EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » what can i expect!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what can i expect!
carrie123
Member # 3502

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for carrie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a teaching job starting in cario in Sept for an international school. I am from London, 29 year old female. What is the socail life like out there? have heard Ma'adi is the place to live, can anyone recommend any particular parts or apartments , any pointers really gratefully recieved. thanks
Posts: 2 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear friend

i am living in maadi, and i am here in case u need anything , be sure that u have got a youunger brother here to support on, don't worry if u have taken the step, life will be so great , maadi is a good society ,

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sallyally
Member # 3426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sallyally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Carrie123

I don't usually post, I just like to read about what's been going on in Egypt since I left. Anyhow, I finally feel that I have something useful that I can contribute.

Congrats on the job! I worked in Egypt for 3 years teaching English and it was AWESOME! I'm back home in Canada now but miss Cairo terribly.

I lived in a very quiet area called New Maadi but often wished I had found a place in Degla (a very small part of Maadi, where the CAC is located, lots of cute little shops, but somewhat isolated) or Maadi (lots of expats, good gyms, good restaurants, good supermarkets). Many of my friends lived in Heliopolis and Zamalek and were very happy there. I used taxis a lot so it didn't really matter that much where I lived in the end.

I'm not sure how you can go about finding an apartment. I was lucky in that I immediately met someone who knew someone who was renting out an apartment. Does the school not find an apartment for you? I would suggest trying to contact some of the teachers that are currently working at the school that hired you-they will probably be very helpful.

Now for the fun part-the social life in Cairo is amazing-I seriously have been so bored since I left Cairo! So many incredible people (expats and Egyptians), great restaurants, great parties, great diving...I don't even know where to start. Then there's the traveling-Sharm, Dahab, Hurghada, Siwa, Mursa Mutrooh,...

Anyhow, it needs to be said that it did take me a while to get used to living in Cairo. I was really naive and seemed to have a knack for getting into trouble. Luckily, I smartened up (a little).

Well, I hope that you have a great time in Cairo. If you want to hear more, let me know-I would be very happy to share! Surely others will post their opinions/experiences as well.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by carrie123:
I have a teaching job starting in cario in Sept for an international school. I am from London, 29 year old female. What is the socail life like out there? have heard Ma'adi is the place to live, can anyone recommend any particular parts or apartments , any pointers really gratefully recieved. thanks

please post your email and i'll write you directly. i travel a lot btw london/cairo and having lived in both places can probably answer a lot of your questions.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artmailroom
Member # 2769

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for artmailroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there !
Try maadionline.com

Good luck !

Posts: 37 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
finding an apartment in maadi is no big deal , and also in degla , i guess i can find many ways to arrange this together, it also depends on the rate u can afford for this apartment,

don't worry , here is my email
basselamir@masrawy.com
send to me any question u want

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be the voice here that says DON'T LIVE IN MAADI!!! If you are close to 30 and single, then Zamalek is the best place to live, if you can afford it.

Most of the people that live in Maadi do so for a variety of reasons
1 - They have kids that need to go to CAC to school
2 - They are working a job that will rent them a very nice expensive flat in a westernized neighborhood
3 - They are afraid of the rest of Cairo

I live in Heliopolis, and I wouldn't suggest that it is the best end of town for someone your age as I think you might get a little bored, but if your school is in Heliopolis or there are a number of other teachers living here from your school (MES has many, as does AIS) you'd have friends around.

Your school may already have a flat picked out for you, or only provide transport to school from certain neighborhoods. Check this out before making any final decisions.

It might help if you were to tell us which school you will be working for. We might know some teachers from there to introduce you to.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nsani
Member # 3071

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nsani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised at Debbie's thesis about Maadi, and I doubt the motives behind it. You got all wrong!!!. Maadi is not a small place!!. It depends on where you prefer to live in Maadi. I live in a wonderful neighbourhood (Degla) Maadi. For your information, one of my friends has just got a two-bedroom apartment (in Degla) for an Irish lady who is also a teacher. Yes, Zamalek is great but it could be very boring there. I have lived there before. Debbie's advice is misleading. My advice is this: if someone told you Maadi is great, then it is infact great and you should put it in your plans. See if you get reach those who said they can be of "real help" to you in Maadi and get them to give you what they have. In fact, I am one of those who will can direct you to dependable real estate agents (non-Egyptian), who know exactly what you may want.Wishing you the best in Egypt.Sani

quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
I'm going to be the voice here that says DON'T LIVE IN MAADI!!! If you are close to 30 and single, then Zamalek is the best place to live, if you can afford it.

