EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Working out... Keeping in shape, what to do???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working out... Keeping in shape, what to do???
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey... Just wondering how u guys that live here in egypt stay in shape? Im a very lazy person, but I wanna find somethin to do to stay in shape. The gym bore me... What else can u do???
Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am supposedly the biggest couch potato on Earth, but the only thing that got me going along the years is group sports. Even tennis counts in this. If you have an obligation to show up for an appointment you will stick to your schedule.

Now with the kids and the busy life, I have no time to leave the house that much, but since I'd rather die than be overweight, I have a whole gym at home! I workout while watching a good movie.

I also count my calories. EVERY SINGLE day! But of course when I'm in Egypt, I break the rules a bit. It's a holiday ba2ah!

Sounds boring, but it pays back so well!

Good luck. Being happy with your package is what makes you look good, no matter how you really look like.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya3ny... Im happy with tha "situation" as it is now... Just wanna keep it that way... What sport/workout is avaliable here in egypt? I have to start something [Razz]

--------------------
Iraqi, ya3ny!!!!!

Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah02
Member # 1332

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel's Love:
I am supposedly the biggest couch potato on Earth, but the only thing that got me going along the years is group sports. Even tennis counts in this. If you have an obligation to show up for an appointment you will stick to your schedule.

Now with the kids and the busy life, I have no time to leave the house that much, but since I'd rather die than be overweight, I have a whole gym at home! I workout while watching a good movie.

I also count my calories. EVERY SINGLE day! But of course when I'm in Egypt, I break the rules a bit. It's a holiday ba2ah!

Sounds boring, but it pays back so well!

Good luck. Being happy with your package is what makes you look good, no matter how you really look like.

lol, you sound like me, I'm always counting calories, my sister says I always look like I'm calculating something!Yeah with a kid, It's much easier to have your own gym at home.
Posts: 116 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silent
Member # 11919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for silent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3raqyah_fi_Masr:
Ya3ny... Im happy with tha "situation" as it is now... Just wanna keep it that way... What sport/workout is avaliable here in egypt? I have to start something [Razz]

hi 3raqyah_fi_masr...
you better be a member in a sporting club...
and near by where you live so you don`t get lazy going there..
tennis seems suitable for women...jogging and squash if you are good in racket...
me and my wife will start our sports season of work out once we are done with the pain of the flight from Brazil ( still feeling tired both of us )
you are welcomed to join us...in Arab contaractors sporting club...it is in nasr city..(me2awleen el 3arab club)...
i prefer swimming , tennis and soccer...
but you can join my wife...she needs a partner...if you live near..and if you are interested..

Posts: 165 | From: São paulo/Brazil Cairo/Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi IFM [Smile]

I'm not sure where you live, but you can go jogging outdoors (with your ipod ofcourse...since it gets boring unless you're focused on a goal or somehow distracted) at any of the sporting clubs (i.e. 'nady') on a track. Also, there are yoga classes downtown at the indian cultural center.

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not advise jogging in the streets of Cairo!
Either the cars or the dogs will get you.
Try the Digla Waadi.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello 3raqyah_fi_Masr how are you?

the key thing I think if you want to keep yourself in the good shape by practicing a sport is to learn how to do it independently, Walking down the street to do some shopping or going to work by walk instead of taking your car, is also a sport, When I use to be in Cairo I use to walk from Heliopolis to Korba, every day. ( 30 minutes of exercises everyday and for free) [Big Grin]

Then once you have acquired this independence, you can try many others sports until you find the one that suit you the most.

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3raqyah_fi_Masr:

WALK fast, everywhere. At home - move fast, energetically: it does wanders. I am size 10 at 40 and HATE exercising. [Big Grin]

Watch what you eat - we ARE what we eat after all. [Wink]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't counted calories or fat grams since I was a teenager. Several geratric studies have found that yo-yo dieters (which is most dieters, not avidly healthy eater, huge difference there) have astronomical health problems in old age.

While alot of elderly people who were at their ideal weight or slightly over during their life spans and actively engaged had the best health.

These people who lived long healthy lives often didn't watch TV, drive everywhere and even though some were well off financially they did their own housework, yardwork and their own cooking.

I spent alot of time in nursing homes as a teenager, hated the whole experience. Alot of the women who were senile and very persistant to explain to me that I was a thick-middled teenager came to the nursing home because of broken hips. When a broken hip happens its because their overall health and bones are frail, mostly due to obessessive dieting over a lifetime. Then the infections set in from the broken hip, they brake them over and over and over again. The infections affect their spinal column, their brains, senility seeps in heavily. Then they are angry mean old ladies who are 80lbs because still after breaking their hips 5 times in a decade are afraid of gaining weight.

While the woman who slips on the ice at age 70 with a little extra padding and a lifetime of being healthy and active only has a serious bruise.

This steams from people's attitudes in this century who find that living to a ripe old age isn't something of a goal. They don't want to look a day over 24, 30, 35 or so and find that anything is worth sacrificing in order to stay media savy pencil thin until their looks don't matter anymore. Which is about 55 years. Somehow I don't think being beautiful ends at 55, or even 75 years. But most are willing to sacrifice a life time of health for a few short decades.

