EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Adhaf Soueif

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adhaf Soueif
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 5 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm about to read her novel, In the Eye of the Sun. Has anyone read her work? If so, do you like it?? Just curious, before I embark on an 800-page novel.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read that one years ago. You definitely won't regret reading it.
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-H-D-af Soueif

You keep misspelling names my dear

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
A-H-D-af Soueif

Please!?!? Its a second language for us. And besides I see different spellings all the time for the most notable people written by notable journalists.

Its confusing, I know. I wish there was a permenant, regmental style to transliterate Arabic into English, but there isn't.

Makes learning Arabi really hard. (crying)

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am currently reading A woman of Egypt by Jehan Sadat. It is her autobiography of her life with Ahwar Sadat.

Really enjoying it, add it to your list when you have finished Eye of the Sun

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A-H-D-af Soueif

But that spelling might make it easier for me to look up to the book at the U.

thanks.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Is it insane for me to admit to reading "A Daugter of Isis" by El Saadawi.

I wanted to know what all the commotion was about, after reading English language media articles about how awful of a woman she is, I just had to figure her out for myself.

Explains the Delta village complex to a 'T'.

Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Am currently reading A woman of Egypt by Jehan Sadat. It is her autobiography of her life with Ahwar Sadat.

A make belief one. The real story is that her husband was as corrupt as they come. She wasn't much better and probably still isn't.

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The People:
A make belief one. The real story is that her husband was as corrupt as they come. She wasn't much better and probably still isn't.

Okay now you've stepped on my toes. He should be forgiven anything cos he finally sought peace.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Cool, thanks! Sounds interesting!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Is it insane for me to admit to reading "A Daugter of Isis" by El Saadawi.

I wanted to know what all the commotion was about, after reading English language media articles about how awful of a woman she is, I just had to figure her out for myself.

Explains the Delta village complex to a 'T'.

Wow, that book looks extremely interesting. I'm afraid I'd never heard of her, though. Thanks for the heads up.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
A-H-D-af Soueif

Sorry, didn't realize I was often misspelling people's names....you're the first to point it out.

[This message has been edited by Snoozin (edited 15 August 2005).]

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
I'm about to read her novel, In the Eye of the Sun. Has anyone read her work?

I've read "In the Eye of the Sun" and quite liked it. It's a good novel, you get very close to the main character, a woman, and you also experience a piece of Egyptian history through her eyes.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The People:

Well as Jehan was the offspring of an English mother I think I will put some faith in that and continue to enjoy the book which does not read like a fairy story to me. English mothers in the 1940/50s were a tough upstanding breed and not much has changed since then.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Well as Jehan was the offspring of an English mother I think I will put some faith in that and continue to enjoy the book which does not read like a fairy story to me. English mothers in the 1940/50s were a tough upstanding breed and not much has changed since then.

Actually she was part Maltese and spent part of her childhood in England.

Answar Sadat had a massive self-image issue due to his father marrying for socail climbing. Sadat's mother was a Sudanese women with dark skin. Whenever Sadat's father embarked on a new career approach his mother went out and found a new wife that would supply that connection to make it happen.

Sadat felt being with a light skinned wife would bring him success. Unfortunatley his tactic worked.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Actually she was part Maltese and spent part of her childhood in England.

Answar Sadat had a massive self-image issue due to his father marrying for socail climbing. Sadat's mother was a Sudanese women with dark skin. Whenever Sadat's father embarked on a new career approach his mother went out and found a new wife that would supply that connection to make it happen.

Sadat felt being with a light skinned wife would bring him success. Unfortunatley his tactic worked.

None of that is true according to the book, surely this lady knows her own ancestory?. Will start a new thread as would be interested to hear other opinions.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
None of that is true according to the book, surely this lady knows her own ancestory?. Will start a new thread as would be interested to hear other opinions.

I was about to bring home the book: "Autumn of Fury: Assination of Sadat".
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0394531361/qid=1124153379/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-7821333-4848768?v=glance&n=507846

I was scanning in the reference section of the Wilson library and didn't get time to check it out. But I have read it before, its just time to read it again. I love Muhammad Hasanayn Haykal books.

If you dogpile.com Jahan's name you'll see she only shoots off her mouth for thousands of dollars a speaking engagment.

Don't get me wrong Sadat is from a small village outside Shebin El-Kaum. But if you look at the actual life of Sadat for what it is and all the literature he had published about him Sadat was full of himself. And so is his wife!

I mean take a look a the fact that as soon as Jahan was widowed she left Egypt. And for good reason. Most Misryans besides the elite didn't like Sadat and really resented Jahan.

Muhammad Hasanayn Haykal is far more credible of a expert journalist than anybody attached to Sadat!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com