EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Tow Cultures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tow Cultures
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everybody
just observing how on the same land of a country called "Egypt"; two entirely different cultures coexist! Monica question the difference between the fantasy and real romance, single girls as Jammila enjoyed themselves with single men, ----- and the likes. On the meantime; most of the Moslem population is fasting the first 10 Days of the lunar month "Ze Elhegga" preparing for the Big Feast on the 10 th day of this Hegriea month. The Christian population is also living holy days, El Ghotas feast was a few days ago, I think my christian colleauges (Copts) fast till the Ester day, the sunday before Sham El Nesim. I think the westernized Egyptians plus their foreign friends miss/unaware of the most characterizing trait of the people living in Egypt: how the religion, whether Islam/Christianity, is deeply/strongly influencing/shaping the social life of the Egyptians! The two cultures coexist, fortunately enough, as if both blind to observe each others! I do not claim being Imam of Moslems or a Preist of Christians, I have my own weaknesses, but invite the members of this website to think of the otherside of the Egyptian life. If you miss observing/considering this side, you lived in a tinny part of Egypt with a small minority of completely westernized Egyptians who think/behave as strangers to the rest (bulk)of population. I enjoyed reading Monica's thoughts of Fantasies, something we all go through at times when we get bored of the real life, yes escapade. But even when we fantsize, we extend our dreams/wishes to the limits that religion has established to us, consequently we get back to reality and ask God to forgive our sinful thinking. I used "we", sorry, I was speaking of my own experience as a faithful husband to a caring/loving dear wife (10 years younger) for 19 years. Five years ago, I was in a training course at the States, my American friends celebrated my birthday by calling a dancer, she came very close to my face with seductive movements of her body then she asked me whispering in my ears to smile otherwise the people will think I am not enjoying it. I did make a complementary smile and after she finished her dance I apologised to her that I blamed myself for not being honest to my wife by just having her body that close to mine. I think this explains how the religion controls our social patterns. To all of you, Moslems/Christians, Happy holidays. Salam.

Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear sciencesailor,

The fantasy vs reality issue, has been a cause for many marital problems by the way, as well as divorces in Egypt, within all classes, and within the 2 co-existing cultures you have mentionned - check the number of internet cafes that opened in the past few years, in Cairo and Alexandria for example, and check who are the people frequenting them - and around the world. Also you can ask Egyptian divorce lawyers in Cairo, how many cases they have on their desk, with the cause being: internet adultery. This is not a light topic, but a very serious one indeed!

So, approaching it in good spirit, in a less dramatic way, and exploring solutions - or at least attempting to understand this phenomenon - in my humble opinion, is positive thinking.

Personally, I don't believe that individuals are faithful to their spouse -only- because religion controls their social patterns. I strongly believe that being faithful is a matter of choice we make and keep once we commit, in Egypt as Egyptians, or elsewhere as Egyptians or other. Maybe some people need to remind themselves, day and night, that they will burn in hell if they commit adultery, but others are simply faithful because they respect themselves, genuinely love and respect their spouse, and are strongly committed to family life. But that's my opinion!

Have a great Eid El Adha. God Bless you and your family.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Sincerely,

Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 26 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi friends,
I have read something interesting, and would like to share it with U.

It is easier to get married than it is to become marriageable. If you have a state marriage license and someone who is qualified to perform the ceremony, you can get married. However, whether or not you are marriageable is an entirely different matter.

By that I mean being "married" is a legal state you only need a license to enter. However, being "marriageable" means that you have the personal traits and characteristics to live successfully with a husband or wife in the intimate relationship of marriage.

A marriageable person has a history of being loyal and faithful to friends. Three of the most painful experiences in life are being betrayed, being rejected, and being abandoned.

Most of us can remember times in our past when people we thought were our friends inflicted this kind of pain on us. The person who is incapable of being loyal and faithful to friends is not likely to be loyal and faithful to a spouse.

