EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Katrina's other victims....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Katrina's other victims....
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy torn from his dog creates outpouring of help
By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer
September 6, 2005 0906AP-KATRINA-SNOWB

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Among the thousands of crushing moments from last week's deadly hurricane, one image brought the anguish home to many: a tearful little boy torn from his dog while being shuttled to safety.

It tugged at the heartstrings, prompting an outpouring from around the country of people on the hunt for both the boy and his dog Snowball in hopes of a reunion.

They've been scouring shelters, posting notes on the Internet and making phone calls to track them down. One woman set up a Web site to help people pair up pets with their owners. Another set up a reward to encourage someone to come forward with information on Snowball's or the boy's whereabouts.

"Everyone wants to know about Snowball,'' said Laura Maloney, executive director of the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Bill HaberAssociated PressThe boy was among the thousands sheltered at the Superdome after the hurricane. But when he went to board a bus to be evacuated to Houston, a police officer took the dog away. The boy cried out - "Snowball! Snowball!'' - then vomited in distress. The confrontation was first reported by The Associated Press. Authorities say they don't know where the boy or his family ended up.

It was almost too much for Jean Jones to bear.

The 56-year-old woman from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., runs puppymillrescue.com and launched another site, katrinafoundpets.com, to help pair Snowball and other lost pets with their owners. She also started a reward fund - which hit $1,775 as of Monday - hoping money might persuade people to help out.

A lost dog's friendLaura SkeldingAssociated PressBillie Sue Bruce, a 65-year-old retired teacher in Jonesville, Va., was the first to donate, giving $500. "The child has been through so much already,'' she said. "Then to just add to this emotional state is unforgivable.''

Late Monday, there was a ray of hope. The United Animal Nations said Snowball was safe, citing news from the state veterinarian's office. However, the information could not be immediately verified. To complicate matters further, the group called Snowball a terrier mix, while others consider the dog a bichon frise.

Dogs sit outsideChris HondrosGetty ImagesIf the boy and his dog are indeed safe, they have beaten long odds.

Many of the animals - dogs, cats, ferrets and birds - that police collected at the Superdome were herded into a stairwell until the human evacuation was complete. Of the 50 animals rescued from the Superdome on Sunday, not all of them survived.

In Texas, refugees unable to care for their dogs and cats are handing them over to animal shelters already crowded with animals evacuated before the hurricane.

Dogs on car roofEric GayAssociated PressAt the Humane Society of North Texas in Fort Worth on Monday, Antoinette Simmons and Wilson Clark dropped off their 7-year-old shi tzu. Staying in a Fort Worth hotel, the couple is unsure when they will be able to take Princess back home.

More than 600 displaced pets remain in Houston. Hundreds more fill kennels and cages in Dallas and around the state. Shelters try to arrange foster homes for pets, and many families have volunteered.

"I've been doing this type of work for 26 years and I've never seen this type of outpouring,'' said SPCA of Texas president James Bias, who shuttled 30 cats in his van from Houston to Dallas last week.

Dog in 9th ward homeDave MartinAssociated PressIn Mississippi, many pets were either left to fend for themselves in the powerful winds or trapped in flooding cages as owners fled. Others survived, only to die after days without food and water.

Seventeen dogs and six cats died at the Humane Society of South Mississippi shelter in Gulfport. About 125 survived, many of them dog-paddling for hours until the mix of mud and sewage receded.

The national Humane Society chapter came in Friday and retrieved the survivors, trucking them to shelters further north, said Julie Parks, the assistant director of the Gulfport facility.

Residents leave with their petsRick BowmerAssociated Press"We had dogs that swam the entire time in 4 feet of water and survived,'' said Parks. "Even cats were in about 8 to 9 inches of water in the upper cages and they swam and survived, too. Just like everybody else, they're survivors.''

Reuniting Snowball and his owner will require work, patience and luck.

Volunteers planned to make visits to shelters in the Houston area looking for the dog's owners. They were considering walking around carrying signs with Snowball's photo.

Survivor and pet in Knoxville, Tenn.J. Miles CaryAssociated Press"I don't know how hopeful I am,'' Jones said. "They probably don't know anything about this - that there's a reward out there and we're trying to look for them.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

Associated Press writers Paul J. Weber in Dallas and Brian Skoloff in Waveland, Miss., contributed to this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pet Finder: http://www.petfinder.com

Pet site: http://katrinafoundpets.com

Humane Society of the United States: http://www.hsus.org

Noah's Wish (rescue group): http://www.noahswish.org (PROFILE (COUNTRY:United States; ISOCOUNTRY3:USA; UNTOP:021; APGROUP:NorthAmerica
http://www.startribune.com/stories/125/5598471.html

I know this means nothing to most egy-board members, but to me this is very painful. Westerners are often very attached to their animal companions. And I know in other western nations the pull to help animals would not be as strong. Yet, as Americans this shows how strongly as a collective people we manage to pull together to help each other out.

