EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Living in Alex but with a Beard? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Living in Alex but with a Beard?
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings!

I wonder if you can help me with some advice? I'm English and became a Muslim about 5 years ago. I guess I'd call myself a modern,moderate muslim but I do keep a beard! I've heard mixed opinion on how I may be treated if visiting or living in Egypt for a while.

What do you think? I really don't want any headaches and understand that many governments (rightly so) are worried about people who may visually resemble certain trouble makers in the world even if the people have nothing to do with these crazy people!

Really hope you can shed some light!

Thanks.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR the great
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for AMR the great   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
with an english passport no one can harm you.
Posts: 97 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from the fact that when people find you are English they will won't trouble you over a beard, it also depends on the length of your beard and your other clothing. There are plenty Egyptians with beards that aren't suspected by police, but they aren't the very long ones as seen out of Iran and Afghanistan lately. You really don't have anything to worry about.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not young enough to know everything, but I just cannot see the connection between being a Moslem and having a beard. Maybe it was a tradition 1400 odd years before to have one for both Moslems and KOFAAR. I'd rather act like a good moslem, rather than look like one. A fact many don't know.. during prophet Mohamed's era, it was SONNA to have a long hair to protect one's neck from swords during battles.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Jaguar,

In general, a muslim believes that his reward in this life and when he dies is by obeying his creator and following the guidance of his messengers and prophets.

One time the prophet Muhammad said to his friends (of course this is a close translation as he spoke in Arabic):
"Whatever I tell you to do then try to do that thing as well as you can and whatever I prohibit you from then stay away from it"

Therfore, the prophet Muhammad also said:
"Grow your beard and trim your moustace"

So a Muslim does not assume that this command was only for those times but rather he follows the command to the best of his ability.

I hope that helps you see the connection between being a Muslim and having a beard! At the same time we are clearly prohibited from forcing anybody to grow the beard but it is a matter for each indivdual person to make.

Any more advise on being in Alex and having a beard...I'm getting kind of worried, even with a British Passport! Are there other parts of Egypt that I may fit in better than Alex?

Posts: 68 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just looked at your post again Jaguar and a brief point:
1) I'd also rather act like a good moslem, rather than look like one....but I'd also prefer to act like a good muslim and look like one

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by English Muslim:

"Grow your beard and trim your moustace"

I cannot dispute you. However, as far as I know Prophet Mohamed asked Moslems to trim their moustace to look different from the non moslem community. However, propet Mohamed asked moslems to (HAZEBO el Lehia).I think you are over-reacting where the beard is concerned, nothing really to be worried about. Kol Lan Yousibana ella ma katabaho Allah lana. Anyway, good luck in Alex.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Thanks Jaguar,

You said I am over reacting about the beard....do you mean about having one or how I'll be treated in Alex?

Many Thanks!

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
You see, I never thought having a beard is a problem. I know that if you have a beard, and wearing a short Galabia, then, that could be a problem. But if we are here talking about a normal beard, well, and as you mentioned you're English, I see no problem , apart from the hastle of some egyptian women who might flirt with you.Enjoy Alex.
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jaguar!

Yeah funny you should mention the women thing! When I lived in Morocco I was amazed at the amount of Moroccan women that would come over to flirt when I was relaxing at McDonalds! I think it was the English Voice coupled with the unbelievable good looks....ma sha Allah!

I heard that Egyptian women are the most beautifull women from amongst the Arabs?

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are beautiful alright... However, they are not different from any other nationality: they look at a man, talk to another and think of a third.
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that's funny Jaguar although I do think that they are only thinking of another man because they're still searching for a real man....the good news ladies is that your search could soon be over!
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
As I said , Good Luck in Alex.. As for me, you have inspired me BROTHER,, I am off to Morocco.
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Moroccan Women!!!! Wallahi I have not seen women blessed with so much beauty...then again I haven't landed in Egypt yet it's hard to imagine anyone comparing to those Maghriby sisters!
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, EM, I'm very surprised at the way you speak about women (which I've never heard from any egyptian muslim men who tend to be very to-the-letter -- note most egyptian muslim men do not keep long beards).