A faithful person is going to feel guilty about not being faithful. So first, there is the strength of character to be faithful. Second, this strength of character is reinforced by guilt when the person even thinks about not being faithful. This kind of sensitive conscience will keep that person true to God, true to his or her friends, and true to his or her spouse.

Friends,

Every coin has two sides. When a rare coin dealer looks at a rare coin to determine the coin’s value, the coin dealer looks at both sides of the coin. Likewise, In this moment, we want to look at what it means to be faithless to help us get a better perspective on what it means to be faithful.

Obviously, to be faithless is the opposite of being faithful. When people are faithless, it means they were not honest about keeping their word or that their intent to be loyal can be blown away in a mere wind. When people are faithless it means they are unreliable and cannot be depended upon.

When many thing of "being faithful" to one another, it means not sharing sexual intimacies with anyone else.

Now, I remeber this: A MAN'S ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." - Albert Einstein.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Adoula (edited 27 January 2004).]

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamilah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo, Adoula!!!
Posts: 247 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of the other side/culture of Egypt that is referred to as a society controlled by religion, by sciencesailor, I would say that it does 'appear' to be so. But are the religious beliefs really forged within the new generations? or is it because it looks better that way, or because there's a sort of 'fear'? enlighten me please!

Another thing, please explain to me, does it matter to anyone on this board that you, I, her, him are from that religious belief or the other? aren't we all people and have an important thing in common: we all love Egypt? and isn't Egypt the 'mother' of all nations? and did'nt all cultures meet in Egypt at one point. That's the beauty of Egypt friends. So why do we have to specify that in Egypt ...we are faithful to our spouses because it is a religion based society? And also, that even in 'fantasy' we are so religious that we do not go where sin resides! WHAT???? El a3malon bel Neyat, that is true, but who says you're going to actually DO what you are thinking about -if you are thinking in sin? And also who said that 'fantasies' are all bad bad bad???? Can't a fantasy be good good good, and respectful!?

Still can't understand the logic behind that religious issue sciencesailor brought up!

quote:
Originally posted by Adoula:
Hi friends,

"A MAN'S ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." - Albert Einstein.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 27 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamilah:
Bravo, Adoula!!!

Well, that is easy......if I am in love with someone I am faithful because i do not desire to be with anyone else, I have found what I am looking for. There is always temptation out there but if what you found is good and the wait was so long, why would you risk losing it?

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Monica,
One good point here.

There are differences between religion, spirituality, and the covenant that God wants with us. Religion and spirituality are man- made notions.

James 1:26-7 says, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

Our relationship with God should not be summarized by a religion. Also note that "religious" as used above refers to religious acts, i.e. fasting, public acts of praying and worshipping. Consider the context that the Bible uses and the context used here. I hope that that clarifies my response to the question.

I don't think we're becoming less religious or spiritual. I think religion is finally becoming more personal. I don't think we'll ever get rid of the commercial aspect of religion, but at least it doesn't
hold as much power as it used to. People are able to develop and hold their own views their own way.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Jamilah
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamilah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how long is long?
quote:
Well, that is easy......if I am in love with someone I am faithful because i do not desire to be with anyone else, I have found what I am looking for. There is always temptation out there but if what you found is good and the wait was so long, why would you risk losing it?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Bravo Adoula indeed! (faithful)
WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(no desire for someone else) that is so beautiful...she is LUCKY!!!! And in regards with 'Spirituality', it's unbelievably rewarding - in my humble opinion!

Happy for you, Monica

quote:

Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamilah:
And how long is long?

