EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Misr?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Misr?
veigapaula
Member # 1651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for veigapaula   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ask all of you to tell me what you know about the word Misr.Thanks.
Posts: 38 | From: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawsar
Member # 3177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawsar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
misr or masr means egypt.
but nearly all egyptians and some arabs call cairo also masr

is that an answer to ur question?
i cant imagen that u didnt know yet...

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veigapaula
Member # 1651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for veigapaula   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am studying Egyptology and I need to know more.All that everyone knows I already know.
I am also studying hebrew language and it was said at one class that Misr comes from Mizraim.
I want more deep knowledge not what all the people are telling me...

Posts: 38 | From: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wacobaco
Member # 3640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wacobaco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Misr in the Arabic language (plus being a proper noun for Egypt) is meaning : country..land..trritory ..region...and its plural then AMSAR
Posts: 66 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though many books gather between the two meanings:
Misr = territory
Misr from Misraim (son of Ham, and grandson of Noah)

I believe in the second claim

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from bibleman.net:
The Hebrews referred to Egypt as Mizraim a name suggesting duality and signifies the two Egypts. The name Mesraim (Misr meaning red soil of the north) according to Josephus refers to the country of Egypt as the Mestre and the people of Egypt as the Mestreans. Similarly the prophet Joseph Smith in his Alphabet and Grammar studies referred to Egypt as Ahmehstrah and the people as Ahmehstrahans.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nile also called: Nahr Misraim, defines the River of Egypt.

Misraim is also part of the name of an international organization called Memphis Misraim, founded in the early 1800 in Italy by Jewish people, and branched out to the order of free masons.

If you make a search, on the word Misraim you will find plenty of info.

It is a Hebrew word. It means Egypt in Hebrew.

quote:
Originally posted by veigapaula:
I am studying Egyptology and I need to know more.All that everyone knows I already know.
I am also studying hebrew language and it was said at one class that Misr comes from Mizraim.
I want more deep knowledge not what all the people are telling me...

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget what others might have called Egypt;what we should focus on what the ancient egyptians themselves called their land. The name the Egyptians gave their land was Kmt and Ta-Meri,and other names as well.

The word mizraim in Hebrew means dual or the two lands. The term refers exclusively to the two-lands of Upper and Lower Egypt.

Even in antiquity the Egyptians had names for Upper and Lower Egypt: Upper Egypt being Ta-Shemu and Lower Egypt being Ta-Mehu

Ta-Shemu reffered to the papyrus sedge and Ta-Mehu reffered to the papyrus reeds of the Delta.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rula
Member # 3840

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Forget what others might have called Egypt;what we should focus on what the ancient egyptians themselves called their land. The name the Egyptians gave their land was Kmt and Ta-Meri,and other names as well.

The word mizraim in Hebrew means dual or the two lands. The term refers exclusively to the two-lands of Upper and Lower Egypt.

Even in antiquity the Egyptians had names for Upper and Lower Egypt: Upper Egypt being Ta-Shemu and Lower Egypt being Ta-Mehu

Ta-Shemu reffered to the papyrus sedge and Ta-Mehu reffered to the papyrus reeds of the Delta.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com