EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Where can I get a floor lamp?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where can I get a floor lamp?
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what exactly they're called, but they are those tall ones with a plate-looking thing on top where the lightbulb goes.

I've looked in CarreFour, but there isn't much of a variety.
Is there a shop that sells lamps only?

I'm looking for something that looks similar to these:
http://www.collegiatemall.com/product_info.php?engine=cj&products_id=510&AID=6309477&PID=923830

or
http://www.collegiatemall.com/product_info.php?engine=cj&products_id=591&AID=6309495&PID=923830#

or
http://www.lampsplus.com/htmls/search/searchlist.asp

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Nora (edited 19 January 2004).]

Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get those anywhere. Look for a lighting store. There's also a "district" of lighting shopkeepers, a walk from the Khan (next to the Ababa post office and just down the street from where all the electronics are sold). Alternatively, there's a couple of lighting stores in Mohandessin which are on the expensive side and have nice stuff - one is on Lebanon Street, the other on the corner of El Gerizet and Wadi el Nile. But really, lamp stores are everywhere...just go out after dark and you'll notice them better.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you live in Heliopolis: Hegaz Steet,Before McDonalds (maybe after) there is a shhop called 3Brothers, Maybe you'll find it.
Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i live in heliopolis.
I guess i'll just go out one time and look around, maybe i'll spot them.

ExpinCai, what's the Khan? is that khan el khalili?

Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nora, Yes, "the Khan" refers to the Khan el Khalili, almost always.

And I'm sure you can find them in many stores. I have 2 at my flat that I got from an expat that was leaving Cairo, and if you want to pay me $45 each for them (as advertised in that first ad) I'd probably sell them to you. $90 would look better in my account than either floor lamp looks in it's respective room. LOL Just kidding. If you really don't find them, let me know. I'd consider selling them.
I also saw an electrical shop in Maadi fixing one of those lamps just before Christmas when I was out purchasing lights for my tree, so they probably have them down in Maadi somewhere too.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Debbie, thanks for the offer but I think I'll probably find them. I'll let you know if I don't though
Since you have them, can I ask you a question?
Do they light up the entire room well? My room is about 7m(length) and 5m(width), and someone told me that it would only light up a corner of the room. I don't think he really knew what he was talking about, but that could be true I guess.

Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
You can get those anywhere. Look for a lighting store. There's also a "district" of lighting shopkeepers, a walk from the Khan (next to the Ababa post office and just down the street from where all the electronics are sold). Alternatively, there's a couple of lighting stores in Mohandessin which are on the expensive side and have nice stuff - one is on Lebanon Street, the other on the corner of El Gerizet and Wadi el Nile. But really, lamp stores are everywhere...just go out after dark and you'll notice them better.

Do you know what "district" is in arabic? What would I ask for if I asked someone for directions?

[This message has been edited by Nora (edited 21 January 2004).]

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nora, I have one in my bedroom and would say that as "indirect" lighting, it lights the room up suffiencently, but I wouldn't want to read by it. It is more of a mood lighting effect.

Mine are not adjustable for dimming, but the one I saw in Maadi being fixed was.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nora:
Do you know what "district" is in arabic? What would I ask for if I asked someone for directions?
]

I think they'll call it "the street of". I would ask for the street where they sell the electronics near the Khan/downtown.

If you want to venture out on your own, you can take a taxi to the khan and walk there in about 5-10 minutes.

Basically, from Khan, walk towards downtown (on street level not the flyover LOL) away from the Al Azhar/city of the dead. It will be a pain bcs it's a very very crowded street and narrow, so be prepared.

the 1st major intersection/cross street you hit, hang the sharpest left you can. this is the electronics street. you'll be able to tell by all the people loading/unloading stuff onto mini-trucks.

you will also spot (a bit further away, past the intersection but still on your left) a big pink islamic-looking building. that's the post office. (another way to be sure you've got the right intersection, but as it's the first big busy one, you can't miss it)

walk on the electronics street on the right side of the road for about 5 min and keep glancing down the smaller street that veer off to your right -- the lighting street is one of these. it's pretty easy to find bcs all of a sudden, you see nothing but small little kiosks and shops selling nothing but lights.

have fun

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My friend told me that best place to buy lamps in Egypt is a place called Darb El Barabra which is near Ataba and you can enter it from there or from Gish street. You will find many shopes and factories, and they sell a lot cheaper, and many lamp shops in Heliopolis, Zamalek buy there good from there, so why you don't go there and have a look.

Tell us how was it if you go there

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com