So long, so long. But remember, never wait so long.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Ms Monica
First of all, I ask you to forgive me if I miss the exact answer to your question. It was a long stressing day at the refinery I work for. Also, forgive any messing with the spelling. I am extremely tired specially after running the track of Semoha Club to get rid of the work-tensions. I initiated a call to the foreigners reading this web page: these are not the common Egyptians you come to aquante yourself with nor the common thoughts (consequently the values) you read about in such a web page. If you were in Egypt for sometime & wishing to know the real Egypt, find out how the religion (Islam/orthdox Christianity) control/shape the social life/values of the Egyptians. If you miss catching this point, you were in Egypt with your body but yor thoughts were not enriched by the real facts about Egypt/Egyptians. I hope you agree with me about this point. As introduction to this subject I used your call for thoughts about what you later named as cyber adultery or the wild fantasies in its extreme occurrence. I intended to show how/what you as a westernized Egyptian (If this is correct) think of in this particular time where to most of the Egyptians there is one or more family/relative member(s) is/are at the Holy Lands (Hegaz) of Saudia Arabia doing their El Hag religous rituals and to most of the Egyptian Moslems they wish if they were there too. Most of my Moslem colleauges at work are fasting (no food/drinks/sex from dawn to dusk) with El Moshaf (Koran) at their hands when they have a break to rest. See the contrast. My wife; tears come out of her eyes if she watch ElAzan (call for prayer) from Mecca at the TV and wisper with wishes to be their one more time. A spiritual wave go through her body and she looks to me as if her face radiating emmissions of faith. I think this happens in most of our homes. For myself I mentioned before I do not have the desire to be there at least now.
There is nothing wrong with fantasies as long as they are controlled, meaning not as obsession/not as a mean to drift away from our spouse. To tell you a fact, when I do not have sex for a long time (more than a week) I see dreams while sleeping of the sexual things I find most exciting/interesting when sober. i wake up searching for that thing then realizing it was a dream, I smile and hide my face wishing not to be seen while recalling the whole dream! ie. its natural and at times forces itself on us. Just wondering, never/ever it were a complete intercourse! Seeing not acting! While studying in the States in the early eighties, I bought 3 novels by Nancy Friday (My Secret Gardens, Forbidden Flowers, Men in Love)Publisher:Pocket Books New York, where she collected in a social research style men/women sexual fantasies. You could be the Egyptian Nancy Friday but she had to go through the North American continent coast to coast to have her books representative of what the two Am genders think of sex privately. There was no PCs / Internet at her time. At the comfort of your living/study room you may do similar research and publish a book. Best Wishes. Salam.

Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear sciencesailor...ana bardoh Nancy Friday el masreya??? kidah bardoh?

I'm happy to hear about how beautiful your wife is, wallahy it's wonderful that she has this level of spirituality and it must be amazing for you to watch her...

But comparing me to Nancy Friday... el masreya kaman??????? haram aleik ya doctor,....did you really read my posts????

About your dreams...that was adorable...really adorable! ana elly Nancy Friday el masreya bardoh!!! taieb ya sciencesailor!!! But I forgive you !!! It's ok!!!

Hope you had a great run ...Smouha is amazing.

I do have my own column published, friend, but it's International Marketing articles for specialized business magazines....mesh Nancy Friday khalless....haram kidah ya nass!

Kidah bardoh? no problem friend!!!
The people that are praying at your work holding the Holy Qur'an at this point and time, have all my respect...bass feeh tawqeet mokhtalef ya doctor!!!