Second of all - I completely fail to see the logic. You are living in a non-muslim country (I'm assuming from your name). And you are SERIOUSLY concerned about how your beard will be viewed by a muslim majority in EGYPT - where islam is the major religion?

That's like a woman living in UK/US wearing a hijab, worried about how a hijab will look in Egypt and if it's frowned upon.

???

Am I missing something or are you not for real?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err....did I miss something? You are very suprised at the way I spoke about women and you have never heard any Egptian man speak about them in this way.....Have you actually met any Egptian men before..lol?

Why? Is it so unbelievable that I said how beautifull they are?? Is there anything wrong with this? Maybe you could tell me what you are so shocked about?

2) You would be suprised but many of us in the west are worried about travelling to Muslim countries with a beard or Hijab. Maybe we have bad information but this could also be because the hijab and beard are frowned upon in some countries, I rememeber my vacation to Tunisia and the time I spent downtown with the police..for days!!!

I think maybe you ae misreading my words or something....I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did then just point out to me where I went wrong.

Thanks!

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You conveniently left out the word "muslim"
And to answer the second part, well yes I have. In my limited experience, I've never really heard any muslim man speak this way in front of mixed company and in a public forum to be honest with you. Certainly there are degrees of how religious each person is...I guess I'm just confused with the whole beard issue, as I presumed you are very religious. Perhaps you were being light hearted when you wrote about flirting with women in public and your "English Voice coupled with the unbelievable good looks"

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 04 February 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear ExptinCAI,

I think maybe I've been misunderstood or misrepresentated myself so for what it's worth let me just clarify:

I suppose I am a very religious Muslim, Alhamdulliah, but I think that depends on your definition of very religious. I try my best to follow the teachings of Islam in all aspects of my life. I make mistakes; sometimes I'm aware of those mistakes and sometimes I make mistakes by accident..perhaps this is one of those times.
I do not try to fit a stereotype of what a religious person should be. I'm easy going & relaxed and I enjoy good humour that doesn't fall into the haram...

I didn't mention that I was ever flirting with women as actually I would never get into that type of stuff (unlike before I was Muslim) but all I was saying was that when I used to go to relax and have a Big Mac, Moroccan girls would come over to me and it was quite obvious that they where just trying to flirt. They'd do just about anything to hold a conversation with me. The sad part was that I was quite uncomfortable being in that situation and the other part was I felt sad that I knew they simply saw my British lineage as a passport out of Morocco and into the West....I felt they where so much better off living in Morocco then the west...

Also, of course I was joking about the reason they would do this was due to my stunning good looks...

I know that allot of stupid people come on forums and talk a load of nonsense displaying great ignorance and disrespect for their fellow human beings, perhaps that's why you jumped on my comments like that I don't know?

So I hope you're not confused any more, I am religious, I do like a joke and I do not flirt with women....any more.

[This message has been edited by English Muslim (edited 04 February 2004).]

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify:
Although joking about the reason that Moroccan girls used to come over and try to flirt with me I would just like to confirm that the English accent and unbelievable good looks' are a undeniable fact!

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
With all respect to ExptinCAI I believe English Muslim didn’t imply or say anything to offend either Moslems, nor women. He is free to write whatever he wishes.Being religious doesn't mean he should be dull. All his posts were decent. The lad has a good sense of humour, and finally TO EACH HIS OWN. As for you Mr. English Moslem, hope you find yourself a sister/sisters (limited to 4 only) in your Egyptian visit.
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Thank you Jaguar!
Who knows what I'll find in Egypt but you can always hope! I'd love to have an arabian wife so I'll keep you posted!

