EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » egyptian authors books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: egyptian authors books
blau_frau
Member # 3699

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blau_frau     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Egyptsearch friends.

Everytime I live in a foreign country I like to read books from authors native from that country. Because in Sharm (where I was living in) there are few bookshops with scarcely and above all very low quality romances from western countries, I'd like to ask you about egyptian, mainly contemporary, authors and books. In this way maybe I have a chance to succeed to understand arabic countries and above all a country, Egypt, that according to most of you, I really did not had the opportunity to know, because living in a not genuine egyptian place. Yes, I was dozens of time in Cairo, but of course with not genuine egyptians because they were living in Sharm.. doesn't it???
thank you for rating me!

[This message has been edited by blau_frau (edited 17 March 2004).]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blau_frau
Here are some of my favourite Egyptian authors, you can check Amazon.com

Sonallah Ibrahim
Khayri Shalabi
Baha’a Tahar
Ibrahim Al Majid
Ahdaf Soueif
Leila Ahmad

And nany many other contemporary Egyptians novelists . Enjoy!

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Mooly El Din (edited 17 March 2004).]

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blau_frau
Member # 3699

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blau_frau     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks

[This message has been edited by blau_frau (edited 17 March 2004).]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blau_frau
Member # 3699

Rate Member
Thanks Mooly.. just disappearing from the other topics for works reasons (uni researchs ;-)
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two most common that Westeners know are Taha Hussine and Naguib Mahfouz. My two favoriets are Sheikh Tahtawi and Mohammed Abdu.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, you might also check out the following for a deeper understanding of the Egypt most foeigners never see:

1.The Fellahin of Upper Egypt by Winifred S. Blackman

2.The Baladi Women of Cairo by Evelyn A. Early

3.The Egyptian Peasent by Henery Habib Aryout

4.Growing Up in an Egyptian Village: Silwa, Province of Aswan. Hamed,Ammar

Some of these books are not without their racism or bias directed to Egyptians,some have a tinge of fake Oreintalist,but most present Egypt in a well accurate manner than most foreginers precieve Egyptians and Egyptian soceity.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blau_frau
Member # 3699

Rate Member
thanks a lot Ausar. I really expected more than names. It's difficoult to choose between lots of titles, so when somebody is so kind to explain also the kind of books, it's nice.
I am thank to Mooly too for his ratings but its difficoult to start a book wothout knowing if it is a romance, a drama, a politic book, a religious one and so on.
I would prefer to read about ordinary story of life the way to know the simple egyptian people how do they think, how do they live.
thank you both.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com