I understand this seems like a waste to many non-westerners, but this is the human side of Americans whether you recognize that we are human or not.
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/083105katrinadogs/im:/050905/480/txdp10109052136;_ylt=Ajv4cBUGM6tRlmvdazhGwTxsaMYA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGcyMWMzBHNlYwNzc25hdg--?sp=-1&lsp=6000

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 06 September 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of us read it on yahoo and we don't need it reposted here.

I personally find this sick. People are dying but the story that "tugs" americans is a little boy yelling for his "snowball."

Qeue in the the soft theme background music here.

Bet some idiot in LA is already working on getting the movie rights for the after-school special movie of the week.

What about the thousands of dogs that get abandoned by their loving owners on a regular basis EVERY SINGLE DAMN day across the US of A?

What about the 4,000 strays picked up off the street and 5,000 dogs left at the doorsteps of New Orleans Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter in 2004 alone? 12/23/2004 -- The Times Picayune

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

I personally find this sick. People are dying but the story that "tugs" americans is a little boy yelling for his "snowball."

Bet some idiot in LA is already working on getting the movie rights for the after-school special movie of the week.

What about the thousands of dogs that get abandoned by their loving owners on a regular basis EVERY SINGLE DAMN day across the US of A?

What about the 4,000 strays picked up off the street and 5,000 dogs left at the doorsteps of New Orleans Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter in 2004 alone? 12/23/2004 -- The Times Picayune

I can always rely on you to be vindictive and as heartless as anyone with an American passport can be.

I am so relieved that you weren't born here. You don't deserve to be.

God works miracles.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you missed the point sonomod. but then i can always count on you doing that.

i think it's hypocritical to proclaim such passion for pets yet kill them on such a grand scale on an every day basis.

it's also sad how the media focuses on a hollywood angle to get ratings instead of reporting facts.

PS - as someone who posts continous hateful crap about egyptian people on an egyptian board but is married to an egyptian and plans to live in egypt, better watch where you throw those stones.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 06 September 2005).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't understand your anger. ?

The irresponsible people who abandon their dogs and cats every day are not the same people racked with grief over losing their pets in Katrina. I don't understand what one has to do with the other. I'm not trying to be flippant here, I just don't get it.

I've been a volunteer with a pet rescue organization for 6 years now. I know the types who give up their pets, who abuse them and neglect them.

This is not the same thing.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Its a great point Sonomod. Thank you, and to the sourpuss, may my doggie bite your scrotum.

Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I do understand Expats anger. over 30,000 HUMAN BEINGS still left sitting on the streets of New Orleans without food water or shelter, and this much effort is being spent on a goddamn dog for crying out loud. Excuse my french, but you can't imagine my rage when I think about my freaking country and how an animals life is more valueable than the life of a poor black person.

All efforts should be spent on saving HUMAN lives first, then focus on pet rescues. I can't help but become enraged over the site of a boat set up to find animals when humans are still stuck in goddamn hospitals!

Again, excuse my french

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am very thankful that they are indeed people out there who care for animals, whether they donate money, food etc. or trying to advocate others on pet related issues, work in animal shelters, pounds or with a pet rescue organization. Please note that most of these people have an immense passion for animals and work on voluntary base.

I agree with Snoozin here that these people who had to leave their pets behind after the hurricane didn't abandon them. Infact people were rescued and their dogs and cats had to stay behind in the flooded house on the roof or whatever if they survived the catastrophy.

These animals are getting rescued now after a week later, some of them in horrible condition. Show mercy with these little creatures who don't ask for much and who depend on us to take care of them - the human being.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

I am very thankful that they are indeed people out there who care for animals, whether they donate money, food etc. or trying to advocate others on pet related issues, work in animal shelters, pounds or with a pet rescue organization. Please note that most of these people have an immense passion for animals and work on voluntary base.

I agree with Snoozin here that these people who had to leave their pets behind after the hurricane didn't abandon them. Infact people were rescued and their dogs and cats had to stay behind in the flooded house on the roof or whatever if they survived the catastrophy.

These animals are getting rescued now after a week later, some of them in horrible condition. Show mercy with these little creatures who don't ask for much and who depend on us to take care of them - the human being.

They will get my mercy when I am assured that every single HUMAN BEING has been rescued first. I'm sorry I can't show mercy for some dog named snowball when senior citizen and children are dying on the streets without medication, water or food. Sorry if I had to choose if snowball or Mrs. Jane Doe will go on this boat, it will be Jane Doe first, it's that simple.