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The situation as I hear it from the religious men here in Egypt is that to wear a beard does carry a level of risk, as the government here is trying to contain what they see are extreme/radical Muslims. Men who wear beards, particularly the longer ones, are seen as potential extremists and radicals, therefore in any crackdown on this group those with beards will be watched most carefully. This applies equally to Egyptians and non-Egyptians, as witnessed by the British men who were arrested last year, I think it was, while they were studying at a language center and were held on the accusation that they were active members of Hisb ul-Tahrir.

As to the other issue that is being raised here, as much is a beard is a sign of following Islam, so is personal modesty and lowering the gaze, and your own comment made on 3rd February 2004 at 03:50 AM will give you the answer to why people were surprised about the things you wrote.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Dear Newcomer,

Thanks for your advise on the beard....totally confused now!

Now you'll have to excuse me if I sound a bit annoyed but I have to say that I cannot believe how people are having little digs at me for what I've typed!!!

Was it wrong to say that Moroccan women are the most beautifull women I have ever seen? Do you want me to lie and say I didn't see any womens faces when I lived in Morocco?

Was it wrong to say in jest that I'm extremlly handsome?

You said that I should look at my own post on the 3rd of February at 3:50am...err...sorry let me look again...

"Just looked at your post again Jaguar and a brief point:
"I'd also rather act like a good moslem, rather than look like one....but I'd also prefer to act like a good muslim and look like one"

Where did I go wrong there??? What was strange about that...people have read something, seem to have misunderstood that I was flirting away or some craziness.....

I love women....is that wrong to to say??

Maybe it's my ignorance but would you like to actually point out where I behaved in a strange way or unbefitting way?? What I've done is comment on facts..it makes me wonder if some of you have a problem with us bearded brothers and rush a little bit to quickly to point out signs of hypocrisy or defects in character!

Finally, I am only a new muslim so I will accept any mistakes and thank you for pointing them out to me!

Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think talking about yourself loving women in general and finding them beautiful is wrong, personally. It is infact against the spirit of Islam. Boasting is also. There are Sura to support this but I don't care to really debate this to that point. I have had a bit much of that lately on a more important issue. I *personally* don't care, but you will put many Muslims off with that behaviour. A young man looking for a wife might be expected to speak like that, but a relatively new convert that already has adopted a beard would be seen as either ignorant or hypocritical with such emphatic comments on the physical beauty of Muslim women. To be sure, there are more comments in fiqh/hadith about refraining from this behaviour than there are about wearing a beard, yet you have chosen the more obscure order while ignoring the more obvious one.
BUT so what?!?!?! Everyone should be free to make jokes, and discuss what they love in life. That is my opinion. This is not a big deal to most of society. Having a beard will indeed throw people off though, as most that have taken the beard are more aware of trying to keep the spirit of Islam. Most, not all.
Good luck in Egypt. The beard is more trouble than it is worth especially until you have more familiarity with the faith. You would be better served without being viewed as a learned follower until you are indeed that.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Is This ???The bloke isn't a sinner, nor a saint...
`¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬

newcomer:As to the other issue that is being raised here, as much is a beard is a sign of following Islam, so is personal modesty and lowering the gaze, and your own comment made on 3rd February 2004 at 03:50 AM will give you the answer to why people were surprised about the things you wrote.
Undead: but you will put many Muslims off with that behaviour. A young man looking for a wife might be expected to speak like that, but a relatively new convert that already has adopted a beard would be seen as either ignorant or hypocritical with such emphatic comments on the physical beauty of Muslim women.

Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
It is a better use of your time to take my post in its entirety rather than select things out of context... it is also not fair to do so if you are trying to represent the truth. My response to your comment is actually answered before you made the comment.
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Don't worry about my time, as I'm going back to work Saturday. I am not representing the truth (big word) and by the way, I fully read your comment, and I saw the sense of it, and probably I misquoted what I wanted to quote.(human error).. Lets not jump into dramatic conflicts, as English Moslems's question was simply about a beard.
¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!

