EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Hair topic: for Al-Kairo Professionals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair topic: for Al-Kairo Professionals
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had asked this same question in a pm, but the pussy never got back to me so here goes.

I would like to know if in the western corporations (in Misr) prefer which style of a woman's hairstyle.

Now normally I sport the Dana Scully look from 'X-files' (a layered bob cut), but to be perfectly honest its difficult here in the USA go find a hair stylist that doesn't butcher you locks, in Egypt it must be far worse.

Now up untill a few years ago, I did wear it rather long. But this doesn't look so professional. Nice hair, but it is hell to style.

Do western corporations prefer a tailored shaped hair style or can I put my hair up into a french twist everyday (hippy style) and be done with it. With a suit or a nice skirt, silk bloose and cardigan I can swing it. Long hair might be more suitable, but a layered bob might be too butch for a Muslim dominant country.

My mother is going for a foil and she wants to drag me in for a cut. But I don't know if I should grow it out again or not.

Let me know.

Now what do you people think? In an IT office can I get by with long hair pinned up in a twist, or should I try to find a decent stylist and keep the ear length bob that gets me massive compliments?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
I had asked this same question in a pm, but the pussy never got back to me so here goes.

[b]I would like to know if in the western corporations (in Misr) prefer which style of a woman's hairstyle.

Now normally I sport the Dana Scully look from 'X-files' (a layered bob cut), but to be perfectly honest its difficult here in the USA go find a hair stylist that doesn't butcher you locks, in Egypt it must be far worse.

Now up untill a few years ago, I did wear it rather long. But this doesn't look so professional. Nice hair, but it is hell to style.

Do western corporations prefer a tailored shaped hair style or can I put my hair up into a french twist everyday (hippy style) and be done with it. With a suit or a nice skirt, silk bloose and cardigan I can swing it. Long hair might be more suitable, but a layered bob might be too butch for a Muslim dominant country.

My mother is going for a foil and she wants to drag me in for a cut. But I don't know if I should grow it out again or not.

Let me know.

Now what do you people think? In an IT office can I get by with long hair pinned up in a twist, or should I try to find a decent stylist and keep the ear length bob that gets me massive compliments?[/B]

First what is your face shape?

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
First what is your face shape?

Heart shaped with well plenty of kiddie cheek!

No I am wondering about what is more socially acceptable. I know that sporting a Susan powers look is out (spiked shaven) but a ear length to chin length bob might not be okay for a mother.

I am wondering about the socailly acceptable style and what works in the workplace.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sono, before deciding for a specific haircut you must find a good hairdresser in Egypt. And if so he/she will advise you what will look good on you. You might want to try something totally new.

I've seen Egyptian women and female expats in Cairo with all kind of haircuts - you have to feel comfortable with yourself.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

Heart shaped with well plenty of kiddie cheek!

No I am wondering about what is more socially acceptable. I know that sporting a Susan powers look is out (spiked shaven) but a ear length to chin length bob might not be okay for a mother.

I am wondering about the socailly acceptable style and what works in the workplace.

Ok I dont know about socially acceptable, but for heart shaped faces, long and to the shoulders is best fitting. avoid cutting it shorter than that or your face features will look more rough. You can maybe try this "stair" cutting. and if you have big eyes, try to go for a bang, that is cut on the side. like the new Catherine Zeta Jones bang.
well i hope my advice helped you

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi sono, i think you can pretty much cut your hair anyway you want as long as its not something bizarre. and by bizarre i mean punk styles, or dying your hair blue. these styles would make people in egypt turn around and stare. dreadlocks are fine if you go to places like AUC, but other than that they would still get you some unwanted attention. anyway i don't think you were planning to do any of those stuff, so my point is anything else is fine!

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so its not as complicated issue as I thought. Possibly I am tweaking because my in-laws are from Shebin and I worry about what their reactions will be to me having shorn my locks.

Trying to figure out if the longer hair would be more practical than the ear length bob, which is the best hairstyle I have had in a decade.

But growing it out and putting it up in a hair clip would be useful, I'll have to wear a head scarf going from work to home. After a few trips through Al Kairo without a male relative I notice what happened when I didn't travel with a male relative. WOW what a difference. A scarf is in order for some routes and longer hair might be more practical.

But thank you for your advice.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com