Let me ask you a question, if you own a pet and have children, and your home caught on fire, would you try to save your children first or what? Of course you would.

While I have owned pets, don't misunderstand me, but I can't picture how these pets are being rescued so long as there are still human beings abandoned. But like I said, some people value animals over human lives, it's pathetic.

[This message has been edited by Habiba1 (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my house would be on fire I'd grab my kids and call for my dog (I have both). Without a doubt I would try to rescue anyone alive out of this hell.

Now I do understand that Egyptians have a totally different relationship when it comes to pets, how to value or handle them. Pets in Egypt get mostly treated miserably, get kicked around because people believe they are useless and dirty creatures on this earth.

And in Katrina's case people are getting rescued, finally the animals too. It doesn't mean that anyone puts animal life before a human life as you would like to interpret it. But people try to look after different aspects and helping anyone in need. I can't imagine that a boat from a pet rescue would come up to a house, rescue the dog and tells the desperate woman inside "sorry, mam, but we can't help you. We are just here to get your pet."

If you are in school you don't get only math teached, do you? How terrible would this be. You have lessons in biology, sciences, literature, etc. You receive extensive education in various fields.

Again, pet rescuers don't put animals first but mainly their mission is to help animals in need. I fully appreciate their enourmous efforts.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Corvinous (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Now I do understand that Egyptians have a totally different relationship when it comes to pets, how to value or handle them. Pets in Egypt get mostly treated miserably, get kicked around because people believe they are useless and dirty creatures on this earth.

why do you have to drag egyptians in to this? all the people who posted on this thread were americans.

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If my house would be on fire I'd grab my kids and call for my dog (I have both). Without a doubt I would try to rescue anyone alive out of this hell.

And in Katrina's case people are getting rescued, finally the animals too. It doesn't mean that anyone puts animal life before a human life as you would like to interpret it. But people try to look after different aspects and helping anyone in need. I can't imagine that a boat from a pet rescue would come up to a house, rescue the dog and tells the desperate woman inside "sorry, mam, but we can't help you. We are just here to get your pet."

If you are in school you don't get only math teached, do you? How terrible would this be. You have lessons in biology, sciences, literature, etc. You receive extensive education in various fields.

Again, pet rescuers don't put animals first but mainly their mission is to help animals in need. I fully appreciate their enourmous efforts.

Tigerlilly I don't know what closed in world you live in, but there are still people stuck in homes, hospitals, and on the streets of New Orleans waiting to be transported as I type this message!

I mean for crying out loud, grabbing a dog and leaving the woman, are you kidding? You don't honestly think this is what I was suggesting do you?

Read the news report again. People are offering REWARDS for this lost dog, making internet sites, etc., etc, while there are still people sitting on the streets who have yet to be picked up. The boy doesn't even know where his family is, and they are trying to reunite him with a dog before his family? So people should sit there like some stray animals while all this out pouring over a freaking dog? Please spare me the emotions, save the humans first, then the animals, I dont give a damn what's your specialty. You're still human, and you would want the same done for you.

I am not Egyptian, I am an American who has owned and love pets, read what I say. But I love humans more, and if you don't get that, then you never will, and I'm done wasting my time.

Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a makeshift grave on the streets of New Orleans lies the body of Vera Smith. She was an ordinary woman who, like thousands of her neighbours, died because she was poor. Abandoned to her fate as the waters rose around her, Vera's tragedy symbolises the great divide in America today

However Vera Smith may have lived her life, one thing was certain. In death, she had no dignity. Killed in the chaotic aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, her body lay under a tarpaulin at the junction of Magazine Street and Jackson Avenue for five full days. Not her friends, her grieving husband, not her neighbours could persuade the authorities to take her corpse away.

Finally, disgusted by the way she had been abandoned - and concerned, too, about the health implications of advancing decomposition - her friends buried her in a makeshift grave
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article310554.ece

This is the reality for some people while others are making websites about saving dogs!!!!

hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hassancheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Habiba I understand your frustration. We are also horrified at how our goverment responded to this disaster. I was floored when I learned the FEMA ,Federal Emergency Management Agency, has pooled all of their resources into "fighting terrorism" rather than preparing for disasters like this. While in a matter of hours the senate can approve a billion dollar bill to go to war with Iraq, then take 5 days to approve a few million for something of this magnitude. In those 5 days, thousands of lives hang in limbo, it really is sad.
Posts: 358 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

My anger is over the fact that both the dog and the boy ARE OK. The outcry was because a policeman separated the dog from the boy when he was being bussed out of the the dome.

This isn't about rescuing stranded pets. This is about the fact they were s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e-d.

People, there are 6 year olds taking care of babies and other toddlers for days and separated from their parents.

And the nation's 'heartstrings' were tugged over snowball.

