EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » AIDS Testing in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS Testing in Egypt
blue_crush
Member # 8655

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for blue_crush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!
As a western female who has been interested in egyptian culture and attracted to egyptian men for a few years now, I thought this information may be helpful to some of you. I remember when I was involved in an online relationship with an egyptian man and asking him about getting an AIDS test for himself... before we were to have sexual relations. I explained that it is common knowledge and practice in the US to get yourself tested for HIV/AIDS if you are a sexually active person. He explained that he had no idea how to do this, and would feel embarrassed to even attempt it... although he admitted to sleeping with several 'thousand' women on the Hurghada tourism scene... usually, but not always limited to foriegn tourists (yes ladies, I said thousands! Ewwww!!) Since that time, I ended our online 'relationship' and I never did make that trip to meet him in Egypt (for obvious reasons, lol)...<Ohhh, I forgot, for you guys who have been around this site for the past few years, I speak of the 'boxer' Ramy, LOL!>
But anyways, here is some info that I found, just in case any of you ladies (or guys) had some of the same thoughts about wanting you or both you and your partner to be tested in Egypt... Also, all you local people in Egypt, feel free to post if you have any additional information about AIDS testing in Egypt, that might not be included in the following info that I found...

PEACE TO YOU ALL!
blue_crush

The following information from a UN AIDS related organization.
Note to non-Egyptians - please read the important note at the page bottom.

Currently the only place to (get an HIV test) is at a non-governmental organization called 'Refugees Egypt'. They have an HIV/AIDS programme which includes testing. They do not request any form of identification to take the test, so it is annonymous. In addition, they offer pre and post-test counselling which allows you to assess your risks and is definately recommended and required by international standards - counselling is not available at the central labs yet. 'Refugees Egypt' is located in the All Saints Cathedral in Zamalek. That is between the Marriot hotel and the British International School. The exact address is 5, LotfAllah Street, Zamalek. Tel: 7364836 / 7. You can just show up at 'Refugees Egypt' and ask for an HIV test. They will do it for you at a cost of LE 20. They will perform a test called 'rapid test' which will give you a result in 20 minutes. This is acceptable by international standards. It is better to go between 9am-3pm on a Saturday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday when Dr. Eman, the Health Director, is there, but you can go any other time if you don't care for her to be there.

Your other option is to do the HIV test in the Central Labs (al maamil al markazeya) of the Ministry of Heatlh. It is located across from the American University in Cairo. These labs are accurate in their results because they are the only facilities in Egypt that have access to certain tests. They conduct 3 tests in a row to confirm the results. However, if you go directly to the labs, you will be requested to provide details about your name, address, ID number, etc. and they do not offer counseling at all. The test will cost around LE30. While, this may scare many people, it is only as a matter of bureaucracy because even if you do test positive (in shaa Allah you won't), they only refer you to the National AIDS Programme for counselling. But if you would like to do this test anonymously, you can call the National AIDS Programme's HIV/AIDS Hotline and request that they make an exception for you, which I understand they do. The HIV/AIDS Hotline number: 3152802, 3152801.

Your third option would be to go to a private testing lab. They are numerous and you can find them almost anywhere in Cairo. They will perform the test for you annonymously. They might ask for a name, but you can give a fake one and they don't ask for any more information. The test there would cost around LE 80.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If the person going for the test is not Egyptian, it is recommended they do the test at 'Refugees Egypt' or at a private lab. It is not recommended that they do it at a governmental lab because Egyptian law stipulates (contrary to international guidelines) that an HIV-positivie person must be deported.

[This message has been edited by blue_crush (edited 16 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by blue_crush (edited 16 August 2005).]

Posts: 4 | From: United States | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent. Thanks Blue.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot Blue. Very informative.

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kafir4ever
Member # 8581

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kafir4ever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Muslim Face of AIDS: http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=18641
Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue_crush
Member # 8655

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue_crush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kafir4ever:
The Muslim Face of AIDS: http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=18641

Very good & interesting article!

Posts: 4 | From: United States | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue_crush
Member # 8655

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue_crush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[b]“Knowing is Beautiful”

Another great article!

maadimale
Member # 8690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maadimale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, the routine tests for detecting HIV infection are HIV antibody tests (ELISA & a confirmatory Western Blot). There is also a method for detecting the viral load directly. However, the virus often hides in various cells within the body and is not always easily detected (possibility of many false-negatives which is probably more dangerous than false-positives). I presume that this and the cost of directly detecting the virus makes the antibody methods the way to go.

Please bear in mind that a negative result in an HIV antibody test does NOT necessarily mean the person is HIV-negative. It simply means that there have been no antibodies detected. I believe that serum-conversion can take up to 6 months.

Posts: 2 | From: Maadi, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maadimale (Maadimale?!), thanks for th input. A very,very good remark.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com