!

Enjoy!
Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 16 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egypt_cairo1
Member # 3362

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for egypt_cairo1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Egypt is the Mother of all Nations, and most beloved one".

hi
how are you i hope you are very well with good health.
first i would like to correcet 1 thing has been said here >>>> CAIRO IN ARABIC NOT MEANS MISR BUT MEANS [ EL KAHARA]
second in egypt since thousant years alot of pepole from many many places of the world had came here and lived here some stay and some back to thire countries, egypt was look like a mother for them every 1 here lived in peace alot from every where , and i think that alot pf pepole here agree with me that egypt is so safe place for any 1 , pepole here are friendly i dont say that all is good but most are

have a nice time and i hope i didnt distrub you
ur friend from egypt

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are curious about the culture of regular Egyptians living in Egypt,check out the following books:

[*Baladi Women of Cairo by Evelyn A Early
  • Fellahin of Upper Egypt by Winifried S Black man
  • Shahhat,an Egyptian by Richard Critchfield

If you are interested in just ancient Egyptian history,check out the following:

[list]

• Oxford History of Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw
  • The Egyptians by Douglas Brewer

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • Honest
    Member # 3408

Rate Member
    Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Ausar and Egypt_cairo1, I thank you both for your insight about this subject, indeed I will try to read more it.

------------------

Quick Reply
    HTML is not enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.
    UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
    Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com