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by sciencesailor:
To Ms Monica
First of all, I ask you to forgive me if I miss the exact answer to your question. It was a long stressing day at the refinery I work for. Also, forgive any messing with the spelling. I am extremely tired specially after running the track of Semoha Club to get rid of the work-tensions. I initiated a call to the foreigners reading this web page: these are not the common Egyptians you come to aquante yourself with nor the common thoughts (consequently the values) you read about in such a web page. If you were in Egypt for sometime & wishing to know the real Egypt, find out how the religion (Islam/orthdox Christianity) control/shape the social life/values of the Egyptians. If you miss catching this point, you were in Egypt with your body but yor thoughts were not enriched by the real facts about Egypt/Egyptians. I hope you agree with me about this point. As introduction to this subject I used your call for thoughts about what you later named as cyber adultery or the wild fantasies in its extreme occurrence. I intended to show how/what you as a westernized Egyptian (If this is correct) think of in this particular time where to most of the Egyptians there is one or more family/relative member(s) is/are at the Holy Lands (Hegaz) of Saudia Arabia doing their El Hag religous rituals and to most of the Egyptian Moslems they wish if they were there too. Most of my Moslem colleauges at work are fasting (no food/drinks/sex from dawn to dusk) with El Moshaf (Koran) at their hands when they have a break to rest. See the contrast. My wife; tears come out of her eyes if she watch ElAzan (call for prayer) from Mecca at the TV and wisper with wishes to be their one more time. A spiritual wave go through her body and she looks to me as if her face radiating emmissions of faith. I think this happens in most of our homes. For myself I mentioned before I do not have the desire to be there at least now.
There is nothing wrong with fantasies as long as they are controlled, meaning not as obsession/not as a mean to drift away from our spouse. To tell you a fact, when I do not have sex for a long time (more than a week) I see dreams while sleeping of the sexual things I find most exciting/interesting when sober. i wake up searching for that thing then realizing it was a dream, I smile and hide my face wishing not to be seen while recalling the whole dream! ie. its natural and at times forces itself on us. Just wondering, never/ever it were a complete intercourse! Seeing not acting! While studying in the States in the early eighties, I bought 3 novels by Nancy Friday (My Secret Gardens, Forbidden Flowers, Men in Love)Publisher:Pocket Books New York, where she collected in a social research style men/women sexual fantasies. You could be the Egyptian Nancy Friday but she had to go through the North American continent coast to coast to have her books representative of what the two Am genders think of sex privately. There was no PCs / Internet at her time. At the comfort of your living/study room you may do similar research and publish a book. Best Wishes. Salam.

aishazahran
Member # 2559

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for aishazahran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya Sciencesailor:

Am an old member of this board, but do not like to share my thoughts, this time U convinced me to write.

No one can dispute the glory days of Islamic civilizations in the 1100's when Muslim scientists and mathematicians made great strides in their fields while the rest of the world (Europe) was plunged in darkness. However, it appears that in the 1500's a reversal was made that shifted the light of knowledge and discovery from the Middle East and North Africa to Italy and Western Europe. Of course, the Renaissance was just beginning there.

But what happened to those Islamic civilizations? Why were they suddenly left in the dust, after so many centuries of being pioneers in knowledge? Was it the religion? No, it couldn't have been; the Qur'an requires its followers to seek knowledge. Was it the system of government that these Islamic nations had, i.e. theocracy? Probably.

We all know that today Muslim countries are shamefully behind in technological progress. While America and Europe are booming centers of scientific progress, Muslim nations are lazily and complacently watching. And it's not just America and Europe. Israel and India are also quickly becoming centers of progress. There are a huge number of internet startups and computer software companies in both those countries.

It's clear there is some sort of problem in these Muslim countries. Whenever I visit them, all I see lethargy. There is no ambition, no determination, no quickness, no drive.

Obviously, something must be done.
So, the question is this: What needs to be done so that these indolent, regressive Muslim countries completely turn around and catch up with the rest of the world and live as if they are a part of the 21st century?

Back to the main subject:

Much has been said and written on the dangers and folly of cyber romances and Internet dating. It seems the traditional way of thinking always has another scare story to tell.

You may be looking for the wrong things in the wrong way.

What is wrong with cyber relationships, then, you say, if they make people HAPPY? That's the most important thing, right??

For many people, cyber relationships never become reality. They use them as a fantasy and way to roleplay, to be whoever they want to be. For others, they are their only real out-of-home contact and can be a lifeline. There are many people, who, because of disabilities or choice, rarely leave their homes. And for these people, cyber friends and relationships have become a major part of their lives. Many otherwise shy people, overweight people, or people who don't have many friends in real life suddenly find themselves popular, flitting from chatroom to chatroom, their mailboxes overflowing with e-mail and FRIENDS.

