EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Maryam Dates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maryam Dates
Lady_Fox
Member # 3191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady_Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, is there anyone know about this Maryam Dates Fruit, Where can I buy it? in Egypt or at Dubai? Where of the location and how much is it per kg or pounds?

Posts: 47 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

You can buy dates in Egypt, and Dubai and Malaysia and India and even North America, they particularly abound during the month of Ramadan.

Depending where you reside, you may find them in a Middle Eastern grocery shop. They are sold in packages or loose, by the kg. They are not expensive. In Canada for example a sealed package containing 24 dates, sells for about $4.00 CAD..............BUT not the RED ones...

So...about these dates, here is an article that could be of interest to you!
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1999/460/li1.htm
Here is a part:

[The red Zaghlul dates, golden Amhat dates and black Ramli dates (now referred to by some vendors as the "Monica" {NOT ME.... THE OTHER ONE, he he he} due to the strain's extra-high sugar concentration) around, some families tell the tale of the Virgin Mary under the date palm. "And as she bit into the red, shiny date," they tell their children, "her tooth broke inside it."

It is a tale that has kept children fascinated for years. They crunch the fibrous fruit in the belief that the white top of each pit is indeed the Virgin Mary's {Maryam} missing tooth. It may be a folk tale, especially appealing to children, and requiring a firm belief in daily manifestations of the faith -- but it is a tale which has kept the tradition of date eating alive.]

ALSO...from the Holy Qur'an:

[And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm tree, it will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee…So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. (Surat Maryam: verses 25, 26]"

Enjoy!
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by Lady_Fox:
Hi all, is there anyone know about this Maryam Dates Fruit, Where can I buy it? in Egypt or at Dubai? Where of the location and how much is it per kg or pounds?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 17 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady_Fox
Member # 3191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady_Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Monica,

Thanks very much, but I want to know more about the price sell in Egypt or Middle Eastern grocery shop....

Anyway, if anyone know more about Date, please let me know. I am so interest for it.

Fox

Posts: 47 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com