EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Numbers, figures, statistics......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Numbers, figures, statistics......
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you think the percentage of gigolos are in Egypt? Is there really that many gigolos in Egypt?

What's the percentage of prostitutes?

what's the percentage of STD's & Aids?

What's the percentage of Pedophelia? (people deny it exists in Egypt but I dont believe it)

what's the % of rape?

% of homosexuality? both gay & lesbian?

I'd like to know to what extent these things exist in Egypt & whether they are wide spread or not?

I have been wondering about these fdor years & I am not sure if we have accurate statistics.... but what do you think? have you wondered about the same things?

what else?......... my head is clear right now but I'd like to see you guys add more questions..... anything you've been wondering about here in Egypt?

And Please I wish to see some answers.

please feel free to expres your opinions & thoughts...... no biting or tearing each others'clothes please like in Ataba

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChinderallaAngelTormentor CAT:

please feel free to expres your opinions & thoughts...... no biting or tearing each others'clothes please like in Ataba

Or like they do in Beverly Hills or Orange County, California.

Yeah only the wealthy in the USA are the ones who behave like beggars in Ataba, Cairo, Egypt. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew of a teacher who sexual abused a shild at school don't know what happend to him though. I also worked with 2 gays at the same school. LOL

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that many people here deny that there is child abuse in Egypt........ especially abuse from fathers or step-fathers is something not reported or talked about.

Please Albino, I beg you [Big Grin] , dont say it's only the wealthy of Egypt who molest their kids [Big Grin]

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, Chinderella...they probably force the kids to wear Prada during it too.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chinderalla,

Egypt doesn't appear to have credible statistics, so it is impossible to evaluate properly. The nature of society and the lack of social support systems makes collection more difficult. The sad fact about such crimes is that the easier they are to report, the more obvious the extent of the problem becomes.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Ha, Chinderella...they probably force the kids to wear Prada during it too.

LOL...... The damned rich with shoe fetish, obsession with famous signet brands & pedophelia [Big Grin] ...... what a buch of deviants [Big Grin]
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
The sad fact about such crimes is that the easier they are to report, the more obvious the extent of the problem becomes.

You mean that people in Egypt are afraid to face the horrible things that happen? It seems so........ Is it becuase it's a taboo to talk about it, make surveys & statistics or is it that people are afriad to admit that something is wrong?
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Chinderalla

Talking about such matters is very difficult, I imagine, for any abused woman or child, whether in the west or in Egypt. Western societies have established support mechanisms, legislation and welfare, to take care of women and children, so that they may seek support and get help more easily. Government departments collate information, as do charitable bodies. This all builds a clearer statistical picture.

Globally, it appears that rape is more likely to be carried out by people known to women...or within marriage. Rape is illegal in marriage, in most western societies. Women are encouraged to report rape and abuse. Police forces are specially trained to deal with women carefully and sensitively. This encourages more women to report rape (although, even with these measures in place, some women choose not to). It's easier to collect information, when appropriate safeguards are in place.

There is no perfect system for dealing with the trauma of rape and abuse. The best that can be offered is access to justice and ensuring that offending men are the ones who are shamed.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

That's right......... I was once very badly sexually harrassed in a work setting....... i wanted to go & report it to the police but my father stoped me...... i didnt agree with him but his reasoning was actually convincing later on...... the police would deal with me as if it was my fault, ASK DIRTY QUESTIONS & act like dicks [Roll Eyes]

I called a female lawyer..... she was very supportuve to me as I was in emotional distress but there was no proof to hold against the abuser.

I even called the manager of the sick abuser..... you know what she told me? And it's a SHE, "it's not in your favor to make up stories, he has been working for us for 5 years, he just got married this year, his wife is pregnant & he is religous & prays 5 times a day" [Roll Eyes]

as if working for someone for 5 years is long enough to know someone [Roll Eyes] ..... as if praying 5 times a day will cure him from pervertion [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

So who shall we go to? why do we have to suffer in silence?

at some point we thought of hiring someone to go & beat the crap out of him & break his bones ........ but it's not us who'd do such a thing. There are no rights here & no protection

Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The burden of proof always lies with the prosecution even in the "developed" nations. As a result, the victim will always be doubted and efforts will be made to find the holes in her testimony. She can expect to relive the abuse on the witness stand if it ever goes to court.
Look at the clergy cases in the States that have exploded into scandal a couple of years back. Some diocese had thousands of cases concealed, in which children (and sometimes women) were raped and otherwise sexually abused by church clergy. A similar scandal was exposed in Ireland, and Italy before that.
This particular crime is extremely hard to expose and prosecute, especially if the perpetrator is a "good Christian" or "prays five times a day." It is like this in all countries. On the metro in Japan there were signs saying "please don't molest the girls" because of the incredible frequency of men groping the female riders on the tightly crowded trains.
Due to the fact that this type of case is so problematic, legal justice is often not worth the trouble. My personal suggestion is:
quote:
hiring someone to go & beat the crap out of him & break his bones

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Graf_Genn:
As a result, the victim will always be doubted and efforts will be made to find the holes in her testimony. She can expect to relive the abuse on the witness stand if it ever goes to court.

I wouldnt relive that if they paid me million dollars
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
ChinderallaAngel,

What a terrible experience. As the poster above states, bringing such claims, even in countries with legislation is never an easy option. The point is, women have the option, with support systems available to help. Sexual discrimination and harassment cases make the news a lot here, with successful outcomes for women. Many cases don't come to court but employers must train managers to deal effectively with harassment issues. The Equal Opportinies Commission is committed to improving gender equality:

http://www.eoc.org.uk/Default.aspx?page=15306

To simply take the word of a man, over that of a woman, is not acceptable. For Chinderalla, there was no means of getting justice. The cruelty of this situation must have been compounded by the man who abused his position being treated favourably over the innocent party.

''The Equal Opportunities Commission is working to eliminate sex discrimination in Britain today. If women and men had equal chances in life, things would be different. We're working on it....

Women. Men. Different. Equal.

Definition of sexual harassment relevant to incidents that took place on or after 1 October 2005
There are two types of sexual harassment
Unwanted conduct on the grounds of your sex:
You must be able to show that the treatment is because you are a woman (or a man). An example of this could be if you are being bullied at work and the harasser would not treat somebody of the opposite sex in this way. The conduct does not have to be of a sexual nature for this form of harassment.

The conduct must be done with the purpose of, or have the effect of, violating your dignity, or of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for you.

OR

Unwanted physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature:
If the conduct is of a sexual nature, this is unlawful in itself and you do not have to compare yourself to how somebody of the opposite sex would be treated. This could include:
Comments about the way you look which you find demeaning
Indecent remarks
Questions about your sex life
Sexual demands by a member of your own or the opposite sex

(Incidents involving touching and other physical threats are criminal offences and should also be reported to the police).

Again, the conduct must be done with the purpose of, or have the effect of, violating your dignity, or of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for you.

You will also have a claim for harassment if your employer treats you less favourably because you have rejected, or submitted to, either form of harassment described above.
Sexual harassment is against the law
Women and men have a right not to be subjected to sexual harassment at work.
The Sex Discrimination Act (SDA) makes it unlawful for employers in Great Britain to subject a woman (or man) to sexual harassment. It is also unlawful to harass someone because they intend to undergo, are undergoing, or have undergone gender reassignment.

Sexual harassment itself is prohibited by the SDA but in many instances it will be accompanied by other forms of unfavourable treatment such as not being recruited, criticism of work, lack of promotion, enforced transfer and ill health or dismissal. (See also general less favourable treatment)

Sexual harassment before 1 October 2005
Definition of sexual harassment relevant to incidents that took place before 1 October 2005
Before 1 October 2005 sexual harassment was an unlawful form of direct sex discrimination but was not specifically defined in the Sex Discrimination Act. Cases in the employment tribunals established that sexual harassment was unwanted physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature and could include:
Comments about the way you look which you find demeaning
Indecent remarks
Questions about your sex life
Sexual demands by a member of your own or the opposite sex
If you wish to take a claim of sexual harassment based on harassment which occurred before 1 October 2005, you will be taking a claim of 'direct sex discrimination' which means that you would have to show that somebody of the opposite sex would not have been treated in this way. In complaints of sexual harassment this is normally taken for granted by the employment tribunal.
Information that applies before and after 1 October 2005
The SDA applies not only in circumstances where you are a company employee but also to a wide range of other employment situations. These include if you are

working in a partnership
a member of a trade union
a member of a professional body
a member of an institution which issues qualifications which are required to carry out a particular trade or profession
The SDA applies regardless of length of service or number of hours worked and to a number of employment situations, including the recruitment process.

