EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Curtailment of girls in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curtailment of girls in Egypt
Jutta
Member # 3620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jutta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read so much about this brutal and cruel tradition and I was shocked to read, that it is still an accepted tradition in Egypt. Can anyone provide me with english texts / links about that subject? I have it only in German.
Or dear Egyptian friends in ES: do you know sites/books/texts about it in arabic?
How is this subject treated in the society? I know it is officially forbidden by law, but still accepted as a good tradition within the society. Do you know organizations which are going against it?

Posts: 53 | From: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The statistics are 90% of women in Egypt suffer female gental mutilation. In Egypt this normally means removel of clitoris only but goiing further south in the Sudan it means removal of the labia and the woman is sewn up. She has to be cut and resewn when she gives birth. Women often die undergoing this procedure.

This is not an Islamic practice as you will not find it in Suadi, Syria, Lebannon and the like. It is an African practice.

A senior mufti in Cairo has spoken out about the practice and it is condemed by the government. This has not had an impact yet on the statistics. The people at grass roots level feel they are doing the best thing for their children and this will make them safer and more protected.

If you do a search on Goggle or Yahoo on female gential mutilation you will get lots of information.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutta
Member # 3620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jutta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Akshar for the information. ;-) sometimes you can't get the right information when you dont know the right vocabulary ;-)
Posts: 53 | From: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out:
http://www.minaret.org/fgm-p.htm
www.who.sci.eg/Publications/HealthEdReligion/CircumcisionEn/
http://www.un.org/geninfo/faq/factsheets/FS3.HTM

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jutta,

A very controversial/agressive/progressive/feminist Egyptian woman writer:
Nawal El Saadawi, wrote an excellent book - very raw though - on the female genital mutilation in 1977.
The name of the book is:
'The hidden face of Eve.'
I'm sure you can get it through the internet.

The active association called : 'Women's Intellectual Contributions to the study of Minds and Society' takes part in creating the awareness, of the dangers of such practices - among other issues.

Hope this helps.
Monica
PS: I see you are into 'Egypt' from every side, girl, it's great see that.

quote:
Originally posted by Jutta:
I've read so much about this brutal and cruel tradition and I was shocked to read, that it is still an accepted tradition in Egypt. Can anyone provide me with english texts / links about that subject? I have it only in German.
Or dear Egyptian friends in ES: do you know sites/books/texts about it in arabic?
How is this subject treated in the society? I know it is officially forbidden by law, but still accepted as a good tradition within the society. Do you know organizations which are going against it?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 10 March 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutta
Member # 3620

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jutta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I'll try to do my best, Monica ;-)

Tomorrow i will even get more into it: i will arrive in Hurghada at 1pm

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BON VOYAGE JUTTA!!!!!

Explore, explore, explore, and then report !

quote:
Originally posted by Jutta:
Thanks, I'll try to do my best, Monica ;-)

Tomorrow i will even get more into it: i will arrive in Hurghada at 1pm

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pratice actually dates back to pharaonic times and mostly praticed today in rural villages. Some Islamists in Egypt have claimed the pratice Islamic but this is not. The Greco-Roman writers like Strabo make mention of this pratice. Despite the ancient pressence of the pratice,I don't recommend the pratice continue because it causes both physical and psychological on women in Egyptian soceity.

By the way,both Christains and Muslims pratice this tradition mostly in regions like Saeed[Upper Egypt] Although,I have heard even elite Egyptian women often undergo the pratice as well.

The pratice of circumcision itself probably originates in ancient Egypt. Herodotus,a Greek historian,accounts that the Aethiopies[modern Nubians] and Egyptians brought the pratice to the Syro-Palestinean people thus the semetic people. The only difference with the pratice in ancient Egyptian times is that it was preformed when children came of age as opposed to the Semetic tradition which is done at birth. One of the scenes of the matasba of Ankhmahor shows one of these tradition firmly embeded into Egypt and praticed still today in rural villages.
Edward Lane in his book''Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians'' also documents the pratice.

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 10 March 2004).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jutta

can I know the nature of your interest on FGM ( personal/research).

There was a thread on this issue in ES before, so I would suggest that you check it as it have very good information. I would also suggest to check the UN page(s) on FGM ( WHO , UNICEF and UNFPA) http://www.who.int/docstore/frh-whd/FGM/

There are very active organization as Rainbo and Forward and German ones like GTZ, youc an chek there web site.