And for those people for whom the pressures of work are causing their relationships to break down, this technology provides the potential to find a replacement quickly.

Islam is peaceful, Islam is merciful, Islam allows freethinking, Islam allows freedom of speech, Islam allows freedom of expression ……..and what not.

Ya sahby, nothing wrong with cyber romance if it is within the polite conversation frame.

According to Imams Abu Hanifah, Ahmad ibn Hanbal and Malik ibn Anas, marriage is recommendatory, however in certain individuals it becomes wajib/obligatory.

But the choice of a partner should be the one with the most "taqwa" (piety). The prophet recommended the suitors see each other before going through with marriage. It is unreasonable for two people to be thrown together and be expected to relate and be intimate when they know nothing of each other. The couple are permitted to look at each other with a critical eye and not a lustful one. This ruling does not contradict the ayah which says that believing men and women should lower their gaze.

Finally let me ask U: if U have a daughter, U will let her to marry a person without seeing him as it was in Gaheleya time? if the answer is yes, so let us pray for Arab world, they will stay behind the world.

If the answer is yes, so what is the difference between this and the cyber chat if and only if it will be a clean chat.

Trust us as a Moslem women, and we will never let U down.

Posts: 15 | From: Alexanderia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Aisha,
This is your second or may be third post, but I like it, U R to the point.

Dear Sciencesailor,

Trying to establish clear cut lines on this can give you a headache. Cuz there are paradoxes.

May be U mean "Cyber-Sex, or "Hot-Chat", which is the act of describing various
sex acts with the person youre chatting with.

But is it REALLY having sex, or "just typing"? This is another point.

But as Aisha said, what is wrong with clean romance?

I think what Aisha wanted to say is that on the Day of Judgement it will be us alone who will be asked about our actions.

If Islam is right and people are not following this deen completely, they are injuring their own soul, both in this life and the hereafter.

“Verily We have revealed the Book to thee in truth, for (instructing) mankind. He, then that receives guidance benefits his own soul: but he that strays injures his own soul...” (Qur’an 39:41)

This is the true definition of freedom. To learn about Islam and the world openly. To contemplate about life and death. And after learning the truth, obeying the word of God.

“Those on whom knowledge has been bestowed may learn that the (Qur’an) is the truth from your Lord, and that they believe therein, and their hearts may be made humbly (open) to it...” (Qur’an 22:54)

Once people have this rock-solid intellectual belief in Islam, the corruption and falsehood of the people around them is clear. The beauty and wisdom of the Islamic way, the best alternative, is clear.

In true Islam, unlike culture, there is no gameplaying. If two people wish to be involved they are both straight with one another. Unlike what goes on today amongst some Muslims, they both meet each other and make a contract to marry. Women are treated with respect, there is no sexual bombardment.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya salam...'clean romance' is the magic sentence, thanks Adoula! But since I'm the Nancy Friday of the future ( kidah bardoh ya DR.science)...only kidding!

Aisha ...yenssor deenek wallahy!
Bless you, friend. Your views could be very constructive on the other thread: 'Fantasy vs Reality', please join us when you have time, if you wish.

As per sciencesailor, I am realizing you were a bit taken aback when reading the Fantasy thread, at a moment where people in Egypt are in a very spiritual frame of mind.
I understand, but there are times during the 24 hours where you do not necessarily feel spiritual ya nass, feeha haga deeh? Is there something wrong with this.