It is a better use of your time to take my post in its entirety rather than select things out of context... it is also not fair to do so if you are trying to represent the truth. My response to your comment is actually answered before you made the comment.

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...u said:
1)I do not think talking about yourself loving women in general and finding them beautiful is wrong, personally. It is infact against the spirit of Islam
IN FACT THE PROPHET(SAWS) SAID THESE EXACT WORDS IN AN AUTHENTIC HADEETH BUT AS LONG AS YOU DIDN'T KNOW THIS THEN YOU WOULD BE EXCUSED! YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAREFULL SAYING THAT LOVING WOMEN AND FINDING THEM BEAUTIFULL IS AGAINST THE SPIRIT OF ISLAM...BRING YOUR PROOF IF YOU'RE SPEAKING THE TRUTH!
2)Boasting is also
I AM NOT BOASTING. I THANK ALLAH FOR MY BEAUTY. WHY NOT? IT IS NOT FROM ME BUT IT IS FROM ALLAH AND FOR THAT I PRAISE HIM. I ALSO THINK THAT ANYONE WHO READ MY WORDS SAW THAT I MENTIONED THAT I WAS JOKING AT THE SAME TIME!

3)A young man looking for a wife might be expected to speak like that, but a relatively new convert that already has adopted a beard would be seen as either ignorant or hypocritical with such emphatic comments on the physical beauty of Muslim women.

OH A MUSLIM MAN (DONT FORGET NEW REVERT)WITH A BEARD SHOULDNT SPEAK ABOUT WOMEN IN THIS WAY!!! SUBHANALLAH, DID ALLAH MAKE US TO BE MONKS THAT ARE CELEBATE....BRING ME ONE DALIL THAT WE CAN NOT TALK ABOUT THE BEAUTIFULL CREATION OF ALLAH!!

4)To be sure, there are more comments in fiqh/hadith about refraining from this behaviour than there are about wearing a beard, yet you have chosen the more obscure order while ignoring the more obvious one.

I HOPE YOU MADE THIS WHEN YOU WHERE IGNORANT OF SOME ASPECTS OF YOUR DEEN AND IN SHA ALLAH MAYBE YOU WILL MAKE TAUBA FROM YOUR COMMENTS. DONT FORGET THE PROPHET(SAWS) SAID SOMETIMES A SLAVE WILL SAY A WORD THAT HE DOESNT REALSIE THE EVIL OF THIS WORD AND BECASUE OF IT HE WILL TASTE THE HELLFIRE!

5)The beard is more trouble than it is worth especially until you have more familiarity with the faith. You would be better served without being viewed as a learned follower until you are indeed that.

WHAT AN EVIL COMMENT THIS WAS!!! YOU ARE SAYING THAT I SHOULD LEAVE DOING SOMETHING LOVED BY ALLAH UNTIL I UNDERSTAND MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION!!! AUDHU BILLAH MIN DHALIK....DO ANY OF US KNOW WHEN WE WILL DIE THAT WE CAN DELAY THE DOING OF GOOD DEEDS??? ALLAHUL MUSTA'AAN!

THEN YOU ASK ME TO LEAVE THIS RIGHTEOUS ACT (OF COURSE WITH THE RIGHT ATTENTION) BECAUSE....AND CHECK THIS POINT...SO I AM NOT VIEWED BY THE PEOPLE AS A LEARNED FOLLOWER UNTIL I AM INDEED THAT!! SUBHANALLAH...LEAVE THIS ACT BECAUSE OF PEOPLE.....ASTAGFIRULLAH!!!

WHY DONT U READ WHAT I HAVE SAID INSTEAD OF JUMPING ON MY BACK ACUSING ME OF THIS AND THAT...JUST RELAX A BIT, KEEP IT REAL AND BE READY TO LEARN...I KNOW I AM!

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...what a lot of words! If it wasn't for the fact that I'm sitting in hopsital right now then I really wouldn't be doing this!