As for Egypt the following organization are relatively active on FGM

The Egyptain Society against the harmful traditional practices

The Egyptian Task Force on FGM

There is the New Women research center

Another important reference is the Demographic Health Survey (DHS) site . You can find there prevalence rate of FGM in different practising country.

A very recent and interesting publication on FGM is FGM a controversy , edited by Bettina Shull-Duncan

If you tell me why you need the information, is it for personal interest or specific research I will be able to guide more, as sexual health is my field.

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear ausar, I have to say that available references does not favour the argument that FGM started/ originated in ancient Egyptian civilisation.

The most sever type of circumcision, which is called infibulation is practised in the Upper Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, and Djibouti .In Sudan, people called infibulation ( pharaonic circumcision) and in Egypt they call it (Sudanese circumcision). So now own want to claim it ownership to the practice and especially the most sever type of it. However, There is no sufficient evidence to assume that the practice especially the most sever type ( infibulation) has originated from Egypt.

As Efua Dorkenoo says FGM were introduce when the Nile valley was invaded by militant pastoral nomads, and cultural transformed, around 3100BC. Although FGM occurs in Egypt today, there is no evidence of it in the ptolemaic or earlier periods.

According to different references FGM must have developed independently amongst certain ethnic groups in Sub-Saharan Africa as part of puberty rites

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually,female circumcision is well documented by Strabo.

3100 B.C. is the usual date Egyptologist give for unification for Upper and Lower Egypt. I know the difference between the Sudanese pratice and Egyptian pratice,but I am willing to bet female circumcision originates in ancient Egypt becaue it is still pratice amungst the Fellahin and sa3eadi who are their direct ancestors. The label of Pharoanic circumcision is a misnomer.

Here is a website that states to the contrary.

http://www.ccsu.edu/afstudy/upd8-3.htm#Female%20Circumcision%20Revisited

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Actually there is no difference between the Egyptian infabulation and the Sudanese one. However, recently, there have been new emerging “modules” of infabulation in both countries and of course there differences in the way it has been performed.

You are absolutely right, the first mention of FGM in the Ancient Egypt was by Strabo, 10 Ac. No evidence was found of FMG earlier in the dynastic era in the ancient Egypt. While there was evidence that FGM developed independently amongst certain ethnic group in sub-Saharan Africa as part of puberty rites. Absence of any historical evidence of FGM in Ancient Egypt before mixing with Africa invaders suggest that it could have started to take hold as a social tradition in Egypt in identification with the African conquerors who succeeded to invade Egypt since the 25th Dynasty. By that time, not only the kings, but also the main priest and Amen priestesses were Sudanese. So yes FGM was practised in the Ancient Egypt, but available evidence does not support that theory that the practice originated for there.

I would terribly appreciate if could share with me the references that suggest otherwise. myself and other colleagues have published on this issue and we have examined all available resources, so it would have be of a great help if you can shed light on the information that we could have missed

Cheers

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
The first people in Upper Egypt were Africans going to at least to the Badarian period in pre-dynastic Egypt.

You first mention the date in 3100 B.C. which is about the same date as unification know you say the pratice was introduced into Egypt via Nubians from the 25th dyansty. This is absolute nonsense!!

Please mention your references that state female gentle multilation came from the 25th dyansty. Show me a Egyptologist that agrees with you assumption. Upper Egypt since pre-dyanstic time has always had a strong African element,and so has a portion of the Northern part of Egypt.

The Nubians did not invaded Upper Egypt but were actually weclomed in by the Upper Egyptians who where then ruled seperatley from Lower Egypt.

Get your historical fact straight please.

This website I previously posted says another story than what you are saying.
http://www.ccsu.edu/afstudy/upd8-3.htm#Female%20Circumcision%20Revisited

Please also remeber that circumcision of the male as a coming of age ritual is both an Egyptian and an African tradition.

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Thanks for the site. However, it suggests I quote

¡§The origin of "female circumcision" is obscure-so hazy that Hosken argues the origin is unknown (1994, p. 71). Assaad suggests that female circumcision was practiced in ancient Egypt and hence originated there. Widstrand traces classical references to Agatharchides of Cnidus, a second century BCE geographer (1964, p. 116), while Abdalla suggests that it was practiced in ancient Egypt as a way to "obtain control of [women's] magic power" (1982, p. 66)¡¨

So actually it says that origin of the practice is unknown, and in other part is suggest it mention that FGM is practiced during the Ancient Egypt , which is something I also confirm.