Only 2 women in my family didn't live to see 95 years old. I know I'll see 100.

So I eat a balanced diet, no booze, no smoking, and walk/bike just about everywhere. I even bike to the odd jobs I work at, to the grocery store, to the library, to school.

I come from a nice affluent suburb in which most teenagers and women under 60 are a size 0, 2, or 4. But when they get old they are miserable.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pascha - agree with you completely. [Smile]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:

Watch out this is sonomod, changed the display name to annoy the crap out of people. [Wink]
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
quote:

Watch out this is sonomod, changed the display name to annoy the crap out of people. [Wink]
Sono, the world is about to end! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sono, the world is about to end! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
At least we'll be in shape to run to the end of the earth to avoid being swept into the devil's soup!
[Razz]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alot of the women who were senile and very persistant to explain to me that I was a thick-middled teenager came to the nursing home because of broken hips. When a broken hip happens its because their overall health and bones are frail, mostly due to obessessive dieting over a lifetime. Then the infections set in from the broken hip, they brake them over and over and over again. The infections affect their spinal column, their brains, senility seeps in heavily. Then they are angry mean old ladies who are 80lbs because still after breaking their hips 5 times in a decade are afraid of gaining weight.

While the woman who slips on the ice at age 70 with a little extra padding and a lifetime of being healthy and active only has a serious bruise.

This steams from people's attitudes in this century who find that living to a ripe old age isn't something of a goal. They don't want to look a day over 24, 30, 35 or so and find that anything is worth sacrificing in order to stay media savy pencil thin until their looks don't matter anymore. Which is about 55 years. Somehow I don't think being beautiful ends at 55, or even 75 years. But most are willing to sacrifice a life time of health for a few short decades.

Only 2 women in my family didn't live to see 95 years old. I know I'll see 100.

So I eat a balanced diet, no booze, no smoking, and walk/bike just about everywhere. I even bike to the odd jobs I work at, to the grocery store, to the library, to school.

I come from a nice affluent suburb in which most teenagers and women under 60 are a size 0, 2, or 4. But when they get old they are miserable.

Sono, a topless [Big Grin] pizza does not qualify as balanced diet.

And you can twist facts as you wish, but everyone still knows that being overweight is NOT healthy.

If you really have worked for nursing homes you would have known that a pad of fat on the ass does not save a person from a broken hip. Old women's hips break easily due to the lack of oestrogen after the menopause. And the more the fat the less the oestrogen in the blood. Let alone the fact that having some extra pounds beyond 40 will require a shopping spree for new hips and knees at the nearest surgery mall.

I mean I am happy you are proud of your body, but twisting medical facts to suit your taste is code orange to me!

And now that you will live to be a hundred.. This means we have 68 more years of pain on ES? [Frown]

Hara-Kiri time.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Sono, a topless [Big Grin] pizza does not qualify as balanced diet.

And you can twist facts as you wish, but everyone still knows that being overweight is NOT healthy.

If you really have worked for nursing homes you would have known that a pad of fat on the ass does not save a person from a broken hip. Old women's hips break easily due to the lack of oestrogen after the menopause. And the more the fat the less the oestrogen in the blood. Let alone the fact that having some extra pounds beyond 40 will require a shopping spree for new hips and knees at the nearest surgery mall.

I mean I am happy you are proud of your body, but twisting medical facts to suit your taste is code orange to me!

And now that you will live to be a hundred.. This means we have 68 more years of pain on ES? [Frown]

Hara-Kiri time.

And being 15lbs over your "ideal" weight is healthier than being 15lbs underweight.

You strike me as a person who'd rather throw away their health for the last 45 years of their life to be the size of a 11 year old for another 15 years. [Roll Eyes]

Medical facts say that being slightly over ideal weight while moderatly exercising and eating from the 5 food groups as instructed is much better than being constantly underweight and not eating healthy nor exercising within guidelines.

Very difficult to fudge widely accepted medical guidelines for a healthy LONG than to leave out the most important "base" guidelines alltogether. [Roll Eyes]

Compare our posts, use your brain. Or better yet use the brain of your husband who has a internationally recognized medical license! [Big Grin]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
And being 15lbs over your "ideal" weight is healthier than being 15lbs underweight.

You strike me as a person who'd rather throw away their health for the last 45 years of their life to be the size of a 11 year old for another 15 years. [Roll Eyes]

Medical facts say that being slightly over ideal weight while moderatly exercising and eating from the 5 food groups as instructed is much better than being constantly underweight and not eating healthy nor exercising within guidelines.

Very difficult to fudge widely accepted medical guidelines for a healthy long than to leave out the most important "base" guidelines alltogether. [Roll Eyes]

Compare our posts, use your brain. Or better yet use the brain of your husband who has a internationally recognized medical license! [Big Grin]

AN internationally etc..
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Very difficult to fudge widely accepted medical guidelines for a healthy long than to leave out the most important "base" guidelines alltogether. [Roll Eyes]

AN internationally etc..
correcting my grammar doesn't make you any more qualified outside of Egypt! [Big Grin]

Besides on ES is common for non-Londoner, high school British grades to correct the grammar/spelling of college educated ESers. Go back and look, you'll see the trend. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com