For the record, I am sorry if I've upset anyone but maybe pointing out precisly where someone goes wrong and advising them with kidness and gentleness would be more benficial than cheap jabs that do little to educate someone

LeavingKSA
Member # 3498

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeavingKSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me say that British Muslim has said nothing wrong at all. what is wrong with all of you? Did you actually read what the guy said at all?

I think he should be comended for having acepted Islam without taking on the cultural baggage that many of us have!

Good on you British Muslim for keeping a beard. Though I chose not to myself I would never deny that is it preferd and better!

i reckong many of us like to shut these new muslims up becasue we know that we are weak in many aspects of our islam and try to look for any weakness or mistake we can find and highlight it so we dont have to admit how bad we look standing next to them!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's my Lad ...... and good luck in Alex (again) *wink wink*
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Plastic surgery again English Moslem?? hope nothing serious.
¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!¬!
I'm sitting in hopsital right now then I really wouldn't be doing this!

LeavingKSA
Member # 3498

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeavingKSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA ha ha
!

[This message has been edited by LeavingKSA (edited 04 February 2004).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Err, no need to scream. I wasn't making cheap jabs, and if you took it like that be assured it was not my intention.
I really don't understand why you had to scream by typing all in caps, but I will still respond to you calmly.
Firstly in response to the comment that the prophet in hadith said to love women and beauty is one thing. Talking about it so emphatically is another. If you believe it is in the intentions of what was brought in the Qur'an to promote speaking about Muslim womens looks over there other virtues, fine. I personally have never encountered anyone that agrees. Some of the lectures at Al Azhar that I attended were about this very thing, especially during Ramadan. You may interpret it your way, it is not a personal problem of mine. It will put off Muslims here in Egypt, and you can tell them that the prophet ordered you.
Regarding your next tirade: "I AM NOT BOASTING. I THANK ALLAH FOR MY BEAUTY. WHY NOT? IT IS NOT FROM ME BUT IT IS FROM ALLAH AND FOR THAT I PRAISE HIM. I ALSO THINK THAT ANYONE WHO READ MY WORDS SAW THAT I MENTIONED THAT I WAS JOKING AT THE SAME TIME!" I had already answered that and said 'so what? I believe people can joke about what they want.' Why do you take what I have said out of context? Anyway this is the first time you have praised Allah for it on this thread so your tidying up of things should be taken into account before blaming me. It seems you have taken a defensive stance and I am just telling WHY you are being received in the way you are. I personally (again) think it is fine. Just relax.
Your next comment :"OH A MUSLIM MAN (DONT FORGET NEW REVERT)WITH A BEARD SHOULDNT SPEAK ABOUT WOMEN IN THIS WAY!!! SUBHANALLAH, DID ALLAH MAKE US TO BE MONKS THAT ARE CELEBATE....BRING ME ONE DALIL THAT WE CAN NOT TALK ABOUT THE BEAUTIFULL CREATION OF ALLAH!! " heh again, it just a matter of why you are being received in this way. No, Allah didn't say a man with a beard cannot speak like this. I am not claiming that. I am SIMPLY SAYING THIS: People in Egypt will view this negatively. Perhaps for their own interpretation of Islam. Reactionary, much?

The next point you make about the amount of attention paid by the prophet on having a beard versus carrying on about women... we can disagree on that. Maybe I will burn in the fire but I don't fear that. From the way I have understood the Qur'an Allah didn't seem as concerned with a beard as compared to behaviour regarding women. Believe what you will, I will believe what I do.

As for the last comment... well perhaps you are not aware but when someone puts this symbol it means they are joking. Then you tell me to relax? and all in caps? The irony OF COURSE I don't want, care, nor expect you to cut your beard, especially if it has religious significance for you. When someone sticks out there tongue, it means they are joking and the comment should not be taken seriously. Anyway I never told you to leave the act, I just said it was more trouble than it was worth BECAUSE the beard is what makes people have this more judgemental response to you... plus it was in jest.

