EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » From my sisters' lips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From my sisters' lips
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the title of a book I've just finished reading. It's written by a South African living in London who says how a trip to Egypt changed her life forever. Actually this was what caught my attention when I was reading the review.

The Daily Telegraph described it as "thought provoking" and some other accolades that escapes me at the moment. Acclaim from the Telegraph, out of all newspapers, is testament to the book.

The book is about a woman who converted to Islam (or reverted as she prefers to put it), she tells her story and that of some of her fellow female converts/reverts (her sisters).

Not only did I find it thought provoking but also quite engaging and intimate, and sometimes even funny. You feel like the author is talking to you personally, in the bookstore it was actually under biography not religion.

I found it an absolutely fantastic book, I enjoyed reading it and feel that you will too, irrespective of whether you agree with the author's views or not.
It would make excellent reading in the long hours of Ramadan. I'm sure you should be able to find it on amazon.
Title: From my sisters' lips
Author: Na'ima Robert

Recommended by Ramses, lol

Here's an excerpt from the introduction

" Catching sight of a Muslim woman, covered from head to toe, on Western city streets rarely fails to provoke a strong reaction. Feelings of shock, horror, repulsion or pity are not uncommon, especially upon seeing this strangest of sights for the first time. Comments range from the patronising (“Poor woman, doesn’t she know she’s in England now, she doesn’t have to dress like that?”), the insulting (“It makes me sick to see them dressed like that!”) to the ridiculous (“I bet she looks like a dog under there!” or, the universal favourite, “NINJA!”)

Without doubt, the assumption is that this poor woman was forced by her husband or family to dress as she does, that she is an uneducated immigrant who probably speaks little or no English or that, steeped in ignorance, she has yet to experience the delights of Western freedoms. She is, in essence, desperate to be liberated.

Such is the common perception of this woman, who remains faceless, nameless and voiceless – a non-person.

But what if this woman had a name, what if she had a voice? What if she could tell you about herself, her history, her family, her thoughts and feelings? What if, by sharing herself with you, you grew to see beyond the exterior, beyond the veil, and see for yourself in what ways you are alike and in what ways you are different? "

Peace

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forgot to mention that the book addresses many of the issues raised here including converting to Islam, hijab/niqab, polygamy, etc
Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I find it in Diwan Bookshop in Egypt? sounds like a very interesting book

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes it sounds great [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a great book... I finished reading it a few weeks ago ... the experiences and feelings she describes are so accurate. Funny thing is it was Egypt that changed my life too.. good hasanat for the country [Smile]

I don't know if they have it in Diwan, but you can order it on Amazon so ask Diwan if they can order it for you.. save you having any problems receiving it.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'll check it out! ;0
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com