Are we so numb to seeing humans destroy each other that we can't feel compassion for fellow human beings in a disaster anymore?

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ExptinCAI and Habiba,
It is one story out of thousands. It's not to say america only has heart when it comes to animals!! That is ignorant! There are thousands of volunteers across America helping people in Louisana and Mississippi, that doesn't include Red Cross and Salvation Army. Of course the primary focus is human life!! Do you realize that in a natural disaster they strive to save 60% of the people........did you know that we have saved 80% of the people in this one? So try to state you point by reading something other than one article you've read on ES. In conclusion, I'm thankful for the people rescuing the pets.

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hassancheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KeepinItReal:
ExptinCAI and Habiba,
It is one story out of thousands. It's not to say america only has heart when it comes to animals!! That is ignorant! There are thousands of volunteers across America helping people in Louisana and Mississippi, that doesn't include Red Cross and Salvation Army. Of course the primary focus is human life!! Do you realize that in a natural disaster they strive to save 60% of the people........did you know that we have saved 80% of the people in this one? So try to state you point by reading something other than one article you've read on ES. In conclusion, I'm thankful for the people rescuing the pets.

I have read many of those thousands of articles, and you are putting words in Habiba and Expticai's mouths, where did you read either of them stating "America only has heart when it comes to animals".

I think they both said we should make sure all humans are safe "first" then worry about the animals. I think they went the extra yard to post how humans are literally dying on the streets.

As Expticai said we have millions of animals in shelters across the country being put to sleep, if they are so concerned about them, why don't they go adopt one from an animal shelter. Most of it is just media hypocrisy as usual, some journalist trying to make his story stand out from the rest, by sensationalizing this tragedy.

Thousands of articles reveal the same thing, that many people have been abandoned by officials for at least 5 days. And of those thousands, this is the one our "dearest Sonomod" decided to post here on ES???

This is what their anger is about. I picked it up, why is so hard for the rest of you?

Posts: 358 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
Let's try some logic here for a second, lets say one man rescues 5 stray children, and another rescues 5 stay dogs, and the both post photos of their rescues on a website, do you believe that someone looking at this website could actually identify "their" white labrador retriever over thousands more?

More than likely these animals will just sit in these shelters until they die or someone comes to adopt one. Our resources can be better spent reuniting families, given how limited they are in this tragedy.

I care about animals, but I already see what their destiny is, as the more well do aspects of society who had the resources to leave before the tragedy hit, took their pets and valueable items with them. I'm sure they didnt jump into the SUV and leave Spot to fiend for himself. Any animals left were 9 times out 10 strays anyway. They are all over the streets of America if any of you passionate animal lovers would like to go pick one up!

hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
I think I just got angry too!

I just visited this website Sonomod posted
http://katrinafoundpets.com/snowball_fund.htm

They are offering a $2000 reward to find snowball while we have thousands of homeless people after this tragedy. This is taking it a little too far.

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I never stated that ExptinCAI and Habiba said "america only has heart when it comes to animals." That was my line! I was making my point that it goes further than that. It's up to the American people where they put their money, they earned it. So hear me out....YES, I believe humans should be rescued FIRST, then animals. I want to make that clear. You're looking at a small minority group that is rescuing these animals so it's not even on the same scale for comparison. Sonomod was showing a different side of the devestation as to look at all life that is effected. If you didn't read this article already defensive because of who posted it you would have understood that. It's to say we feel for those who survived but lost their pet. It's that simple. You've contorted it into something it's not.
Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

KeepitReal -

I cited animal rescue centers and pointed out over 5,000 unwanted animals were DROPPED OFF BY THEIR CARING OWNERS in the exact same city we're discussing.

I don't know why it's so difficult to grasp why I find this type of media story (did you get that? MEDIA) sickens me.

Did you notice the reference to hollywood movies?

Did you notice the sarcasm?

Me being upset would not just include the big hype over a lost dog (read, NO LIFE LOSS, 'nuff of that death stuff everybody, just a 'tug at your heart story about a boy and his dog. never mind that he's frantic about his dog because his parents are also not around.)....

...it would include stuff like how come every news channels is spotlighting New Orleans like it's been the biggest loss of life in the last ...oh, let's be generous here, year.

How come Niger's famine got a few articles, a byline or two even though an impending FAMINE was predicted for half a year? (not an exciting news story, where's the 'tug at your heart angle, they strategized in the newsroom)

How come UN's 2005 Human Development Report points out that:

" Despite increasing global prosperity, more than 1 billion people still survive on less than $1 a day; 10.7 million children die before their fifth birthday; and 115 million children are not in school, the report said.

HIV/AIDS has inflicted the single greatest reversal in human development, claiming 3 million lives in 2003 with another 5 million left infected. South Africa, which has more people living with HIV than any other country, has dropped 35 places on the development index since 1990.

