EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Purchasing a Computer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Purchasing a Computer
Hope
Member # 8567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone purchased a computer from a company in Cairo?

Im after a laptop, as I will be here a while, and wanted to know some reuptable sales companies, especially regarding aftersales service, support and warranties etc.

Would you buy new or used?

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Hope

Posts: 42 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope
Member # 8567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, help me someone. This time Im just after advice on buying a computer!

Thank you kindly,
hopeandlight13@yahoo.com

Posts: 42 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once I bought a used laptop in Caire, it looked great, I trusted the guy who sold it to me, I had negociated the price, and was so happy with my new laptop!!! Three months later it wasn't working anymore, and no one could fix it, and I was so mad at me, because my close friends had warned me against these used laptops...Silly me, I didn't listen to them, and I wasted my money If you can't buy one from your home country, then maybe you should go and check for one in a place like Carrefour. The after sale service, I think, should be correct.
Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soum
Member # 4840

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont adivce you to buy a used laptop .

you can call 'InterAct', it s located in Maadi, : 5203324/5/6

I trust them, this are alawys offering after sales services.

Good luck

Posts: 62 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hassan.Reda
Member # 8633

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hassan.Reda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hope:
Please, help me someone. This time Im just after advice on buying a computer!

Thank you kindly,
hopeandlight13@yahoo.com

I think it's better to bring your own laptop with you

Posts: 354 | From: cairo,cairo,egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As laptops aren't very popular here yet they don't have very many support services. I would suggest either buying a new one here with warranty or bringing one from overseas. But if you do bring one in from overseas, make sure that it is a brand that has a service centre in Egypt and the guarantee covers overseas servicing. A friend brought one in and was told to take it back to the States to get it repaired as the warranty was only for inside the USA.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
I would suggest either buying a new one here with warranty or bringing one from overseas.

I would advise the same thing.

Buying a used laptop in Egypt would not only be kind of risky but they are also much harder to come by. I brought one over for a friend last year because he needed a simple cheap laptop and couldn't find it in Cairo.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 16 August 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soum
Member # 4840

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but if she brought it from abroad and in case a piece is damaged , they will not repair it in eygpt , she/he should send it to the place she bought it from,
i faced this problem before

Posts: 62 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope
Member # 8567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
I would suggest either buying a new one here with warranty or bringing one from overseas.

But Im here already, I live in Mohandeseen, so I dont think ordering from overseas would be a good idea.

I had to pay 18LE customs on a copied CD worth $0.70 that I left at a friends place in England and she posted to me. How much would I have to pay for a $1000 computer??

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hope!

I wasn’t suggesting that you ordered one from overseas, but that either you brought one in if you were travelling or a friend coming to Egypt could bring one for you as you don’t have to pay customs on a laptop when you bring one into the country and it’s not recorded on your passport. If you don’t have that option then I guess buying a new one here is your best bet, but you will probably find them very expensive in comparison as they are not common here yet.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coquin
Member # 6357

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coquin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never buy a used one, for sure. Yet a new one would be out of date within 3 years, just forget it. I'm not speaking about the specs, but the after sale follow up by the constructor, the availability of parts...

I've seen plenty of very good laptops and desktops at the great new Carrefour, near maadi, ain sukhne road : you have great choice there, but not sure about after sale garantees.

Posts: 10 | From: europe | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com