EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Advice on being a single mom in Cairo...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on being a single mom in Cairo...
letitia
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for letitia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I lost my heart to Egypt 5 yrs ago & have wanted to move there ever since... One attempt failed. W/in the past 3 yrs I got married, had a beautiful daughter (now 20 months) and am now getting a divorce, soooo happy!! I am currently in school again & will be graduating soon.

I am seriously considering finally making the move to Egypt. Do you guys think it's possible? Do you know any one in a similar situation? How are the schools?

Please help.
(from USA)

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
depends...do you have a job lined up, are you planning to work, if so what are you intending to do; do you speak arabic?

things to consider as private school is pricey. there's not many nursery schools and a full-time nanny would probably be cheaper (however that depends if you need someone who speaks english or not - obviously non-arabic nanny would be expensive).

someone once posted a link to a web site with all the school info in egypt here....i suggest you do a search for it and start from there.

good luck

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
letitia
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for letitia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps! I do speak a "little" arabic, I've lost most of what I had learned, noone to practice w/... I'm working on that now.

I don't have a job lined up, but as I get closer to decision making I will work on that as well, as I do realize that is extremely important. I will be certified in Neuromuscular and Massage Therapy in June (2004). I heard from a contact in Cairo that Therapists are needed... How is Massage Therapy viewed in Egypt?

With much gratitude!

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I heard, 'Massage Therapy' is slowly being accepted as beneficial, in selected circles - in Cairo & Alexandria; I heard that there is a growing demand in resorts, mainly for tourists. And last but not least, lately it has been introduced as part of a 'Health Package' in Gyms/Sport clubs.

G. Luck!
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by letitia:
Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps! I do speak a "little" arabic, I've lost most of what I had learned, noone to practice w/... I'm working on that now.

I don't have a job lined up, but as I get closer to decision making I will work on that as well, as I do realize that is extremely important. I will be certified in Neuromuscular and Massage Therapy in June (2004). I heard from a contact in Cairo that Therapists are needed... How is Massage Therapy viewed in Egypt?

With much gratitude!

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
letitia
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Thank you Monica!

This info is very helpful & sounds positive! I had no idea at all, as I have been unsuccessful my search via the web. Honestly (not to be a bother), do you think I would be respected as a Massage Therapist, in the eyes of peers & others in Egypt? Would I "fit in"? I know how it is in America (mostly respected as it becomes more widely accepted in the healthcare field), but there are still some negative views.

Thanks again! I truly appreciate your input!

Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have male clients it will definitely be more difficult for you to be viewed as a respectable woman Also in Dubai foreign women working in Massage/Prostitution rings have been in the news, and I am sure some of that has been leaked in Egyptian society. A woman married or not giving massage to men is sure to have her reputation tarnished, unless working from a respected hospital. Add to that being single and having a child, and it may be difficult to keep people from thinking the wrong way.
If you only work with women, it will be a completely different story.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
letitia
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Thank you for your reply! I need to think everything through and decide if it is a good fit for myself as well as my daughter.

I don't think I would be happy practicing unless it was in a hospital. A sports club would be nice, but it leaves too much room for error... it seems (clients being men etc.,).

I don't know, you all have helped me in making a very difficult decision, thank you. I will research and soul search before being hasty.

Your insight was greatly appreciated!

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are called a 'therapist' in health care, or alternative medecine, then everything changes.

If you have reliable friends in Cairo, take their advice too!

One more thing comes to mind: Diet Clinics. I know there are some already established, and very successful. That could be part of the package. Diet is stressful, a Massage Therapy could provide a solution. One name comes to mind in Heliopolis; 'Easy diet'. Check it out, I think they have a website. My friends in Heliopolis were talking about it, Acupuncture treatments included too.

You might get more suggestions in the next couple of days, people are very helpful on this board.

quote:
Originally posted by letitia:
Thank you for your reply! I need to think everything through and decide if it is a good fit for myself as well as my daughter.

I don't think I would be happy practicing unless it was in a hospital. A sports club would be nice, but it leaves too much room for error... it seems (clients being men etc.,).

I don't know, you all have helped me in making a very difficult decision, thank you. I will research and soul search before being hasty.

Your insight was greatly appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 25 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear letitia or let me say Isis:

Why Isis? She is a beautiful woman, occasionally with wings.
Isis is the original single mom. She is very strongly associated with magic (one of her titles is "Great of Magic").

letitia,

Whatever the reason, being a mom alone you experience unique challenges and victories.

Egypt or US it doesn't matter, my recommendation is:

1- Don't begin the journey unless you've done your homework, counted the cost, and are willing to persevere until you reach the 'Promised Land'.

2- Make sure you're not still haunted by the ghost of marriage past.

3- Finding a job is the most easy step, the acceptance and expansion of scientific massage therapy made slow and uneven progress during the 90's. But the dramatic acceleration, which began in 2000, has continued to increase.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's a couple of good spas in cairo, including 4 seasons and Mohamad Sagheer Spa. i went to the latter and the manager is a swedish woman who's been hired to set up and run the place. you can try contacting them to see if they have an email adrs and write them... +202 736 3501

also, many of the more exclusive gyms have those types of services.

try going on egypt-talk and look under the 'database' and 'visiting egypt' for a start - lot of this kind of info has been compiled there, and copying/pasting would take too long.

also, try browing american chamber of commerce in egypt's web site
http://www.amcham.org.eg/Default.asp

they have lot of good articles as well as a list of their members wt email contacts (good place to start researching companies where to send your CV)

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 26 January 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
letitia
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Many many thanks!!!! You are all very kind! I can only hope I can be as helpful to you guys as you have been to me! I will look into the contacts (invaluable info!) you have suggested and begin my outline towards working on my goal, which hopefully will be to make the move to where my spirit comes alive.

& Adoula, you made me smile, thank you for teaching me about Isis, a true inspiration, it isn't easy being a single mom, but I love it & I have no complaints, only pride and strength knowing that this is my life & I have been blessed! I must find out more about Isis...

Again, thanks for the WONDERFUL advice, I couldn't get far w/out you guys!!

Your grateful friend,
Letitia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com