Life expectancy in Botswana has dropped 20 years since the 1970s to just 36. A person living in Zambia has less chance of reaching 30 than one born in England at the dawn of the industrial revolution in 1840.

In many instances, the gap between rich and poor also is widening..... One-fifth of humanity live in countries where people can spend $2 on a cappuccino. Another fifth survive on less than $1 a day."

Because it's not a good story. That's why.

hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
It's up to the American people where they put their money, they earned it.

With a self-centered statement like this, I sure hope you never find yourself in the same predicament! It's always easy to sit in front of our house on the hills and look down on those beneath them, thinking we are somehow exempt from tragedies. How would you feel "keeping it real" if you've lost your home, job, family members and everything in an instant, and some American decided that you are not worth spending "their hard earned money on". People like you are the problem with this country now, self-centeredness, and each man for himself.

So hear me out....YES, I believe humans should be rescued FIRST, then animals. I want to make that clear..

Well, well, if that's the case, then you are only "repeating" what they said, use your scroll up button!

Personally I could care less if Sonomod or Santa Claus posted the thread, don't dare make assumptions about me, when you don't know what you're talking about!

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a question of either care about the humans *or* care about the animals. I certainly believe the human heart is capable of caring for both.

quote:
Originally posted by Habiba1:
They will get my mercy when I am assured that every single HUMAN BEING has been rescued first. I'm sorry I can't show mercy for some dog named snowball when senior citizen and children are dying on the streets without medication, water or food. Sorry if I had to choose if snowball or Mrs. Jane Doe will go on this boat, it will be Jane Doe first, it's that simple.

Let me ask you a question, if you own a pet and have children, and your home caught on fire, would you try to save your children first or what? Of course you would.

While I have owned pets, don't misunderstand me, but I can't picture how these pets are being rescued so long as there are still human beings abandoned. But like I said, some people value animals over human lives, it's pathetic.

[This message has been edited by Habiba1 (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Here we go again. My only point was showing that I feel for those who lost their pets. I wasn't going into the media angle of it but I see your point. Now, they're saying the biggest loss of life in US history from a natural diaster(not the world)!! So yes it is a historical topic for american history and should be the focal point in our news(not saying internationally). Yes there should be more of a spotlight on the famine in Africa. You've opened a can worms there. I agree, but it goes farther than just the media, who controls it? You want to talk about Africa then I'm all for it. That is my lifes mission. I've lived and worked there. Even the pictures you see on the news are mild compared to being there. So if we're going to talk about the media, then lets talk about censorship also.
hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
quote:
KeepitReal -

I cited animal rescue centers and pointed out over 5,000 unwanted animals were DROPPED OFF BY THEIR CARING OWNERS in the exact same city we're discussing.

I don't know why it's so difficult to grasp why I find this type of media story (did you get that? MEDIA) sickens me.

Did you notice the reference to hollywood movies?

Did you notice the sarcasm?

Me being upset would not just include the big hype over a lost dog (read, NO LIFE LOSS, 'nuff of that death stuff everybody, just a 'tug at your heart story about a boy and his dog. never mind that he's frantic about his dog because his parents are also not around.)....

...it would include stuff like how come every news channels is spotlighting New Orleans like it's been the biggest loss of life in the last ...oh, let's be generous here, year.

How come Niger's famine got a few articles, a byline or two even though an impending FAMINE was predicted for half a year? (not an exciting news story, where's the 'tug at your heart angle, they strategized in the newsroom)

How come UN's 2005 Human Development Report points out that:

" Despite increasing global prosperity, more than 1 billion people still survive on less than $1 a day; 10.7 million children die before their fifth birthday; and 115 million children are not in school, the report said.

HIV/AIDS has inflicted the single greatest reversal in human development, claiming 3 million lives in 2003 with another 5 million left infected. South Africa, which has more people living with HIV than any other country, has dropped 35 places on the development index since 1990.

Life expectancy in Botswana has dropped 20 years since the 1970s to just 36. A person living in Zambia has less chance of reaching 30 than one born in England at the dawn of the industrial revolution in 1840.

In many instances, the gap between rich and poor also is widening..... One-fifth of humanity live in countries where people can spend $2 on a cappuccino. Another fifth survive on less than $1 a day."

Because it's not a good story. That's why.

ExptinCAI, I totally got what you were saying. I know first hand about our media hypocrisy. The very same media that put up the face of an Arab terrorists so much, that people began to think all arabs are terrorist.