The whole tone of what I posted was taken wrong. I was indeed trying to tell you WHY you were receiving this negative response. I do not share that response to you and I thought that was clear when I essentially said 'who cares if you joke or carry on about womens looks' I definitely am not judging you or anything of that matter because I absolutely do not think you did anything wrong, but being Egyptian I can explain why Egyptians might think it is wrong. So now you also might want to relax and enjoy your recovery. Hopefully we don't need to explore this further and encounter further misunderstanding.

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Dear Undead,

Thank you and I do take on board how I could be percieved by Egyptians. By the way I wasn't screaming (again perception by others is a funny thing) but I only used Caps to differ with your comments I quoted...I've just seen how to use the quote feature!

I really dont mean for 1 minute that our deen teaches us to talk and oggle over women..not at all but it does allow us to discuss these things..

I think 1 important point that you've shown me is how important when living amongst a different culture to the one you where raised in then it's really important to know how you are precieved by that other culture. AFter all, you are a guest amongst them and as such you should have the respect and decency to empathise with how they feel! Although I stand 100% by everything I've said, I also am really gratefull that I've tonight reflected ont his important point.

I'll certainly reflect more on how others may percieve me and thank you for your comments! No offence meant and none taken!

Your brother,

AbdulKarim!

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Don't know what your laughing about leaving KSA...broken leg is no laughing matter...well not unless you saw it happen!
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Nice that we could clear that up! I also reiterate that I also stand by what you have said and I too have been hassled by the more hard-line Muslims for not toeing the line.
For the most part Egypt is extremely tolerant, and your common experiences there will not be negative. You sound as though you will be a more faithful follower than most you encounter. Just avoid the fanatics...

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

hi EM -
sorry if it feels people are picking apart what you write. but really to me, you're summarizing a whole bunch of feelings into a little paragraph and there's a lot of room for interpretation.

it's too bad that this has turned into more of a religious debate, as your original question had to do with a visit to egypt.

however, i hope that you can see how a few sentences were received by this somewhat liberal group of egyptians and foreigners who either live or often travel to egypt -- and that alone can give you an idea on how certain things will be interpreted.

you need to remember you will be the guest and as such, understand your host country, rather than expect them to understand where you're coming from and expecting them to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to interpretation.

many people in egypt will embrace you and will be very happy that you converted - especially if your behavior is humble and respectful.

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err....right...yes....I'm not quite sure if it's the trend of some people on this board to speed read what's posted because your advice was exactly what I myself had said..
I had said:
" think 1 important point that you've shown me is how important when living amongst a different culture to the one you where raised in then it's really important to know how you are perceived by that other culture. After all, you are a guest amongst them and as such you should have the respect and decency to empathise with how they feel! Although I stand 100% by everything I've said, I also am really grateful that I've tonight reflected on his important point.
I'll certainly reflect more on how others may perceive me and thank you for your comments! "

I actually don't agree that your misunderstanding of my comments was a representation of as you put it of "a group of liberal Egyptians and Expats" as only 2 of you mentioned anything negative and 2 other posters also disagreed with you.

Don't know why you need to give me my own advice back again (plagiarism?)but I can clearly see that some of you have some deep issues to deal with and I wish you well in dealing with them!

I have learnt a real lesson though in how I may be perceived and I will really try to be aware of that. I can't wait to get to Egypt but just still trying to find out about the cost of accommodation!

nelly
Member # 3539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear brother,
I congratulate you on your efforts to stick to the teachings of the Prophet (inward and outward) and I'm really sad that some Muslims who don't apply such teachings don't feel ashamed of trying to dissiuade a dedicated Muslim from doing so !! Any way, it is said that Egypt is the country of contradictions, so, better be careful where you get your information from and I wish you the best of luck and you will love it in Egypt, either in Alex or in Cairo where there is no religious persecution.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Dear Nelly,

Nice one!

