EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Serious topic: Is it proper to hang up your laundery during the day?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Serious topic: Is it proper to hang up your laundery during the day?
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now besides the possiblity of pigeons and chickens letting off a load on your linens hanging out to dry, is hanging clothes especailly undergarments proper during daylight hours?

My MIL only does this at night. My SIL only hangs her husband's clothes out during the day and hers at night.

Whats the deal?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 3491

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm suppose it could depend on the exact definition of undergarment and possibly how x rated it is considered in the place/culture, where u are about to hang it? LOL

feminine lingergie i adore! but confess i like to sandwich it discreetly amongst everyday, slightly larger apparel...can't help it, thats me..i'm shy!

Posts: 461 | From: Kelantan, Malaysia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odiab84
Member # 8455

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for odiab84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Now besides the possiblity of pigeons and chickens letting off a load on your linens hanging out to dry, is hanging clothes especailly undergarments proper during daylight hours?

My MIL only does this at night. My SIL only hangs her husband's clothes out during the day and hers at night.

Whats the deal?

If you're talking about egypt here. It's possible that a man can divorce his wife for doing such a thing even if it's by night.

Posts: 149 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by odiab84:
If you're talking about egypt here. It's possible that a man can divorce his wife for doing such a thing even if it's by night.

Actually that was a fatwa that official Mullahs and clerics have been trying to stamp out for a long time.

Egypt has balconies, not enclosed terraces like other Arab countries. The average Egyptian family couldn't afford the space need for complete harem, a family in Tunisia or Syria could afford.

Its a matter of practicalities.

But that doesn't stop Arabs outside of Egypt from bashing Egyptians for being reasonable.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

Whats the deal?

We hang our washing out at any time but never undies, they are always hidden under other washing or dried indoors. It is OK for shirts, trousers, galabeyas to be on display but never underwear.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medosa
Member # 8196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bl***y hell !!, things have deteriorated beyond belief...

When I lived there , it was never ever a problem at all...not even with the most strict of Muslims...In fact there was a funny movie in which Mohammed Reda was a laundry thief..

This is what you get , when you allow yourself to slip back in time for hundreds of years shackled by funny religious notions.

I have said it before, and I say it again...that Iranian revolution has hell of a lot to answer for !...it dragged Egypt by proxy back to the darkest ages..........Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Posts: 249 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

We hang our washing out at any time but never undies, they are always hidden under other washing or dried indoors. It is OK for shirts, trousers, galabeyas to be on display but never underwear.

okay, thats fine, but your in luxor and I couldn't follow your conventions. As I said before different rules apply to me.

didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol,
exactly yesterday we were discussing this with my husband,that in egypt,in short when we are there its unthinkable your neighbours to see your underwear,they can see his clothes even underwear,but about mine-FORGET!!!!
Then my second question was,ok my dear,and what i suppose to do with my underwear,keep it inside untill we cant bear the smell,hahaha
No iim kidding,infact he ment only that u mustnt show it open,to hide it after his clothes or any other things,just not to be on the front line

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
My MIL and SIL see no problem with my underthings (unmentionables) being out on the line. We live right next to a mosque so people don't look. But my clothes won't be on the same line as any of the men's clothes.

Only problem I have is the bird droppings.

In Alex we hang clothes up inside the condo only.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A relative from UK visited me here and thought it was a good idea not to hang undies out in public as she had always felt uncomfortable hanging hers out on the line for all to see. It makes sense not to do so; you don't let people see them while you are wearing them, so why hang them out for all to see when you're not?
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medosa
Member # 8196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
A relative from UK visited me here and thought it was a good idea not to hang undies out in public as she had always felt uncomfortable hanging hers out on the line for all to see. It makes sense not to do so; you don't let people see them while you are wearing them, so why hang them out for all to see when you're not?

If you are not in them, what difference would it make?

After all when you bought them they were in the shop for all to see!!!!

Then again why should people be interested in an empty sweet wraper ? well other than afew sad souls that is

Posts: 249 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now besides the possiblity of pigeons and chickens letting off a load on your linens hanging out to dry..

Not only that.. You might also get ants in the pants.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Sonomod,
A friend of mine will hang her undies and personals on the line during the day, but cover them with a sheet. Her belief as well as many other ladies is her husband is the only one who can see what she wears underneath. I've also seen this a couple other times especially in upper egypt. I'm just going by personal experience on what I've witnessed. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KeepinItReal:
Hello Sonomod,
A friend of mine will hang her undies and personals on the line during the day, but cover them with a sheet. Her belief as well as many other ladies is her husband is the only one who can see what she wears underneath. I've also seen this a couple other times especially in upper egypt. I'm just going by personal experience on what I've witnessed. Just a suggestion.

Yeah I have seen people put a sheet up plastic over the top of the lines.

Yet if you leave darks out on the line too long the sun will bleach them too.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to HATE my neighbours hanging their wash incl underwear (she is 60+) in the middle of my courtyard but after visiting Naples, Italy, and you know Naples is famous for that people there just hang everything hangable outside there flats (maybe because italian flats are so incredibly tiny that 40 m2 is like a real big thing already) so sometimes you can even see bicycles hanging over the balconies, but since streets are so narrow most lines run across streets so you mostly walk like under a most charming fragile tent of best linen and other wear, bec. italians, of course, invest heavily into everything that can be shown off, like clothes and monogrammed linen.
So, even ABSOLUT Napoli (for dear muslims here: Absolut is a Swedish vodka that sells mostly because of the certain memorable shape of bottle) which is trying to raise patriotic followers, and therefore created an ad series for what they consider to be the most important cities for them in the world, shows their bottle transformed into hanging linen, on its ad about Napoli.
http://www.absolutads.com/gallery/reklama.php?id=228

So ever since I returned I stopped being angry on my neighbour and now I simply think our courtyard is so much more exotic. Just that when it gets TOO exotic over too few days then I sometimes still think I should take my flimsiest nottobementioneds and hang them also out there for weeks and weeks (she has a son who is nearing adolescence), well just as a landmark or MY viewpoint on things in world or something :o)

Happy washing!!!

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 06 August 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com