The same hypocritical media, in this tragedy showed an image of a black couple leaving a store with some food items, and said they were "looting", and a showed a white couple doing the exact same thing and said they were "finding" food. No one needs to explain to me how the American media affects your psyche using catch phrases like "one image out of thousands brought the anguish home to many", you mean the anguish wasn't "brought home" when you saw people dying on the streets with no food or water, it took a boy separated from his dog to "tug at the heatrstrings". Don't get me started on media hypocrisy!

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by hassancheb:
[b] It's up to the American people where they put their money, they earned it.

With a self-centered statement like this, I sure hope you never find yourself in the same predicament! It's always easy to sit in front of our house on the hills and look down on those beneath them, thinking we are somehow exempt from tragedies. How would you feel "keeping it real" if you've lost your home, job, family members and everything in an instant, and some American decided that you are not worth spending "their hard earned money on". People like you are the problem with this country now, self-centeredness, and each man for himself.

So hear me out....YES, I believe humans should be rescued FIRST, then animals. I want to make that clear..

Well, well, if that's the case, then you are only "repeating" what they said, use your scroll up button!

Personally I could care less if Sonomod or Santa Claus posted the thread, don't dare make assumptions about me, when you don't know what you're talking about!

[/B]

Hassencheb,
I think you just want to argue. You raise no point of your own except to pick apart mine. It is not self centered to say people will do with their money as they wish. People have that right to put their money into whatever cause. That is their right. If it's all for the greater good, why does it matter. That was my point.

Now, yes others stated the same opinion as my own. It is MY opinion and I agreed with others. I can say the same about you, so you scroll up.

The only assumption I can make of you is what you have presented to me. If you want show me different, then come up with your own opinion other than picking apart mine. I respect ExpectinCAI because he/she brings up points and original opinions and backs them up. I can't say the same for you.

hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
This isn't a question of either care about the humans *or* care about the animals. I certainly believe the human heart is capable of caring for both.

This is not the time to try to sound "politically correct", of course we are capable of caring for both, when we have the "resources", on a limited supply of water and food, I don't think I want to envision an image of water being given to some animals, when thousands of human beings are dying from dehydration. Why can't you people get the message, save the humans "first", absorb it. Not one single person arguing against this said they don't care about animals, it's about priorities. Stray dog or a stray child, make your choice, because it's NOT enough water for both!

hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
quote:
Hassencheb,
I think you just want to argue. You raise no point of your own except to pick apart mine. It is not self centered to say people will do with their money as they wish. People have that right to put their money into whatever cause. That is their right. If it's all for the greater good, why does it matter. That was my point.

Now, yes others stated the same opinion as my own. It is MY opinion and I agreed with others. I can say the same about you, so you scroll up.

The only assumption I can make of you is what you have presented to me. If you want show me different, then come up with your own opinion other than picking apart mine. I respect ExpectinCAI because he/she brings up points and original opinions and backs them up. I can't say the same for you.

Don't flatter yourself "keeping it real", I've responded before you even posted, and made several points, as you chose to ignore them, it's not my position to reiterate them for you! I didn't post on this thread just to "tear apart your statements", I did comment on media hypocrisy, human needs over animals, failure of our govermnet to respond in a timely manner, but just like the self-centered person you've shown, you chose to make this all about hassancheb picking you you! Give me a break will you!

It's not about arguing I just feel very passionate about this tragedy, so you're seeing me in an "extreme" emotional state right now.

Furthermore its not about agreeing and disagreeing with anyone for the sake of argument, I hold my own positions, there have been times that I have disagreed with ExptinCAI and agreed with Tigerlilly, those with enough conviction, don't take these disagreements personally. You stoop low and try to highlight an ongoing feud I have with Sonomod by suggesting I disagreed only because she posted, shows me how immature you are when it comes to debating.

[This message has been edited by hassancheb (edited 07 September 2005).]

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
quote:
This is not the time to try to sound "politically correct", of course we are capable of caring for both, when we have the "resources", on a limited supply of water and food, I don't think I want to envision an image of water being given to some animals, when thousands of human beings are dying from dehydration. Why can't you people get the message, save the humans "first", absorb it. Not one single person arguing against this said they don't care about animals, it's about priorities. Stray dog or a stray child, make your choice, because it's NOT enough water for both!

That's wasn't her point. She is not saying put the animal in front of human life. Why can't you get that!

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
quote:
Don't flatter yourself "keeping it real", I've responded before you even posted, and made several points, as you chose to ignore them, it's not my position to reiterate them for you! I didn't post on this thread just to "tear apart your statements", I did comment on media hypocrisy, human needs over animals, failure of our govermnet to respond in a timely manner, but just like the self-centered person you've shown, you chose to make this all about hassancheb picking you you! Give me a break will you!

It's not about arguing I just feel very passionate about this tragedy, so you're seeing me in an "extreme" emotional state right now.

