EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Crossing Cairo roads

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crossing Cairo roads
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God!dont any of you think that it is safer to play russian roullette with a fully loaded Revolver than to cross a road in cairo?? [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes I agree...and the drivers are so rude to boot, if they see you begin to cross, they hit the gas and aim right at you...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes....... that scares me...... it's a nightmare [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAKE SURE YOUR INSURED TO BE TAKEN HOME IF YOU SUCCUMB TO BEING HIT BY A DRIVER IN CAIRO ,IM MUSLIM BUT I MANY TIMES DID THE CROSS ON MY CHEST AS I RAN FOR DEAR LIFE [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Eek!]
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...u might also end up with a driver spitting in your direction..(which happened to me a couple of times)

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoffeeAddict&Not looking for a cure
Member # 11183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoffeeAddict&Not looking for a cure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BANANA FACE(luv it toots thnx):
IM MUSLIM BUT I MANY TIMES DID THE CROSS ON MY CHEST AS I RAN FOR DEAR LIFE [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Eek!]

thats not funny at all, thats terrible. your muslim but you do the cross hoping for protection? wtf..

think before you post chimpss.

Posts: 173 | From: In you're coffee pot | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg cant you get a joke when its done for godsake get off the coffee i do as i say and when and where i want im who iam and i do as i please ur not my maker ok get off my bck will yah
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Asssalamualaikum warah matullahi wabaraktuh

Are we allowed to curse people who upset us ??
A`udhu bi kalimaatillahi’ ttaammati min kulli shaytaanin wa haamma wa min kulli `aynin laamma

(‘I seek refuge in Allah most perfect words from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye.’)

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ التَّامَّةِ مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْطَانٍ وَهَامَّةٍ وَمِنْ كُلِّ عَيْنٍ
لَامَّةٍ

[Roll Eyes]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Asssalamualaikum warah matullahi wabaraktuh

Are we allowed to curse people who upset us ??
A`udhu bi kalimaatillahi’ ttaammati min kulli shaytaanin wa haamma wa min kulli `aynin laamma

(‘I seek refuge in Allah most perfect words from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye.’)

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ التَّامَّةِ مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْطَانٍ وَهَامَّةٍ وَمِنْ كُلِّ عَيْنٍ
لَامَّةٍ

[Roll Eyes]

Dont bother Chimpss..... nobody deserves to make you upset [Cool]
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never really had problems crossing the street in Cairo. Although in the beginning it was kind of scary but I just stepped on the road and people in general noticed that I want to cross over and slowed down their cars..... it wasn't that bad.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow tigerlily,there must be something special in your step,maybe you waltz on the tarmac?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What street and I can move there. I work on the corniche and I have never crossed the road by myself other than a friday morning
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whenever i think of crossing the road i get the image of neo from the matrix. u more or less need his moves and skills to cross the road safely
Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by maxman:
Wow tigerlily,there must be something special in your step,maybe you waltz on the tarmac?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

hahahahahaha remember shes TIGERLILLY its not that she waltzes over its how she doesit ... [Wink]
growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl....
i cant get over the zebra crossing they have there the first time i went there i stopped and waited and waited for the cars to stop and my husband said what you doing im saying the cars should have stopped by now he strted laughing i didnt i wanst amused ,he siad this is EGYPT not ENGLAND they do things the wway they want to i wasnt amused i was fuming cause ifell stupid so i went across and shoute d STOP IM CROSSING NOW....he said another thing be careful u can get arrested for that cus ur thrwing ur arms about ,,so i strted to walk like a penguin he then walked on ahead of me cus he was trying not to laugh ,,cus im stupid u see ..

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunburnt:
What street and I can move there. I work on the corniche and I have never crossed the road by myself other than a friday morning

I worked at the corniche too (Maspero) and boy - that's what I call traffic! [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by sunburnt:

I worked at the corniche too (Maspero) and boy - that's what I call traffic! [Smile]
Tiger & Sunburnt, BBC? Video Cairo? TV Building? [Wink]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I heard that they plan to move almost completely all offices from the TV building. What's going to happen to the house itself? Did you hear more news about it?
Civil Disobedience
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Civil Disobedience         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good time to go walking now (and cross roads) in Ramadan is during iftar, when the streets are almost deserted.
Posts: 252 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crossing roads in downtown Cairo is sport for the masses. I'm pretty sure that most Egyptians would qualify automatically, in the 100 metre sprint category for the olympics. Never have I seen old people, disabled people, blind people, women with children move so quickly. Drivers in Cairo are almost as brave as pedestrians.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 11 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to commit suicide..... crossing the streets of Egypt is the fastest exit [Roll Eyes]

But, it's the worst death you can have........ you will go to the grave in pieces

You choose....... easy fast death? or going to the grave still intact??

Although I'll be dead someday....... I'd rather go to my grave still intact & perfect

What a load of sh!t I am saying???? [Eek!]