At any rate, it has all been done in good spirit!!!
Take care!
Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 28 January 2004).]

sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
To Ms Aisha
With all my respect to your mature/thoughtphully-rich reply, please be aware of the fact that the World is not the MiddleEast/North Africa vs Europe/Amrica. We picked this way of thinking from our own press, the generation of the first half of the twentieth century used to think this way(their formation years were at that time like Anis Mansour Salah Montasser and this type of top Egyptian intellectuals who are still alife. We usually blind towards the Far East Asia: Malaziea & Indonesia, both are Islamic countries and ambitous enough to be considered devoloped countries; technologically and politically. I am afraid of this way of thinking as if Islam is being under defencive side just replying to the Western charges! As if there is something wrong in Islam. yes, most of the Islamic countries are behind the West but the entire image is not that weak/sick. Within the Western world there are nations in the top middle and those of modest modernization/advancement.
I am 56 yrs old my formation years the early fifties of the 20 th century try to make use of the Internet in what it could benefit/enrich me, tried the chat ICQ as far as I remeber for a few days and deleted it after having obscene/volgar messages from homos and the likes. I passed the time of losing rationale in forming a relationship either electronically through the web or in realty. May be your generation could handle what you described as "clean cyber romance" without tresspassing to real life contacts. Also, it is completely different when you are single than my case (married). God bless you.
To Ms Monica
Very pleased with your spontaneous/funny reply to my suggestion trying to be the Egyptian Nancy Friday. All I know about the American Nancy Friday is what she managed to collect/write about the sexual fantasies of the American males/females. I do not find her achievement embarassing or obscene, at least with the standards of her society. She was curing her own society from the guilt feelings if they admitted having sexual fantasies. In America, there is two contrasting social attitudes; the fundametalist heritage of the the first waves of immigration from Western Europe vs the liberated/ antireligous establishments in the mediea/entertainment industry. Our Egyptian calculations are completely different. The Egyptian Nancy Friday can approach this same job within our own style if needed. Immitating the West with their own calculations results in social rejection (take the director Innas El degedy as an example). Will be fasting the Day Of Arrafat to share this spiritual time with my dear wife. Will escape from the bloody streets of Alexandria to our West Coast apartment in the coming vacation. Have a happy Eid El Adha. Salam

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sciencesailor:
God bless you.
To Ms Monica
Very pleased with your spontaneous/funny reply to my suggestion trying to be the Egyptian Nancy Friday.

Our Egyptian calculations are completely different. The Egyptian Nancy Friday can approach this same job within our own style if needed. Immitating the West with their own calculations results in social rejection (take the director Innas El degedy as an example).

Will be fasting the Day Of Arrafat to share this spiritual time with my dear wife. Will escape from the bloody streets of Alexandria to our West Coast apartment in the coming vacation. Have a happy Eid El Adha. Salam

Dr, I have to admit that the Nancy Friday/Inas Deghidy approach - as a 'cure' or maybe to create the awareness of what really goes on into the minds of people in general, to find solutions to the real problems that oppress societies - thus dictating a behavior that is mostly unhealthy - is in fact a very interesting one, although very controversial. But you got me thinking there ya doctor!!

Enjoy your few days away from the city!

Best regards always,
Monica

aishazahran
Member # 2559

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for aishazahran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Has not the time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of Allah and of the truth which has been revealed(to them), and that they should not become like those to whom was given the revelation aforetime, but long ages passed over them and their hearts grew hard? For many among them are rebellious transgressors." Holy Qur'an 57:16

First let me say that I am Moslema mohagaba as your wife.

Second let me say that I have lived in Europe for 6 yrs working for my Company office in Switherland, and covering all the east and west Europe.

The West is simply a very mixed bag of what is terribly wrong and what is wonderfully right. Therefore, Muslims must not treat the West as an alternative, take it or leave it. To reject or to copy is easy. To choose is difficult. But we have to be selective.

Ya sahby U said in one of your posts that U lived for some time in US, so U must understand me now.

The difficulty Muslims have with the West results from the fact that Islam is not only a religion but also a civilization.

We cannot and will not compromise. Therefore when shopping for food, we spend an extraordinary amount of time on checking whether ingredients in packages of dried soup contain pork. We will continue to fight for the right of halal slaughtering and for the right to bury our dead our way. This and issues like the right to call the adhaan out loud may seem of secondary importance. But once we start compromising where the Sharee'ah is concerned we enter upon a slippery slope. Where is the end of giving in? No Islamic dress for women? No fasting during military maneuvers? No praying at the workplace?

