EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Giant comet may collide with Earth late October

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giant comet may collide with Earth late October
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Russian astronomer Nikolai Fedorovsky, a giant comet flying at top speed is bound for Earth. Should the comet stay on the collision course, it may hit the planet in late October. The impact will cause devastating tsunamis, earthquakes and avalanches, says Fedorovsky. He saw the killer comet in a telescope two weeks ago. He managed to calculate the comet’s trajectory. We got in touch with Nikolai Fedorovsky:

Asteroids attack Earth

BREAKING NEWS

“Just a few people are aware of the fact that comets of various sizes fly past Earth at a very close distance on a regular basis,” says Fedorovsky. “Those comets usually pass by unnoticed. The above circumstance is not a guarantee against disaster by any means. The Tunguska meteorite landed in the wilderness of Siberia. What if the behemoth had plunged into the center of Europe or somewhere in the ocean?

“I’m not trying to scare anybody, I just want to warn the public,” sums up Fedorovsky. “We should pay attention to this suspicious celestial body. We could obtain more accurate calculations if other astronomers join forces. We could also photograph it if we’re in luck. We will probably partake in one of the greatest events in the history of humankind,” adds he.

“We shouldn’t underestimate the threat poised by asteroid and comets,” says Igor Gerasimov, deputy director of the Sternberg Astronomical Institute. “More than a thousand meteorite showers cross Earth’s orbit and pose a real threat to life on the planet. We’re watching only nine showers of the above number. Those nine have several dozen objects, which may collide with Earth. The size of the objects varies. Some of them are tiny dust particles while the others have the proportions of gigantic heavenly bodies measuring up to 200 meters in diameter.”

The solar system has about two million asteroids measuring more than 50 meters in diameter in. About 4,000 asteroids of the above category have been discovered so far. The number of those under monitoring is even smaller. In fact, many asteroids and other celestial bodies remain unnoticed until they approach Earth. One of such asteroids was discovered in the process of examination of a picture taken by Hubble Space Telescope in 1998. Some of the asteroids come into view shortly after passing past Earth into the Moon’s orbit. About a dozen asteroids approach Earth presently. They measure more than 5 km in diameter. Scientists estimate the above celestial bodies may collide with Earth once every 20 million years.
Soon there will be 500 asteroids (over 1 km in diameter) approaching the planet Earth. An asteroid like that may fall Earth once every 100 000 years. A global catastrophe is very probable if the thing really goes down in flames.

Asteroids attack Earth

BREAKING NEWS

The possibility of a chance meeting with smaller celestial bodies is much greater. Earth will be covered with the “space burns” (craters measuring hundreds of kilometers across) as a result of such an encounter. Small fragments of asteroids (one-meter pieces, rocks and dust particles) hit the ground all the time. Fortunately, they do not cause any substantial damage. The biggest problem is that celestial bodies show up at a very short notice. Needless to say, they come out of the blue with no exact specifications attached. Therefore, the risk of a sudden collision would be a lot higher of the astronomers stop monitoring potential troublemakers.

“The geochemical and paleontological data shows that a celestial body about 170-330 km in diameter collided with Earth in the northern part of the Yukatan Peninsula some 65 million years ago at the turn of Cretaceous period of the Mesozoic era,” says Academician Alexei Rozanov, director of the Institute of Paleontology of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

“The crater called ‘Chiksulub’, 180 kilometers in diameter, is a mark of the impact.

The capacity of the blast is estimated at 100 million megatons. A huge amount of dust totaling one million tons was thrown into the atmosphere during the blast. Consequently, a six-month night fell over the planet. More than a half of all existing kinds of animals and plants perished. The global winter that followed may have killed the dinosaurs,” adds Rozanov.

“There’ll be more reports about new asteroids spotted in the vicinity of Earth. However, it’s not doomsday or anything of that kind. It’s just a sign of the solar system’s usual life,” says Igor Gerasimov. “A network for uninterrupted monitoring of celestial bodies was set up to protect Earth against the consequences of unwanted visits. Robotic telescopes watch the sky round the clock. Several observatories in different countries including Russia make part of the network,” adds Gerasimov.

Let us assume that a potentially dangerous object has been located, and it is heading Earth. What shall we do? There are a number of plans for the occasion. However, the implementation of those plans will require a higher level of technology, not to mention the funds. One of the plans involves the physical destruction of an object (see the 1998 movie Armageddon for further references). Scientists also suggest that an object’s descent trajectory be changed. Part of the object should be covered with chalk to attract more sun beams to the latter. The move is thought to be able to change the speed of the object and the direction it rotates. Predictably enough, the amount of chalk is the biggest stumbling block. According to estimates by American scientists, 250 thousand tons of chalk would be needed to change the orbit of the asteroid dubbed “1950 DA.” Besides, as many as 90 booster of Saturn-5 type would be required for carrying the chalk to the object. Well, it still looks very sci-fi.

Asteroids attack Earth

http://english.pravda.ru/img/idb/asteroid-earth.jpg

As for the “Fedorovsky asteroid,” all the above scientists believe the report is either a mistake or exaggeration. “We’ll surely see more reports like that in the future. But we shouldn’t fly into a panic each time we see another doomsday being announced in the press. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope that the thing will fail to hit our planet,” says Igor Gerasimov.

[Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astronomers at Russia's Pulkovo Observatory are refuting a prediction that a giant comet will collide with the Earth late this month.

Highly Russian astronomer Nikolai Fedorovsky has been quoted as predicting an Oct. 28 collision of a huge comet with Earth, unleashing devastating tsunamis, earthquakes and avalanches, the Russian news agency Novosty reported.

Sergei Smirnov, a spokesman at the observatory located south of St. Petersburg said, "Our research does not support media reports that a comet will collide with the Earth in late October."