I am in a pissy mood this morning [Mad]

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Crossing roads in downtown Cairo is sport for the masses. I'm pretty sure that most Egyptians would qualify automatically, in the 100 metre sprint category for the olympics. Never have I seen old people, disabled people, blind people, women with children move so quickly. Drivers in Cairo are almost as brave as pedestrians.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ,iamjust pissing my self laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by maxman:
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ,iamjust pissing my self laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL...... British Humor
[Big Grin]

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
what about when ur in the friggen car and a horse with a boy n it galloping towards you shite ,,AND the car breaks down ur in it the driver changing the friggen wheel in the middle of the moter way shite the worst of it its when you want to cross you got to climb down the pavement then run and dodge the cars honking at yah when u got to the other end u got to climb up the friggen pavement ,man u come BCK TO ENGLAND AND FIND U GOT HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE ... [Frown]
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what about when ur in the friggen car and a horse with a boy n it galloping towards you shite ,,AND the car breaks down ur in it the driver changing the friggen wheel in the middle of the moter way shite the worst of it its when you want to cross you got to climb down the pavement then run and dodge the cars honking at yah when u got to the other end u got to climb up the friggen pavement ,man u come BCK TO ENGLAND AND FIND U GOT HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE ... [Frown]

Ha ha ha, those pavements! Love the image of climbing up and down them!
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
egypt may be bad as well but take a look at this in INDIA ,,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5338330163635012030

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard in India they will swerve the car to avoid hitting a cow but will (instead) hit a person faster [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that the building were going to be converted into hotels, shopping malls and apartment buildings might be truth in the rumour as the person who told me is quite high up
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
India is amazing in so many ways. The traffic is also scary but I still think Cairo has the edge, when it comes to attempting to cross the road. The first time we went to Cairo, a blind woman and her disabled husband helped us make a run for it. Now I know what to look for, it's much easier (mostly lots of other people running at either side of you, as a kind of human cushion, to lessen your chances of getting directly hit). Joking apart, pedestrians and drivers in Cairo face some of the worst conditions in the world. My admiration for how they cope with this danger is considerable.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

lol cope, meaning russian roulette [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MAKE SURE YOUR INSURED TO BE TAKEN HOME IF YOU SUCCUMB TO BEING HIT BY A DRIVER IN CAIRO ,IM MUSLIM BUT I MANY TIMES DID THE CROSS ON MY CHEST AS I RAN FOR DEAR LIFE [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Eek!]

ohh i can just see this [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First time in Cairo i walked miles so as to have a smaller piece of road to cross [Big Grin] next time I had help from various people then I was taught how to do it.

You climb or jump off the high pavement, hold out your left hand to stop the traffic, close your eyes, walk and pray all the way to the other side [Big Grin]

My worst experience was actually as a passenger. driver was from Luxor so not so used to the roads there, driving along in 4 lanes that should be 3 lanes and sometimes became 5 lanes, he was on the lane near the pavement and wanted to turn round. He didnt look, indicate or even think first, just turned the wheel across all lanes to turn left and go up the other side. I screamed, 4 cars screached so as not to hit us and the horns on all the cars we could see were blaring. I thought we would be hit, I was in the back nearest to the cars that almost hit us, it was damn scary [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at this video
[Eek!]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=765IrcoEzzI

Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its the speeding up thing as you are midway that I just dont get. They actually aim at you and accelerate?????????????????why????????
Old, blind, cripples children, mothers carrying babies................

OMG!!! last night you reminded me. We were overtaken at the Carrefour Maadi on way back from soukhna around 8pm in the dark on the bend by a silver car with driver holding a newborn over his left shoulder and one arm around it and the other on the wheel. No passengers.....
That's the third time I have seen this. Last 2 were older kids over the shoulder of the driver whilst driving, mothers IN THE passenger seat!!!!!!!!!!
Please all the egyptians here on ES can you explain this to me? I just cannot get it!
Why do you do it and why do you mothers allow it? [Confused] [Frown] [Confused] [Frown]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I never really had problems crossing the street in Cairo. Although in the beginning it was kind of scary but I just stepped on the road and people in general noticed that I want to cross over and slowed down their cars..... it wasn't that bad. [/QUOTE}

Wonder why it is that you are the only person who never has trouble crossing the streets of Cairo. Well I guess we should just call you Moses then, you can part the cars in the streets of Cairo, just like Moses did the Sea. Wow, once again you are stating just how SPECIAL you are, how nice! Something smells funny, oh no, wait I guess your poop doesn't stink either?

Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

lol gosh Fairy that's pretty cold [Confused]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
lol gosh Fairy that's pretty cold [Confused]

Well it takes one to know one.
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had wondered if there were skateboarders or in-line skaters who abuse public and private property in Egypt:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcvls_talat-1

well there here. Now at least I get to watch some of these arse-holes crack their heads open on cold hard concrete, like back home!

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LoL
i guess it is safer to take a taxi just to crose the road [Big Grin]

might help hehehhee

Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

I used to beg my friends not to make me cross the street. But the time came, and I learned to hold someones hand stay close and pray.

One thing I don't miss. LOL

Oh........and say Hamdulleh! when across. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com