EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Renew your visa for 12-18 months..if not..what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Renew your visa for 12-18 months..if not..what?
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grettings everyone,

I'm coming to Egypt and I'd like to stay for a year or so whilst I complete a book I'm writing.

I was told that you can get your visa renewed every month but would they let me do that for 12-18 months??

If not then what are the alternatives. Because of the amount of studying I will be doing then working is not really an option so what can I do?

Many thanks!

Posts: 68 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeavingKSA
Member # 3498

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeavingKSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Saudi I know you can pay someone to hook you up with a work permit/residancy permit but I have no idea if you can do the same thing in Egypt? That may be the easiset option?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning again Mr. English Moslem.. I believe we don't have that system like in Saudi Arabia (Slavery is the word/system). You will have to settle with a tourist visa and renew it now and then.
Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jaguar....u following me?

Thanks, but do you know if I can keep renewing it for that length of time? I think I remember someone telling me that you can apply for a 6 month extended toursit visa....anyone know about this?

Posts: 68 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can renew your visa for a one year tourist visa at a cost of 46LE it is simple, cheap and really easy.

You can do this as many times as you like and you don't have to do anything illegal or dodgy

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for English Muslim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's excellent to hear Akshar,

Could you tell me what I need to do in order to get it renewed for a year?

Many thanks

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You go along to the local passport office. In Luxor there was a special window that was labled in English, tourist visa's. You fill in this simple form address name and reason for visit. Didn't ask any financial details. Photocopies of your passport details page and arrival visa and passport photos. Easy peasy

------------------

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Great Help Thank you,

Somebody told me that the maximum visa is 6 months so you're sure it's 12 yeah?

Shukran Lak!

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Well that is what my daughter and i have

------------------

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Congratulations!
And that lets you stay in the country for all the 12 months not simply that you can come in and out x amount of times within the 12 months?

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EM - Are you in Luxor? or going to be in Luxor? If not, don't think you have to go all the way to Luxor to do this. The main office in Egypt is in Cairo. It is at the Moghamma building in Tahrir Square, downtown Cairo...same area as the Museum, Nile Hilton and American University. Sadat Station if you take the underground Metro for transport.

Once there, go inside, take the steps to your right up one level and go through the door. Keep following hallways to your right. Look for other foreigners. At the end you will find the area. It's not brain surgery...but it will require some patience. And yes, one year is common and easy to get for Americans and Brits.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Thank you Debbie,

I'm really gratefull for your help, what reasons do you need to give? Can I just say that I'm loving my stay and don't want to go home just yet?

Many thanks once again!

English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Sorry Debbie,

Meant to ask you again that the 12 month visa lets you stay in the country for all the 12 months not simply that you can come in and out x amount of times within the 12 months?

I think the 3 month visa you can get(before you arrive I think) still only allows you a months stay but you can come in and out during the 3 months...or something like that?

Many thanks

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tourist visas
Regular tourist visas are available from Egyptian consulates abroad, or on the spot at Cairo, Luxor and Hurghada airports. The process is generally painless and cheaper than getting one through a consulate, but bear in mind that visas issued at the airport are only valid for one month. From an embassy or consulate the single-visit and multiple-entry types of visa entitle you to stay in Egypt for three months; the latter allows you to go in and out of the country three times within this period. Don't be misled by statements on the application form that it is "valid for six months"; this simply means that it must be used within that period (validated from the day of issue)." that's from yahoo travel.

Most people opt for a single entry as it's extremely easy and simply renew it 3-6 months, if they travel in/out of the country a lot. then next time you come back, you get yet another single entry at the airport, and after a month, you renew it again.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Thank you ExptinCAI,

I really don't want to go in and out during my stay. I'll have my family with me so would like to be able to just stay put!

Any further info on my previous question above?

Thanks again, this forum is a real blessing!

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Yes it lets you stay here for 12 months.

------------------

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in that case, get a single entry visa at the airport, then about a week before it expires go to the mogamma (armed with a smile and a passport photo but no cameras as it's a govt bldg and security will insist to hold it for you at the door).

i think lonely planet or one of those "living in egypt" guides has exact instructions on what to do, down to the 2nd floor, walk to window XX then window XX, etc. helpful, as there are barely any signs or directories and lots of stuff is in arabic. (picture the way they showed old communism bureaucracy in the movies to get a visual).

i don't know the max amount, but i do know that they were going to renew mine for 3 yrs (misunderstanding when I asked for 3 months). i saw a lot of frustrated & grumpy foreigners when i went there, so remember to walk in with a friendly and polite attitude...and you'll find the staff will find your behavior a nice change and be helpful in return.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Many Thanks for your help!
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Expat, but my advise is to not believe any of the Lonely Planet instructions or any other guide book instructions. Whatever they say is what the layout was the day their author was here and it may have changed the next week, it no doubt has changed some since printing of the book. You know that. LOL
This is Egypt, and more, this is government work.

Once you get to the area where the process takes place (first floor-down that corridor) I suggest you either go to the end of the corridor and ask at the information desk where to start (you won't get a perfect answer, but you'll get one that will get you started), or my favorite is to stop at the window that says STAMPS on it. I shouldn't give away this secret, but the people behind that window, for some reason, are the nicest people in that whole building and they have pretty good English skills. They always are willing to help and give me useful information. Personally, I take a handful of pens to give to people there that are helpful as government workers in this country are required to supply their own office supplies and a decent pen is a treasure to them. I save them up when I go to hotels that provide them in the rooms. These free pens work very well for backsheesh in this building.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. In the spot on the form where they ask why you want to stay, just write "tourism". No one is goig to evaluate your answer and decide if it is good enough to let you stay or not. Don't worry about that. "Tourism" is the word they are looking for.
English Muslim
Member # 3511

Rate Member
Thanks Debbie,

I've been on quite a few forums but this is the most helpfull (and at times argumentative) that I have been on!

Shukran Lakum!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com