EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » anyone know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone know?
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a tree which has beautiful flowers on it.
The flowers are about 2 inches long and are reddy pink and like a bunch of feathers. Very hair like. The leaves of the tree are like the mimosa?
Any gardeners here who know the name of it please?
I gotta have one!! lol

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it folks dont worry............ [Big Grin]
Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it? [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
http://www.easttennesseewildflowers.com/gallery/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=Summer-Roadsides-Pink&id=Mimosa_close_up1_jpg0001

Its a silk tree a mimosa. So beautiful when these flowers are covering it........
I took some seeds so hopefully.......lol [Big Grin] [Wink]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, thank you. There were red flowering trees I saw in Cairo, but of course my husband had no clue what they were. These aren't it, but they are lovely.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
There are many types of Mimosa I discovered. A very common red one is a mimosa too, it also come in pink. Maybe it was that? Also the hibiscus can grow really quite large with big maybe 4 inch flowers? those sre in deep red and many other colours too. [Wink]
High-Voltage
Member # 10969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for High-Voltage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tooti , i suggest u give it a shot with digital camera and post it so we can help u perfectly, i have a friend who owns landscaping company and he knews a lot about Egypyian trees.

I have same question for anybody from USA or Canada, I saw that tree in Ohio that has these pretty dark red leaves same one on canadian flag , does anybody knew the name and if it's possible to raise one in egypt climate...?

Posts: 238 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pollina
Member # 6404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pollina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High-voltage: google for maple and look if this is the one
Posts: 182 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Cheers high voltage but i have the name and species now.
The one you are looking for is the canadian maple.
From its geographical locations I would think that if you tried to grow one the temps would be fine but it would need lots of watering and a good rich medium to grow in, lots of compost, leaf mould etc?
Trythe japanese Acer which is smaller with the same leaves, same colour. Thy can live happily in pots, and are more ornamental.

annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mapple trees are only red in the fall... It will grow here no problem but you wont get any mapple syrup! :-)

- A Canadian in Cairo

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by High-Voltage:
tooti , i suggest u give it a shot with digital camera and post it so we can help u perfectly, i have a friend who owns landscaping company and he knews a lot about Egypyian trees.

HI hi-voltage,could you ask your friend what kind of tree are desert resistant/semi arid lands that can be feasable for an agroforestry??Thank you
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
High-Voltage
Member # 10969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for High-Voltage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot totti , pollina and annie too , maxman i'll check for you about this after eid ....
Posts: 238 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx hi-volt,i meant drought resistant not desert,cheers!

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by maxman:
quote:
Originally posted by High-Voltage:

HI hi-voltage,could you ask your friend what kind of tree are desert resistant/semi arid lands that can be feasable for an agroforestry??Thank you
Palms, Joshua tree and cactus ( all types) [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
tootifruity,pls tell me all the types you know that can be economically feasable for an agroforestry project.thx again [Smile]

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Arghhhhhhhh
I was joking maxman!! lol
But seriously what is the project? Are you looking for timber to harvest? Or a nursery to supply garden centres? [Smile]

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
You may think this is mad,but i always wanted to plant trees in the desert near the sea,using a Zero emission desalination plant, if i do not See green i get ill!!i was brought up &Educated in the highlands of kenya where the was alot of british owned tea plantations,do you get me?? [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com