May Allah help all of us,Amin!

Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
No one was trying to dissuade him... one person or the other seems to have problems comprehending me on this thread, no matter how obvious I make the statement quite strange...
and Nelly, if you think there is no religious persecution in Cairo or Alex I wonder if you really pay attention to what goes in those cities. Maybe for foreign people what happens behind the scenes is lost. I do not know if you are Egyptian or not, but if you are indeed Egyptian I can't imagine how you would come to such a conclusion.

[This message has been edited by Undead (edited 06 February 2004).]

nelly
Member # 3539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Undead,
I'm Egyptian and I believe, considering what's happening in the US, if one really wants just to practice his/her religion freely, they won't be bothered. I still insist there is no such thing here.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
"Insist" may be a strong word in this case. If you search any of the major world news websites you will find multiple cases of religious persecution in Egypt. I know 8 families personally who have males in prison for their religious involvement. One uncle of my friend was fortunate enough to be sick on the day that his comrades were arrested outside Hussein masgid, but he is now mentally ill from being so fearful that he is "on the list" so to speak. He moved to Alex hoping that he wouldn't be sought further by the police, but now is in a hospital for the mentally ill in Alex due to his experience.
Perhaps you believe it is worse in the States and it may indeed be, but to "insist that there is no such thing" in Egypt... it is so far from what I have witnessed I find it hard believing that some think this.
Well again, believe what you will, and I will believe what I do.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English Muslim seems to me like someone who will have a life in Alex, and also carry a beard. I don't see a problem unless, he starts 'hanging out' with people that are 'watched'.

It's that simple.

'Who are the people that could possibly be watched?' is what EM should find out and avoid!

So, EM don't speak to strangers ...PLUS, Alexandria is an extremely interesting city, I don't think that you will have time to worry about your beard being a problem, if you plan your time strategically!

One more thing: if you look like someone who is afraid to get caught, constantly looking behind you suspiciously, wearing dark glasses at night when meeting with groups of men that look suspiciously guilty of something, hanging out in dark alleys at night, solliciting people during the day etc..etc..maybe then, you should be concerned

Enjoy Alexandria!
Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 07 February 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
^^^I know 8 families personally who have males in prison for their religious involvement.^^^

Undead.. sounds like you're posting from the USSR. To the best of my knowledge, it is Not-UnDead.

English Muslim... OK Chum.. send us your picture with your beard, and we'll give you an analytical report of the situation.. BTW, are you still in hospital?

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Dear Jaguar,

I'm not that bothered about people in jail because of belief as I've found over the years that almost all gulf counties I've lived in will take action against people following groups or ideologies that in one way or another pose a threat to their existence!

I don't know of Egypt or other than it imprisoning people who are just simple happy go lucky Muslims! If you're down with certain groups or carry their books then you will ultimately reap what you sow!

As for me, then I have nothing to say about Husni, Fahad or any of the Muslim rulers!They have good and bad as do I so let me just worry about my own soul!

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
AbdulKarim.... didn't I tell you... Kol Lan Youseebana Ella Ma Katabahou Allah Lana...
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Right Right....I'm with you! Head down, Obey Allah and chill!
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Thanks Monica for setting things straight! I feel this particular thread is cursed for me, as I always have a few people misunderstand the intended tone of my posts
I just remembered a little secret that I will let you all in on: MY FATHER HAS A BEARD! and no love for religion! He has met very very little trouble, but travels in kind of exclusive circles where he is out of touch. His only trouble has come from those devout muslims that sometimes like to preach, when they assumed he was devout due to his beard only to find he didn't share the same beliefs. Never a second of trouble from the government or any officials. (He wears a beard because he finds it flatters him, and it is a short one similar to how Sheikh Mohamed Sayed Tantawi appears at Al Azhar)
PEACE ON YOU ALL AND THIS THREAD!!! MAY THE CURSE BE LIFTED!

[This message has been edited by Undead (edited 07 February 2004).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com