2 - They are working a job that will rent them a very nice expensive flat in a westernized neighborhood

I live in Heliopolis, and I wouldn't suggest that it is the best end of town for someone your age as I think you might get a little bored, but if your school is in Heliopolis or there are a number of other teachers living here from your school (MES has many, as does AIS) you'd have friends around.

Your school may already have a flat picked out for you, or only provide transport to school from certain neighborhoods. Check this out before making any final decisions.

It might help if you were to tell us which school you will be working for. We might know some teachers from there to introduce you to.

Posts: 20 | From: Cameroon | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nsani
Member # 3071

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nsani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am surprised at Debbie's thesis about Maadi, and I doubt the motives behind it. You got all wrong!!!. Maadi is not a small place!!. It depends on where you prefer to live in Maadi. I live in a wonderful neighbourhood (Degla) Maadi. For your information, one of my friends has just got a two-bedroom apartment (in Degla) for an Irish lady who is also a teacher. Yes, Zamalek is great but it could be very boring there. I have lived there before. Debbie's advice is misleading. My advice is this: if someone told you Maadi is great, then it is infact great and you should put it in your plans. See if you get reach those who said they can be of "real help" to you in Maadi and get them to give you what they have. In fact, I am one of those who will can direct you to dependable real estate agents (non-Egyptian), who know exactly what you may want.Wishing you the best in Egypt.Sani

quote:

Posts: 20 | From: Cameroon | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nsani: Are you serious??

Nsani: Doubting Debbie's Motives?? Debbie's advice is misleading.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nsani - My information IS NOT misleading, it mearly gives a different view point. I know all the people living in Maadi, think it is the be-all end-all of living in Cairo, and I also know too many of them that won't go outside of Maadi, even for a Friday out. To me, that is sad that they become so closed minded that the Khan el Khalili or Zamalek or any other area outside of their beloved community becomes too difficult to get to, or too far away to consider venturing.

Digla is beautiful and a nice area. No arguement there, but other than a baseball field, what does Digla have, that Zamalek doesn't have more of, for fun for a 30 yr old single person? Prices on flats will be pretty equal for both areas...if you look hard enough you can find affordable in both, or expensive.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer
Member # 1443

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nsani, it sounds to me like YOU are the one with ulterior motives. If someone says Maadi is great, believe them and come to me for real estate info? But if someone says Zamelek is great, or ever greater, she must own stock in the Zamelek paving Co or something?
Posts: 322 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nsani
Member # 3071

Rate Member
Debbie, I am sorry if my posting offends you. I meant no harm. Maybe I was too authoritative in tone but I was merely putting forward an opinion. And I am so happy with your calm response to it. Jennifer got 'into your shoes' and went exploding!!!. I am convinced with your argument, but then I still believe that it depends wholly on who wants what. Remember we are talking about someone else's choices!!!.
Jennifer, your analogy is interesting, but for those who are familiar with my postings in this forum, the analogy is a game of words. I have received so much help from people in this forum, people I am not sure I will ever meet in real life settings.I will ever be grateful to them. I didn't hesitate even for a moment to ask for help here because I knew I will not hesitate if I were asked. I have no "interests" in extending a hand to anyone who needs it. You should know what I know: this type of attitude is rare in life. But I have got it from people and I have also made mind available to others. By "motives" I meant almost nothing. So, take your analogy for granted!!!!!!. And note that by addressing you,I also do not mean any harm. Take no offence!!!!.
No offence taken and none given.

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
Nsani, it sounds to me like YOU are the one with ulterior motives. If someone says Maadi is great, believe them and come to me for real estate info? But if someone says Zamelek is great, or ever greater, she must own stock in the Zamelek paving Co or something?

Nsani
Member # 3071

Rate Member
Debbie,
Are you sure you "know all the people living in Maadi......"? Do you know me? Just kidding!!. I said in a way I believe in what you are saying. Once in Maadi, it becomes very difficult for you to ever get out of it but don't you think people love this? What other things do you I cannot do because I am in Maadi? I think almost everyone is here for a puprpose. If you choose a location, then it should match with your needs of your mission here. Concerning recreation, there is more than you mentioned. By the way, we live in Degla but go for our sports in El Gezira (in Zamalek). This is quite refreshing. This does not mean I could not go for sports in Maadi and that there are no facilities there. Again, your hypothesis that you know all the people in Maadi does not fit well here. However, we all agree that Egypt is a lovely place to be (?), so no matter where we live, let's find happiness within us and not in the surroundings.

quote:
Nsani - My information IS NOT misleading, it mearly gives a different view point. I know all the people living in Maadi, think it is the be-all end-all of living in Cairo, and I also know too many of them that won't go outside of Maadi, even for a Friday out. To me, that is sad that they become so closed minded that the Khan el Khalili or Zamalek or any other area outside of their beloved community becomes too difficult to get to, or too far away to consider venturing.