Ex-employees are protected by the SDA in some circumstances.

You can only take a claim of sexual harassment under the SDA if the sexual harassment you are complaining of took place in work or at a work related function. This means that the harassment has to happen during what is known as "the course of employment".

Depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to claim under other legislation in addition to the SDA. Find out about the Sex Discrimination Act, and other laws, which give you rights in The Law section of the site.

Further information on harassment and bullying at work is available in the legal position section on the ACAS website.

A sample case:

Press Release: Sally Bing awarded Ł58,697 in sexual harassment case against former town Mayor

Press Release: Sally Bing awarded Ł58,697 in sexual harassment case against former town Mayor

An Exeter employment tribunal today ordered the former mayor of Chard, Somerset to pay Ł33,697 in damages to a former town clerk who brought a successful claim of sexual harassment. Thirty-one year old Sally Bing said she was sexually harassed and victimised by Councillor Tony Prior, who was the town’s Mayor at the time. Her case was supported by the Equal Opportunities Commission.

The harassment included looking down Ms. Bing’s blouse, inappropriate telephone calls and e-mails, asking her to go on holiday with him and offering her money with a sexual motivation. When Ms. Bing complained about the harassment and reported the Mayor to the Standards Board for England, Mr. Prior further victimised her by issuing her with a written warning and putting out a press release making various claims about her with the intention of calling her integrity into question. As a result of her treatment, Ms. Bing became sick with stress and eventually resigned from Chard Town Council.

Ms. Bing has already settled a similar claim against the council, which has agreed to pay Ł25,000 in loss of earnings. That makes her total compensation Ł58,697.

The case illustrates the extent to which sexual harassment remains all too common. EOC research shows that for each of the last five years, there has been one successful sexual harassment case brought each week, and sexual harassment cases comprise 22% of all successful sex discrimination cases. In addition, the EOC receives many calls about sexual harassment to its helpline – it is one of the top five reasons for calls.

The EOC recently published new guidelines to help employers prevent sexual harassment from happening in the first place – and deal more effectively with it when it does. Among the issues addressed in the guidelines are the need for strong leadership, well-communicated policies, an effective complaints procedure and training to help staff investigate complaints confidentially and compassionately.

Jenny Watson, Chair of the Equal Opportunities Commission, said:

"Sexual harassment is still an issue causing women like Sally Bing stress and financial penalties when they leave their jobs as a result of it. We suspect that cases that come to our attention – like Ms. Bing's -- are only the tip of the iceberg. It's important for women to know what they can do to tackle harassment - and for employers to know how they can help stamp it out in the workplace.

As our new guidelines show, strong leadership and a few simple steps taken by employers can make all the difference, something that the best employers already recognise. Creating a workplace in which everyone is valued and in which there is no place for bullying or harassment helps to boost morale and productivity, and of course helps to avoid the high costs of tribunal claims."

Sally Bing said:

"I am delighted with the tribunal's judgement. I feel a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders, and I would like to put all of this behind me. I would like to thank the Equal Opportunities Commission for their support in helping me to bring this case. Thank you also to my friends and family for their ongoing support during this difficult time. Finally, I would like to thank my solicitors, Jenine McMonagle of Ford Simey Solicitors and my barrister Debbie Grennan, without whom I could not have achieved this outcome."

For more information, please contact Kristine Ziwica in the EOC press office at 02079607429 or 07834947485 or via e-mail at kristine.ziwica@eoc.org.uk.

