EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » monica asked for it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: monica asked for it!
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok monica asked for a new thread cnat promis its a good one - see what you guys do with this

'I purchased a new arabic phrase book today and in it it said
Did you know that 'to like' and 'to love' are one and the same verb in arabic.
so if someone says 'i love you' then all they probably mean is that they like you.'

it didnt tell me the arabic for i love you but what i want to know is is this true and how oh how are we to 'know' the difference between love and like

(maybe a discusion on the difference between love and like would be a better topic?)

do your worst guys - or your best!!

much love kay X
sorry monica this was the best i could manage - may think of something better tomorrow X

Posts: 128 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm this phrase book is incorrect. There are many words for love in Arabic, and many distinctions for 'types of' love. These are represented by different words, unlike in English where they have different adjectives surrounding the word love.
In Arabic Ana bahabak is the "I love you" that you are looking for.
When Arabic speakers use the English word love, they often mean "like." For example "you don't love spicy food?" It is only because they haven't grasped the nuances of English.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kay....that was so quick! I feel like a kid who got a new toy, a new thread woooow!!! Thanks!

Don't know what do to with it though, but I'll think...

Ok, I thought:

In arabic:
LOVE: HOB
Admiration: E'egab

My love; Habibi (Habebty)

I love you: Ana Bahebak (to a man) Ana Bahebek - (to a woman)
I like you: Ana Mo'geb bek (to a man) Ana mo'geb beki (to a woman)

But does he say: I love you with admiration? or does he say: I like you with love!!!? confusing!

Also, in Egypt, every one calls everyone 'habibi'. It's a way of expressing affection to both genders; a little bit like saying, sweetheart or honey or sweetie, but not necessarily to the significant other! To a good friend, to relatives etc...

Another lovely one is: Habib Alby ( habibet Alby) this is my favourite and it means: Love of my heart, but again it is dedicated to your friends and relatives, and not exclusively to your one and only sweetheart!

It shows you that Egyptian people are very emotional on more than one level. Aside from family, friendship is such a precious thing also, that you can easily call your best friend: 'habib alby' or 'habibet alby', and it will not be misunderstood.

Let's hope we can get more opinions/definitions, to understand Egyptian 'Romeos'

TO DEBBIE: this topic reminded me: I still have a tape for you! I will take you out to dinner -this year- and give it to you then! What about that?

Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 31 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how wonderful
as you say monica it does show just how emotional the egyptionas are (in a totaly wonerful way)

im not at all sure where this thread can go
and im now wondering if i should throw my new phrase book away!!!!!!!!!
goodness knows what im telling my habibi!?!?
oh well he keeps replying and perhaps i know now why i make him laugh so much!

talk again soon much love
kay ktkoota X

Posts: 128 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kay, make us laugh please -much needed- before throwing the book! Report a few sentences if you wish

And in regards with the word 'habibi':

At one point, I was working in a company with an opened office concept, obviously, everyone heard everything, we had no privacy.

So, an Egyptian friend used to call me on fridays, to go for dinner or something, after work, and I used to end the call saying: 'bye habibi!'

Well, one friday, the receptionnist recognizing the voice of my Egyptian friend, shouted: you have a call from habibi!

Whoooo?

That was funny!

And by the way, in some cities in Canada - Montreal and Ottawa - ARABIC is the 3d spoken language, you dig?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 31 January 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi monica
i never intentionaly make people laugh it always just seems to happen!!??
tomorrow i will go thru the book and see what i can find!
Is there an "easy" way to learn a bit of basic arabic? i keep seeing ads for tapes and cds but there are so many i get confused. any recomendations?
please concider that i have the attention span of a goldfish (about 6 seconds) so when i say 'easy' i mean it. (oh and while your all sorting me out with 'easy' stuff i really would like to lose a few pounds without any effort!! any sugestions on that score and u will make a million!)
talk tomorrow
goodnight habibis (is this the plural?)
much love and sweet dreams
kay ktkoota X

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
hi again
monica i think you just hit on a new thread.
'exquisitly embarising/funny moments'
i may have one or two for you..............
if i dare!
goodnight kay X

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
hi all
just a few phrases from my strange book.

At the Disco
aasif ana 'andi Hagaat tanya a'milha
i'm sorry i have better things to do
seebni li waHidi
leave me alone
imshi
get lost

followed by

yella nitbaadil il 'anaween
lets swap addresses

im not sure what type of people this book is aimed at or what vision of egypt the writers have (smith and smith by the way. i think that probably says it all!!) Oh well i said that i dont do things intentionaly to make people laugh they just kinda happen, only i could buy the strangest phrase book in the world (unless you know better?) well if im daft enough to fall in love in sharm! (i guess this tells you all about me) hopefully he is sitting in sharm thinking the same (any chance??)
by the way im now getting a text every day counting down the days till i get there! not something i had done! so i still have small hope.
take care all
much love kay ktkoota X

HisCrazyLover
Member # 3458

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for HisCrazyLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hello Kay!

Believe me I was in the same situation as you when things started getting seirous with my Habbi.

I cant tell you how many books, CD's & tapes I bought. The long & short of it is this.. my katoot was laughing so hard he had tears! LoL

One thing to remember is that there are may different types of Arabic, written vs spoken classical Egyption blah blah blah......

The best way I have learned is by reading or listening to the ones aimed at Egyption Arabic & then asking my habbi. We have great fun when I try to say something to him & I insist I am correct because thats what it says in the book! LoL

Arabic is a wonderful launguage I have found, so many beautiful words to express exactly what one feels. As for easy way to learn it? None that I have found so far, Just peatace pratace pratace! LoL But believe me you will have many laughs along the way

I am more then willing to share with you the limited knowlodge I have But I am sure there are many better on here to help

Good luck !

Hugs

HCL

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all
i seem to be having some problems posting this so if it comes up twice ma'lish (sorry -im told by my brilliant phrase book. - corrections please if i am wrong?)

listed under 'at the disco'
sorry i have better things to do

seebni li wahidi
leave me alone

imshi
get lost followed by

yella nitbaadil il'anaween
lets swap addresses

(the book is written by smith and smith - i think this says it all!!!!!)

under conversation
ey ray in nass fee il nifayaat is saama?
how do you feel about toxic waste?

bitsadda'fee is siHr il iswid?
do you belive in black magic?

itnasab 'alaya fee al quhira
i was ripped off in cairo

there are many more but i think i need to throw the book away. if i try any of these i dont think i will get invited back!

i hope i havent offended anyone its just for laughs!

much love kay ktkoota X

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all
i seem to be having some problems posting this so if it comes up twice ma'lish (sorry -im told by my brilliant phrase book. - corrections please if i am wrong?)

seebni li wahidi
leave me alone

imshi
get lost followed by

lets swap addresses

under conversation

there are many more but i think i need to throw the book away. if i try any of these i dont think i will get invited back!

much love kay ktkoota X

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
hi all

seebni li wahidi
leave me alone

imshi
get lost followed by

lets swap addresses

under conversation

much love kay ktkoota X

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
hi all

seebni li wahidi
leave me alone

imshi
get lost followed by

lets swap addresses

under conversation

much love kay ktkoota X

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
ok guys
i hope i have it now. sorry about all the repeats and thanks for your help (just ignore me i will get better at this - promise. X)
much love kay X

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com