On the other hand, we can compromise in areas which are merely products of civilization or of non-binding parts of the Sunnah. Thus, we need not eat from a mat on the floor if we have a table or clean our teeth with a miswaak if there is water, a toothbrush and toothpaste. We can eat with a knife and fork, using both hands, since we would not actually be touching food with the left hand. We do not have to wear a galabiyyah or thawb.

This is exactly what I tried to say to U and what Monica is discussing in her thread...

Ya Doctor as Monica like to say, it is easy like that, the West, in spite of the Christian commandment of “loving one’s neighbor like oneself,” definitively suffers from a cooling of social relations. Some people do not even have contact with their neighbors.

That is why they invented this cyber romance, and cyber chat rooms.

As any new technology, U can either use it in the right way, or in the wrong way. Remember the atomic bomb.

Cyber sex is the bad usage, cyber love or romance or friendship is the good usage.

The Internet is erasing race, class, gender and even age, the barriers that can impede progress in the real world. You can’t see how old or what colour people have in cyberspace. This provides the groups such as women and minorities to cross the initial hurdle in just one jump. Muslims women in particular are very excited by the all-new avenues opened up by the Internet.

Due to the unsuitable environment and hostile attitude of the men, some Muslim women were confined to their home. Even talented and educated Muslim women lacked opportunities. Net is providing a non-corporate, gender-neutral environment that is a big lure, especially in cultures where women have education but lack opportunity.

Ok, those above may be minorities, in urban areas where communities are scattered, some time finding suitable partners is very tedious. Online marriage bureaus are far more effective because of their reach, and confidentiality. One can register with them without revealing her identity.

Moreover, in some very closed communities, while fixing marriage parents were hesitant giving permission to meet the prospective bride and bridegroom. Through email more and more youngsters are communicating trying to know each other before marriage.

Yes, some men like U still fielding a slew of queries about proper online behaviour such as whether it is acceptable for men and women to have e-mail contact and whether online shopping is permissible in Islam.

But again they are not adaptable to technology and the life rythm. remeber what I said first, take it or leave it.

A well educated Muslim social scientists who understand Islam very well opine that cyberspace is a zone where there is no distinction between the veiled and the unveiled, since the computer itself acts as a form of veil.

Kol sana we enta tayeb.

Posts: 15 | From: Alexanderia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a few words Aisha:
It's nice to read your posts, Egyptian Women that contribute to the board are rare!

About the religious part:
Did you also wear the Hejjab when in Europe?
Was that a problem at the time? In Canada it is a very normal thing, and women that wear the Hejjab have no complaints here, as far as I know. Which is great, comparing to Europe these days - the banning of the 'scarf' in France-

Just curious , as usual!
Salam for now,
Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 29 January 2004).]

aishazahran
Member # 2559

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for aishazahran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sabah el fol we el ward we el yasmine ya ahla Monica fe el ES.

Yes I used to wear the hijab in Europe.

I know France have some problems now, I believe that this is an attack on religion (Islam, Christianity,..etc...).

The headscarf is just like the cross or the skullcap – people should be able to express their religion in their own way.

------------------
in love with Misr.
Aisha

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aisha, Sabah el morgaan to you! That was so nice of you to say. Tahya Misr begad!

Merci ya doctor for initiating this thread!

Regardless of the 'Two Cultures', Egyptians are so great at welcoming everyone.

Monica
Also in love with Misr and its people!

quote:
Originally posted by aishazahran:
Sabah el fol we el ward we el yasmine ya ahla Monica fe el ES.

Yes I used to wear the hijab in Europe.

I know France have some problems now, I believe that this is an attack on religion (Islam, Christianity,..etc...).

The headscarf is just like the cross or the skullcap – people should be able to express their religion in their own way.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com