EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Snakes in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snakes in Egypt
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange question I know, but does anyone have good information about the types of venomous snakes that can be found in Egypt: Deserts mainly, but also mountains and agricultural areas.

So far I have; Burrowing asps, vipers, cobras, and black snakes.

I have googled the query and will keep checking, however if we have any bedouins on board [Big Grin] or other desert lovers I would appreciate a complete list.

Thanks

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A guy I met in the desert near Siwa, very experienced, told us to watch out for the "M" in the sand; which marks a place where a black mamba has hidden under the sand. It leaves the tip of its tail waving [to attract prey] and its head waits to pounce.Very very venomous, carries enough venom to kill a few people in one session.
Sounds AWFUL, but really rare I expect.Wear boots.
I've had one or two little snakes walking [?] into my house! Babies I think but very viper-ish to look at, don't know how dangerous they were, I had to scoop them in a dustpan and run like hell into the street.{popped them into a piece of waste ground -alive!!]

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jessie! The information you provide about the Black Mamba is actually very useful. I need to prepare a guide on snakes in the "Field" so being about to add that kind of detail will be great. The guys who will use it always wear heavy duty boots, so should be nothing to worry about there, well unless they try to get macho and catch them! Until now we've only had reports of Scorpions and Rats in the Egyptian desert.

You were truely brave to remove the snake that "walked" [Big Grin] into your house [Eek!] . I would've been the one running out and leaving it behind.. I can't even deal with lizards!

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com