EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The Articles junkie!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Articles junkie!!
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that I'm an article junkie!
I always believe that somewhere between covers of a book, a magazine, a newspaper or on internet I might find the radical change to my relationships, the inspiration to my career or the new latest must have look!

Needless to say I have always felt cheated, flicking through what seems to be the same churned out formats and must-miss articles!

I have rarely found answers to my questions in an article!

Is it only me? Does any of you suffer from this fearful article nightmare? Do you find answers in articles?

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually media today, in any corner of the globe must think through the repurcusions before they publish anything.

So basically most of what you read is BS, wait 20 years and then a tell all book will come out explaining every minute detail to titalate and sometime on a early Tuesday morning the actual 'expert' will come on PBS and do an interview explaining what actually happened in bland details.

You must read through the lines to see what has actually happened and wait a while for someone with the truth to actually come forward, usually in the most cowardly fashion urged on by the stewards of realism, Public Broadcast.

Long live Bill Moyer!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any culture or nation that claims to totally trust and believe their media is a bunch of brainwash, illiterate fools.

The more cynical, without being hacked on conspiracies, the more intelligent and wise the people.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 3491

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Any culture or nation that claims to totally trust and believe their media is a bunch of brainwash, illiterate fools.

The more cynical, without being hacked on conspiracies, the more intelligent and wise the people.

Sonomod, i emphatically agree with u!

Posts: 461 | From: Kelantan, Malaysia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 3491

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ngeg:
I have to admit that I'm an article junkie!
I always believe that somewhere between covers of a book, a magazine, a newspaper or on internet I might find the radical change to my relationships, the inspiration to my career or the new latest must have look!
Is it only me? Does any of you suffer from this fearful article nightmare? Do you find answers in articles?

Are u kiddin? Until recently, iv'e tended to live my whole life, believin the solution to my next problem is hidden somewhere in the pages of the next book or mag LOL And might even be in code or double speak...How pathetic is that???

Posts: 461 | From: Kelantan, Malaysia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i think all of us women have been at some point or another victims to that crap. i remember when i was a teenager i used to read YM, cosmopolitan, and glamour, and leaf through them thinking that they will provide me with all the magical answers i need! mind you, you really can get brainwashed! i can't tell you how many times i've tried those "fit in a month" workouts, or cut my hair that "sexy cut.," or applied the rules to "how to be a social butterfly" but in my early 20's i just realised that this is just one big hoax. i don't know if i'm going off topic here or not, but those mags can really make a woman loose her confidence. its like no matter what you do, you are not good enough, beautiful enough, fit engough, or likable enough. i really believe that the media is the prime cause for the increase of anorexia and bullimia.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
i really believe that the media is the prime cause for the increase of anorexia and bullimia.

yessssssssss...I lost 35 kg when I was 17!!!! It depresses me everytime I think how rejected I was as a teenager for being over weight bcz of all the media crap!!! Oh dear..I read my dictionaries, lost weight and the next thing I know I'm the SOCIAL BUTTERFLY

I definitely agree, and the most drastic effects are on teenagers!

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Actually I was refering to News media "current events".

I never really took the woman rags seriously, all the products and clothes would forever be out of my price range and I never intended to put that much work into my appearance. Spend too much time on that, you look overdone and shows how little you believe in yourself.

Still to this day my reading is MotherJones, Economist, and online smaller publications.

I don't care for much beyond politics.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yessssssssss...I lost 35 kg when I was 17!!!! It depresses me everytime I think how rejected I was as a teenager for being over weight bcz of all the media crap!!! Oh dear..I read my dictionaries, lost weight and the next thing I know I'm the SOCIAL BUTTERFLY

oh my 35 kilos! thats a lot of weight to loose for a 17 year old! i'm glad you are over it now elhamdulelah. those mags can really get to you.
sonomod good for you for reading those mags. it took me a while to realise how stupid those fashion magazines are. in the past five years, i've been reading much more interesting stuff.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hassan.Reda
Member # 8633

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hassan.Reda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by someone_lost (edited 20 August 2005).]

Posts: 354 | From: cairo,cairo,egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hassan.Reda
Member # 8633

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hassan.Reda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Really who ever going to marry you is very lucky

Posts: 354 | From: cairo,cairo,egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I stopped reading any norwegian newspaper for a long time ago!
The headlines that you see are mostly these:
"Strawberry can kill you", "Hot dog is the nations fave food", oh and just some days ago this was the headline "Norway is going SMS-Mania!" Can you understand why I boycott them!

You know I hate fashion magazines too. But theres one whom I tend to buy every month. and its INSTYLE, Soo many great clothes, and so many tips how to get more organized,how to clean you silk sweater without ruining it, how to keep your eight year old shoes still look bright new, which actually works! and the clothes there. GORGEOUS!

[This message has been edited by Serendipity (edited 20 August 2005).]

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com