EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Finger Rings on the fourth finger of right hand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finger Rings on the fourth finger of right hand
Lady_Fox
Member # 3191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady_Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend tell me that the egyptian man teach him about the finger ring, if it put on the fourth finger of right hand, that mean that guy already have someone else but not yet married.

I want to ask is this true? or he lie to me again or it also have another mean.

Fox

Posts: 47 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't genralise like this. some men do some don't.

I know one man who has two wives and doesn't wear a ring because he doesn't want to offend either of them by wearing the other's ring and feels it is a waste to buy one for himself.!!!!!!!

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friend,

Wearing an engagement ring as a symbol of commitment to marriage is relatively recent, dating to the late 15th century, but the practice of wearing a ring on the fourth finger of the left hand goes back to ancient Egyptian times, as they believed that the third finger of the left hand followed the vena amoris ("love vein") to the heart.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
men who wear it on the left are married. those who wear it on their right are engaged.

no single, available man will wear it on his right (and have girls think he's engaged) unless there's some reason he wants to keep the single girls away from him (I have known single men who wear them bcs their girlfriends insist, and this is only bcs it's a show of "good faith" as they are saving money for the official engagement)

don't fall for this one...first time i came to egypt i innocently asked my tour guide if that had any significance bcs I read in a tour book that meant something....and he said it was "just for fashion." yeeeah, RIGHT. funny enough he was the only person is 4 yrs who ever just "wore it for fashion"

and further in the trip (when it was clear he wasn't going to get anywhere with either me or my friend) he slipped up in the conversation and revealed he had a fiance.

however, please be aware many married people in egypt - both men and women - do not wear their wedding bands. and, they usually don't match. a woman may have an elaborate wedding ring with gold/diamonds and a man may have a simple silver/white gold/platinum band (muslim men shouldn't wear yellow gold)

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 03 February 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady_Fox
Member # 3191

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lady_Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your comments !!!

Dear ExptinCAI,

As refer to your message, I am so great to hear about that man wear on the right hand is engaged.

Last time when he back to Hong Kong for reporting duties to his boss, he picked me buy a pair of rings (matched, sliver diamond), we both keep one in hand.

This time when he back to Hong Kong again, he explain to me why he put it at his right hand side and this was tought by the Egyptian.

I really happy he is wearing it at his right handside for me.

Fox

Posts: 47 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com