EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Starbucks comes to Cairo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starbucks comes to Cairo!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starbucks outlines plans for Brazil, Egypt, India, Russia

By Katherine Hunt
Last Update: 2:19 PM ET Oct 5, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Starbucks Corp. said Thursday it plans to have a presence in 40 countries outside of the United States if it meets its projections and establishes locations in Brazil, Egypt, India and Russia by the end of 2007. The Seattle-based coffee giant said it now targets opening 20,000 locations internationally, up from its previous goal of 15,000. Through a joint-venture partnership with M.H. Alshaya, Starbucks said it plans to open its first African location in Cairo, Egypt, by the end of 2006. The company said it plans to open a store in Sao Paulo, Brazil, by the end of the year, through its joint-venture company, Starbucks Brasil Comercio de Cafes. Also with M.H. Alshaya, Starbucks said it targets opening it first store in Moscow in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007. The company said it's negotiating the terms of a joint venture for operations in India, with an initial focus on major cities such as Delhi and Mumbai.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B28183DEA%2D271B%2D42DF%2DAF30%2D7221C2948B29%7D&dist=rss&siteid=mktwdist%3Drss&siteid=mktw

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm.... Hope people have the conscience to not buy their products! A certain high percentage of the earnings goes to support israel. I really hope arabs arent that ignorant to support them!
Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you tell the Egyptians at the same time to boycott Mac Donald's, KFC, Pizza Hut and everything else? Take all Western fast-food restaurants out of Egypt, let's see if Egyptians will miss the convenience and the taste.... and oh BTW find new employment for all people who lost their jobs! [Confused]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya3ny, they probably support Israel, those companies too, but at least Starbucks is very well known for supporting Israel much, even for arabs living in america :S

--------------------
Iraqi, ya3ny!!!!!

Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auto Matic For The People
Member # 10849

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auto Matic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Princess Tigerlily*:
Why don't you tell the Egyptians at the same time to boycott Mac Donald's, KFC, Pizza Hut and everything else? Take all Western fast-food restaurants out of Egypt, let's see if Egyptians will miss the convenience and the taste.... and oh BTW find new employment for all people who lost their jobs! [Confused]

What convenience and what taste? All that junk is not healthy for them anyway and even if it was who cares! 3raqyah_fi_Masr's advice is a good one.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, If paulistano & his wife like coffee this will be perfect for them since they reside in both places the article is speaking of!!!

I don't care who Starbucks supports I like their coffee and I will continue to buy & drink it!!!

And I like the idea of Cairo having its own Starbucks...And I think it will be very successful. You know these business's aren't just opened at random. Much research is done beforehand and if Starbuck representatives didn't think it would be successful in Egypt they would not even think of opening a store in that location..

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if they want to open one in Hurghada, I will run it for them!

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muslimman
Member # 11892

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for muslimman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3raqyah_fi_Masr:
Hmmmmmm.... Hope people have the conscience to not buy their products! A certain high percentage of the earnings goes to support israel. I really hope arabs arent that ignorant to support them!

Masr, they will not, because normal ppl dont bother so much abt politics and all this mess in media, they are just humans and want to leave in peace and they want to have things which are usefull for them or simply they like them... why not? you know, we are leaving in the same world and if we like each other or not, we will still be together... so it would be great to stop all this support/blocking business which media are distributing all around. at least among simple ppl who are not interested to make wars... and believe me such ppl exist in much higher number then those who want wars...

so what is bad in that coffee? by the way McDonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC are really junk food
and if ppl are eating their products constantly they have really big problems with health... so be carefull with it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.html?in_article_id=357471&in_page_id=1798

There is Starbucks in Bahrain also and lots of arab ppl are going there as well as foreigners who just like this place in their countries.... i like it too and im unhappy that there is no starbucks where im now [Frown] so it seems that Egipt has more possibilities to bring success to starbucks than an european country [Smile]

maybe i should go for coffee to cairo [Big Grin]
salam

Posts: 119 | From: Poland, US, Egypt, Australia... anywhere | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, Starbucks the company does not give money to Israel.

However, the CEO of Starbucks, Howard Schultz, is an admitted zionist, and personally gives contributions to Israeli and American Jewish charities. And he personally is anti-Palestinian.

Do with that information as you will.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey left do you know howard personally?
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well,Starbucks is on it's way to the new build at Carrefour,Maadi.
Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh great, just what cairo needs, a bunch of egyptians even more hyper than before. ever drink starbux? it's borderline speedfreak! i cant live a day without it. lol
Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rebreather:
quote:
Originally posted by *Princess Tigerlily*:

What convenience and what taste? All that junk is not healthy for them anyway and even if it was who cares! 3raqyah_fi_Masr's advice is a good one.
This is what blows me away. I really fight eating fast food in the USA. But when in Egypt its amazing how much better the quality of food product is from these fast food chains. Most of the product is produced in Egypt. My ex claimed that he became really disappointed in American fast food only after he came to the USA. He lived off of American fast food during his college years.

Personally I didn't manage to pick up fast food during the last trip to Egypt. If I can remember the pizza joint we stoped at the day before I left... It was either in smomouha or whatever, it was in Alex not far from Thomas Cook. It was heavenly, too bad I could barely chew it.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com