He claimed Fedorovsky, who failed to reveal his credentials, is simply seeking publicity.

http://www.physorg.com/news79895081.html

Thanks god this is not true...... OMG!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a job for..........

SUPERMAN [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dean Cain for President! Yummy! [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
this is a job for..........

SUPERMAN [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

ROFLMAO [Big Grin]
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did it hit yet??? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roshelle88
Member # 12187

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roshelle88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol well according to nasa nothings happening for over a hundred years http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/news_detail.cfm?ID=167 rest at ease halloween will go on as planned
Posts: 5 | From: new england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Did it hit yet??? [Big Grin]

karahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [Big Grin] its ok we got Superman on the job [Cool]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's scary. What if this is all true and the people from the Observatory don't want to cause panic? What if a meteorite, an asteroid was to collide with Earth in reality one day? Have you all thought what our life would be then? The prospect of our last day on Earth? I do hope this Russian astronomer is wrong, I haven't got the chance to wear my new winter clothes yet [Big Grin]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you really think they nasa would tell you come on the world leaders say hardly anthing if they think the world wud go into mayhem they wud want to save them selves dont you think they have probably already got safe shafts or summat where u never know a station built on the moon we are only given what we or they think we shud here then sumone goes and prints a story and for some reasin he s dead or just put donw has a looney bin ,come on think about it the earth sufferes magor hits a day from astroids and meteors one day you never know there cud be one hit the earth and if you dwelve iinto the archives u will see the earth not long had a near miss and they had rcokets on standby 2weeks prior to the meteor hitting us to hit it off course which they had to do as impact 4days prior so come on thinkabout it the bible and the quran is correct we shud beaware ....
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by NourHayati:
It's scary. What if this is all true and the people from the Observatory don't want to cause panic? What if a meteorite, an asteroid was to collide with Earth in reality one day? Have you all thought what our life would be then? The prospect of our last day on Earth? I do hope this Russian astronomer is wrong, I haven't got the chance to wear my new winter clothes yet [Big Grin]

we must all make sure we have clean undies on for the event [Big Grin]
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
and the morning after pill .. [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone please take a safe shelter.

I'm right here behind Sono's ass.

(See Sono? I can simply attack you without creating new accounts. Ya habla!)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I love to watch natural disaster movies.

For giant comet colliding with Earth check out 'Deep Impact' with Morgan Freeman and Tea Leoni. Very sad ending but the hope never dies, right? :

If you interested how a future global superstorm could effect our Earth watch Roland Emmerich's film 'The Day After Tomorrow' with Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhal. Very scary....

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
oh i saw day after tomorrow [Eek!] very very good film!!
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was very good TV series on UK telly a few years ago called The Last Train.
It was about a meteorite or something hit the earth, and the people in one carriage ended up in some kind of deep sleep statis and emerged about 20 years later to a completely different landscape. They were in this deep sleep statis because one of the passengers worked for the govt. and knew about the meteorite and was carrying canisters of gas that created this statis. She was on her way to place called the Ark (how imaginative!) where government officals and her boyfriend were in safety from the metoerite.

I enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow as well. I'd like to be rescued by Dennis Quaid please!!

But if something really really BIG was happening, I think I'd rather be in the centre of it and perish quickly. Just imagine everything afterwards though.... yes, there's always hope and rebuilding etc ... there will always be some kind of survival, but it would be hard, no food or crops could be grown if the sun if blacked out for a couple of years, no infrastructure, breakdown of law and order, no buses. Hmmmmm ............. what a depressing thought for the day, it started on a low and its getting worse!! Maybe I should be more positive, and I would be one of those who survived. Even become prime minister! and I'll have you all in my cabinet!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the bit where this Russian says he wanted to 'warn the public'
warn us to do what??
wear a big hat?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, all jokes aside, we are actually on the course of MANY comets and asteroids which our astronomers are not informing us about to avoid a public panic event. For those living in US, underneath a Yellowstone Park there is a HUGE vulcano brewing ready to pop any time: that would be the end of 3/4 of the country in few minutes and with the rest through the aftermath. I am sure there is MANY more of those perils just waiting to get us, so let's smile to Superman and clean underwear is a must! I would also recommend a shower in case we do get to save the world with Mr. S and then what?!?!?! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Everyone please take a safe shelter.

I'm right here behind Sono's ass.

(See Sono? I can simply attack you without creating new accounts. Ya habla!)

hehehehehhe........ [Big Grin]

Im sure her ass is big enough for me too to hide

NEW ACCOUNTS MY A$$ [Big Grin]

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well according to the ancient mayans, on december 11th, 2012 the earth will wobble of orbit when it comes into a certain alignment with the sun and that will cause the end of the world. apparently everything the mayans said has happened...they were the best astrologers.
Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, we have 6 more years to live? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] What will happen to my clothes, my jewelry, my cats, my friends??? [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Frown]
Is there any site or book I can read more about it? I was told the Mayans were very good astrologers, they were the first to "invent" the modern calendar...

Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
if you beleive in god then no its not going to happen ,but the earth has already moved off its axel and does so at every second ,if this was true with the amountof f*******king bombs and nuclear bombs we have let off we shud have gone ages ago ..dont you think ..so my favour is in ''allah ''

so if you believing this then what shes asying get ready and happpppppppy shagging [Big Grin] [Razz]

doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tami025:
well according to the ancient mayans, on december 11th, 2012 the earth will wobble of orbit when it comes into a certain alignment with the sun and that will cause the end of the world. apparently everything the mayans said has happened...they were the best astrologers.

Mel Gibson has recently made a movie about it all. http://apocalypto.movies.go.com/ Not sure if Disney is still planning to go with it though since I read somewhere that they were ditching him but I can't wait to see it!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com