I think we're all in an emotional state right now. I agree with the media hypocrisy. I was just reiterating my point that human life comes first, then animals. I do believe the people who are rescuing the pets have a purpose. I also am looking at the angle of thousands of more dead carcasses of animals floating in the water too, including livestock.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
Here we go again. My only point was showing that I feel for those who lost their pets. I wasn't going into the media angle of it but I see your point. Now, they're saying the biggest loss of life in US history from a natural diaster(not the world)!! So yes it is a historical topic for american history and should be the focal point in our news(not saying internationally). Yes there should be more of a spotlight on the famine in Africa. You've opened a can worms there. I agree, but it goes farther than just the media, who controls it? You want to talk about Africa then I'm all for it. That is my lifes mission. I've lived and worked there. Even the pictures you see on the news are mild compared to being there. So if we're going to talk about the media, then lets talk about censorship also.

That's great K-I-R. (sorry, lazy americana when it comes to typing).

I for one would love to hear about your personal experiences in Africa and would really appreciate if you shared your stories on a public forum like this. I'm all ears.

(And for the record I'm one of those crazy expats who donates to spare in cairo.)

daria1975
Member # 6244

I'm not talking about the *actual* help and aid and rescue efforts going on. My response was directed at a post that seemed to say a there was no room in a person's heart for empathy toward animals until each and every human had been rescued.

I never said a thing about actual rescue and who takes precedence in that regard.

quote:

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
(And for the record I'm one of those crazy expats who donates to spare in cairo.)

Cool!

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
I'm not talking about the *actual* help and aid and rescue efforts going on. My response was directed at a post that seemed to say a there was no room in a person's heart for empathy toward animals until each and every human had been rescued.

I never said a thing about actual rescue and who takes precedence in that regard.

Wow, snoozin. did you read the post? and i mean, the actual, quote for quote post?

let me refresh it here and i quote:

"Among the <b>thousands of crushing moments from last week's deadly hurricane, one image brought the anguish home to many: a tearful little boy torn from his dog while being shuttled to safety.
It tugged at the heartstrings, prompting an outpouring from around the country of people on the hunt for both the boy and his dog Snowball in hopes of a reunion.</b>

Note: not saving of life. not human vs animal. at a 'reunion'. boy with dog. screw boy with his parents, we're talkin' a tear jerking moment caught on camera of boy-and-his-dog a la lassie.

equals (for the media?) priceless.

Did you notice the other quote from the guy who's been rescuing animals for the odd 20+ years when he's quoted he's never seen this kind of a response from the public before?

Do ya THINK it has anything to do with the fact that thousands of animals get disposed of at govt/state supported facilities every single year by well-meaning, honest-to-goodness americans who just can't possibly take care of their "loved" pets anymore?

Er, including the 5,000 dogs and cats New Orleans' owners threw out just last year?

YA THINK?

daria1975
Member # 6244

I'm confused. Which post are you talking about? The original one by Sonomod? That's not the one I was referring to....

quote:
Wow, snoozin. did you read the post? and i mean, the actual, quote for quote post?

let me refresh it here and i quote:

"Among the <b>thousands of crushing moments from last week's deadly hurricane, one image brought the anguish home to many: a tearful little boy torn from his dog while being shuttled to safety.
It tugged at the heartstrings, prompting an outpouring from around the country of people on the hunt for both the boy and his dog Snowball in hopes of a reunion.</b>

Note: not saving of life. not human vs animal. at a 'reunion'. boy with dog. screw boy with his parents, we're talkin' a tear jerking moment caught on camera of boy-and-his-dog a la lassie.

equals (for the media?) priceless.

Did you notice the other quote from the guy who's been rescuing animals for the odd 20+ years when he's quoted he's never seen this kind of a response from the public before?

Do ya THINK it has anything to do with the fact that thousands of animals get disposed of at govt/state supported facilities every single year by well-meaning, honest-to-goodness americans who just can't possibly take care of their "loved" pets anymore?

Er, including the 5,000 dogs and cats New Orleans' owners threw out just last year?

YA THINK?

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Yes S. I'm writing about the post quoted in this topic. The actual news item that's plasterered everywhere on the internet.

The item that got me so upset.

I'm not writing about how other individuals chose to interpret my anger or frustration.

Nowhere in the original post is there mention of human vs animal life.

In fact, life is not even an issue.

And frankly, is SHOULD be.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 07 September 2005).]

loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 volunteers from Pasado's Safe Haven, are on their way to New Orleans, to reunite the lost animals with their owners.

And then why did a doctor decided to stay behind to take care of 50 dogs, 15 cats, and 2 hamsters, caring for them in a deserted hospital? BECAUSE HE MADE A PROMISE TO THE ANIMAL OWNER'S. They were all airlifted out today.

Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Yes S. I'm writing about the post quoted in this topic. The actual news item that's plasterered everywhere on the internet.

The item that got me so upset.

I'm not writing about how other individuals chose to interpret my anger or frustration.

Nowhere in the original post is there mention of human vs animal life.

In fact, life is not even an issue.

And frankly, is SHOULD be.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 07 September 2005).]

OK. ? So I'm still not sure why you were responding to my post? But it really doesn't matter.....

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What is your point in getting up so heated during that topic? If you have your own view thats more than fine but don't accuse others of living in a small world and not getting the message. Which message, your message?

What is your whining all about? People are getting help, animals too. They finally receive it from different recources. So isn't that the best solution? Obviously not for everyone, your love for animals purely shines through.

And if you would follow the news better than you would realize that its even important to rescue the "strays" how you call them - which are infact no strays as they were tragically seperated during the hurricane from their owners, I'd prefer to call them "orphans". Pets described as strays are mostly animals who are intentionally abondoned by their unresponsible owners as its not that common that animals just run off from their homes.

Many dead bodies of human beings and animals contaminate the water alone in N.O. -the city now totally gets evicted because of health hazards. I believe people should try to help as much as they can on every end.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-03-katrinapetrescues_x.htm

I sincerely hope that anyone who's suffering from the Katrina disaster is getting the needed help and has a future. I do worry a lot about people who are sitting f. e. in the Astrodome. How long do they have to stay there, it must be a nightmare so many people in one place? Whats going to happen to them?

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 08 September 2005).]

Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
quote:

I said there is no mercy from ME, until humans are saved FIRST. I never suggested anything about what the human heart is capable or not capable of doing. I think some people just like hearing themselves talk. No need to switch my words around to make your point, I hate being misquoted. Isn't this entire thread about rescue and who takes precedence? Otherwise you responded to me for what?

Hassanchep you're right on point, thumbs up.

Tigerlilly people will be in the superdome for months and months, and surely none of those homeless people are in a position to care for a pet right now, and they are trying to survive themselves. So if the good samaritans like yourself want to care for these pets for them, then more power to you, as their lives have been turned upside down, and uniting with their families is their primary objective I'm sure, followed by bringing as much normalcy to their lives as possible, by finding homes, jobs, and all the things that have been lost.

I was proud to learn that the city of Dallas has promised 20,000 jobs to the victims, and many more cities across the country are doing the same. Unfortunately there are still around 10,000 people that have yet to leave New Orleans, and they are beginning to force some of them to leave. I think it will be a very long time before anyone can return to their lives there.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
I said there is no mercy from ME, until humans are saved FIRST. I never suggested anything about what the human heart is capable or not capable of doing. I think some people just like hearing themselves talk. No need to switch my words around to make your point, I hate being misquoted. Isn't this entire thread about rescue and who takes precedence? Otherwise you responded to me for what?

If I misquoted you, then I truly apologize.

But it does make me sad that you don't have mercy for animals, as well as humans. And I wasn't attempting to misquote you, even if I mistakenly did -- I was generalizing in my response to your specific statement about your having no mercy for animals.

I was generalizing because I didn't want it to seem like a personal attack on you (which is wasn't meant to be), and rather wanted to put it out there as a point for everyone to think about.

Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
quote:
If I misquoted you, then I truly apologize.

But it does make me sad that you don't have mercy for animals, as well as humans. And I wasn't attempting to misquote you, even if I mistakenly did -- I was generalizing in my response to your specific statement about your having no mercy for animals.

I was generalizing because I didn't want it to seem like a personal attack on you (which is wasn't meant to be), and rather wanted to put it out there as a point for everyone to think about.

Apology accepted

Honestly snoozin I love animals, I had 2 cocker spaniels, the first one strangled herself on her own collar, and it broke my heart.

The second one I had to get rid of when I moved to Egypt, and it hurt as well. So don't misunderstand me, It doesnt mean I don't like animals, I just see to many humans suffering for me to be distracted by a boy separated from his pet, as I feel like hassancheb, the author of this article intended to do. Believe me, my heartstrings were already pulled seeing all those babies.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Apology accepted

Honestly snoozin I love animals, I had 2 cocker spaniels, the first one strangled herself on her own collar, and it broke my heart.

The second one I had to get rid of when I moved to Egypt, and it hurt as well. So don't misunderstand me, It doesnt mean I don't like animals, I just see to many humans suffering for me to be distracted by a boy separated from his pet, as I feel like hassancheb, the author of this article intended to do. Believe me, my heartstrings were already pulled seeing all those babies.

Yes, I agree that the media are playing this for all it's worth.

I guess I just see the misery all over the place, humans and animals, and honestly it's not healthy for *me* to be watching all this stuff anyway. Most of it is much too difficult to bear.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com