Digla is beautiful and a nice area. No arguement there, but other than a baseball field, what does Digla have, that Zamalek doesn't have more of, for fun for a 30 yr old single person? Prices on flats will be pretty equal for both areas...if you look hard enough you can find affordable in both, or expensive.

felfel
Member # 3529

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for felfel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Debbie to certain extend

Maddi is more convenient for families rather than singles

it depends on where the school is , Maddi is the best if the school in area like Qatameia, New Cairo or Isamelia highway

however , if the school is in downtown , then Maddi is not the best option and I recommend Zamalek

one plus for Zamalek is that it is down town and it is very close to all entertaining places also you can move easily . it doesn't need a car ( Taxi is ok ) However Maddi will definitely requires a car

Posts: 13 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read Debbie's post again, Nsani, you will notice that she wrote:
[I know all the people in Maadi think that it is the be-all end-all of living in Cairo, and I also know too many of them that won't go outside of Maadi, even for a Friday out.] .....but she put a comma after the word Maadi, so if you take away the comma, and read it again, you will notice she did not say that she knew all the people in Maadi, but she knew that all the people in Maadi think that it is the be-all-end of living in Cairo........

quote:
Originally posted by Nsani:
Debbie,
Are you sure you "know all the people living in Maadi......"? Do you know me? Just kidding!!. I said in a way I believe in what you are saying. Once in Maadi, it becomes very difficult for you to ever get out of it but don't you think people love this? What other things do you I cannot do because I am in Maadi? I think almost everyone is here for a puprpose. If you choose a location, then it should match with your needs of your mission here. Concerning recreation, there is more than you mentioned. By the way, we live in Degla but go for our sports in El Gezira (in Zamalek). This is quite refreshing. This does not mean I could not go for sports in Maadi and that there are no facilities there. Again, your hypothesis that you know all the people in Maadi does not fit well here. However, we all agree that Egypt is a lovely place to be (?), so no matter where we live, let's find happiness within us and not in the surroundings.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 05 February 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nsani
Member # 3071

Rate Member
It seems everyone is going to write on me and Debbie!!. Wow!!. I saw your sugestion Monica, and got Debbie right!!. Thank you, but I hope no one gets nervous!!.
Jennifer
Member # 1443

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I went 'exploding' lol, but really your statement that she must have some ulterior motive for wanting people to live in Zamelek was over the top, and I was simply pointing that out. Helping people, expecting nothing in return, is great--and that's what she was trying to do, share her knowledge gained by experience, being a westerner who has lived in Cairo for years.
Posts: 322 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, you're asking for opinions, but really the most important thing is -- WHERE is your job? Commuting in Cairo is awful, so you should live as close to your work as you can.

as to my opinion, i don't like maadi either, but i think that zamalek will be too expensive for you on a teacher's salary, unless you have roomates. also landlords there prefer to rent in hard currency, which you should NOT do. always rent in LE.

i'd opt for mohandessin/dokki, which is just across from zamalek but at almost 1/2 the cost.

but. if your school is in maadi -- stay in maadi and try to get a roomate from your school. typically, it's anywhere btw 30-60 minutes each way btw maadi-zamalek (yes sometimes it's only 20 minutes, but i found it always took me at least 45 min. and yes there's a metro, but by the time you account for getting to/from the metro stations, you're still looking at 1/2 hr).

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
hi folks

i am living in maadi all my life , so maadi has advantages and disadvantages
adv: 1) quite place , classy , closed society , nearly most ppl knows eachothers even by their looks, esecially to those who spent lpng time there or going to maadi club
2) u don't go outside maadi much , just because u feel u don't need anything more, cuz u have all u want here
3) suitable society for non egyptians, singles or not,
4)u can find all categories of livings there, starting from rich to poor, all over maadi , in degla till old maadi
5)it is easy to make friends here

disadv.:
1) very quite nearly dead after 10 pm except week ends,
2) if u r working outside maadid ,then it willl be tiring to go out everyday , as u will suffer traffic which rarely be found in maadi

look folks, i am not defending maadi ,debbie had a good point of view , and i am sorry nsani , but u were so offensive,
but it all depends on the work location .
then it is possible to relocate at anytime.

do uknow what is our problem nsani ? we didn't learn to listen and think ,

------------------
BoBBoSS

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com