I can not claim I am an Egyptologist, so there are lots of things I do not quite grasp regarding the different dynasties in the Ancient Egypt ( invaded vs. welcomed) . But I did my thesis as a medical scientist/anthropologist on FGM , and I have researched extensively on the origin of the issue . My search resulted in the information I shared with you. I can only remember on hand some reference that back my theory such as:

„h Kamal, Hassan. 1964 Acient Egyptian Medicine. The public Egyptian publishers. Cairo
„h Vercoutter, Jean. 1995. L;Egypte ancienne. Dar El Fikr
„h Al Gammal, Dr. Samir Yehia, 1994. History of Pharonic Medicine and Pharmacy. The Public Egyptian Book Agency. Cairo

I have provided you with academic references and not editorial messages published in a African Newsletter!

As for male circumcision I will refer a publication by Abu-Sahleih, Sami Al Deeb 1994. To Mutilate in the Name of Jehovah or Allah: Legitimization of Male and Female Circumcision. The international Journal of Medicine and Law, Vol. 13, NO 7.8, 1994

So this is the historical facts at my end!

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Just remembered another reference

Cutting the Rose: Female Genital Mutilation the Practice and its prevention, Efua Dorkenno, 1995

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
The issue is far from resolved,but evidence does seem to work in your favor reguarding female circumciscion. What I find troubling is your selctive quotes of dates ranging from 3100 B.C. to 25th dyansty.

The African element in the Egyptian population existed well before the coming of the 25th dyansty,and is aserted in various physical anthropology journals.

However,historical documentation shows that circumcison,at least male circumcison, was praticed by both Egyptians and Aethiopies[Nubians]and later transplanted to Semetic groups.

The circumcision ritual praticed in ancient Egypt has conformity with other African traditions and groups.

Do some reserch about the Pre-dyanstic era.

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
I havejust shared with you some of the findings of my dissertation, but this was quite some time. As for conducting research on Pre-dyanstic era., I do not think so . I am more interested in the dynamics of the practice rather its origin. I am starting a three years study on the decision making process with the regard to FGM. I leave Pre-dyanstic-era research to you, as you are more capable and specialized in that domain.

Cheers

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member

I thank you for providing the references and I shall look further into them. My interest in ancient Egypt is concerning the pratices of the pharoanic era that exist still in modern day Egypt.

This deep interest comes from the fact that I am a native Upper Egyptian myself that currently resides in America. Thank you for the constructive dialogue and discourse.

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
You are welcome. I am also Egyptian but not from the Upper part. However, I worked for some time in Qena and I love it.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FGM is practiced by orthodox christains and jews of ethopia sp?. Early christains practiced it in the mediterrian and southern slavic countries thinking that it would curtail all forms of inappropriate human sexuality.

Does anyone see the Eve and the apple scenerio here? I was raised Wisconsin Synod Lutheran and before I knew what sex was I understood that women were responsible to exile man from the garden of Eden. Thus is why FGM is so harmfully done.

Quite possibly since women of ancient Egypt had such monumental influence religiously, businesswise and in government; this would be one way to destroy their sense of self and personal strength. If the most important part of a woman's life is marriage and than hinges on her virginity, then not much else would matter.

In my opinion this objectifies a woman as property. A sacrifice of her will and personal dignity in exchange for a convoluted and evil sensation of domination to empower a man. How much different is chains or cutting a persons achile's tendons?

Possibly in order to a woman of modest means to marry up this would be attractive to a man and he would prefer this sense of power, rather than marrying his social equal and having to par evenly with her.

Remember ancient Egyptians religious tenements revolved around the Nile and its fertility. In order to tap and channel its force you must break it and redervert its strength to serve man and submit itself man's needs. The shift from female fertility power to male fertility power. You don't have to revert to paganism to learn from it.

This attitude might explain desertification and why North Africa and the Middle East has lost so much fertile land. Look to what happened to the Colorado River and how Northwestern Mexico has had desertification problems.

You torture and disfigure nature, it will starve you back.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com