Notes to editors:

A full copy of the EOC's new guidance for employers, "Sexual Harassment: Managers' Questions Answered", can be obtained from the EOC press office or downloaded via the link to the right. The guidelines are designed to answer questions frequently asked by employers, cover the legal position from employer's viewpoint and how to handle complaints effectively. It also gives advice on the measures employers can put in place to prevent harassment occurring in the first place – and to minimise the risk of liability when it does happen. Basic preventative steps include having an effective and well-communicated policy, training all staff and managers on the policy and their responsibilities under it, making sexual harassment a disciplinary offence and monitoring the policy and its success regularly. In terms of handling complaints, the guidelines urge employers to develop clear procedures for investigating complaints confidentially and compassionately without delay, train staff who will be investigating complaints to handle them in accordance with the procedure and provide support as necessary for the complainant, the alleged harasser and managers handling the complaints. ''

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

I read half way through your post & will go back to it in a second...... what happened to me was a sexual harrassement through physical contact..... he was not my employer ....... he was a casting director in a casting agency..... It is a small office with a few people working there, privately owned..... so justice my a$$

I was doing an audition & he abused his position & my naievity in doing this act..... I stopped working with that agency forever & I used word of mouth to trash them.

During that terrible moment I was in shock, embarrassement, confusion, disbelief & I couldnt react, I was paralyzed....... i didnt realize what was happening until I left & the shock was even greater the next day......... I was devatstated & locked myself in my room for almost 2 months...... I even blamed myself for not being able to react..............

I only had a short movie to shoot in Alex for a week & had to get out of bed & pick myself up to do my job, otherwise I wouldnt have gotten out of my rut........ feeling I had for a while was pure disgust.......... untill this moment i have a hard time figuring out how i I felt exactly .... it was so confusing, i was never put in that postion......

if i am harrassed in the street I could beat the crap out of the guy if i catch him..... but why i was confused & in disbelief at that moment..... i have no idea.....

I decided never to go alone again to such places & never trust people.... I forgot that fear is good

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

I have a question........ if anything like this happens can I contact someone from abroad or an organization for human rights?

--------------------
Femme Fatale

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Chinderalla,

What a nightmare! As you said, ''A work setting'', I thought you meant a more traditional one. You must have been very scared. In the UK, there are 'Rape Crisis' centres to help women deal with issues of sexual assault. Harassment is also a matter for civil proceedings. As mentioned before, globally, rape is usually perpetuated by men women know. Educating the police and the wider public is and has been an ongoing process. Are there no comparable organisations in Egypt?

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/law.html

Introduction
Women of any age, of any background, with or without a disability can be attacked. Men can deliberately try to prevent women taking action by trying to lay the blame on women for their sexual violence. It is important that women do not accept this blame.

You may doubt your experience and may question whether yours is a valid case of sexual assault or even whether it happened at all, but any unwanted or inappropriate sexual behaviour is an abuse of power.

Choice
We believe that every woman should be able to make her own decision about whether to report a sexual assault to the police or not. We hope that the information contained here will empower women to make the decision which is right for them. Of course there are arguments both for and against reporting. 14,000 cases of rape were reported to the police in 2003 but this represents only a small proportion of actual assaults. Of these reported cases only a few will result in a prosecution.

The following information about police and legal procedures aims to help you make the right choice for you. If you would like to talk any of this through, then please call a rape crisis helpline.

Legal Advice

For legal advice contact Rights of Women

Rights of Women is a women’s voluntary organisation committed to informing, educating and empowering women concerning their legal rights.

Founded in 1975, they offer free confidential legal advice to women on their advice line. They offer specialist advice in family law, divorce and relationship breakdown, children and contact issues, domestic violence, sexual violence, discrimination and lesbian parenting. They empower women to access their legal rights.

Reporting to the Police

Police Attitudes
Police training and practice has improved dramatically over the last few years. You can now expect to be taken seriously, to be treated sensitively and with respect, and also kept informed of progress. You are entitled to see a female doctor but there might not be one available for you.

Sexual assault of adults is dealt with by a senior detective. Sexual abuse of anyone under seventeen is dealt with by the Child Protection Unit. Assault by a partner/ex-partner may be dealt with by the Domestic Violence Unit. Any of these offences can initially be reported at a police station where the officer on duty will arrange for you to be seen by the appropriate team. Listed below is guidance if you are thinking of reporting to the police:

Do report to the police as soon as possible - this may assist in the early capture of your attacker. Medical evidence ideally needs to be collected within 72 hours of the attack.

Do not wash or change your clothes - by doing so you could be destroying vital forensic evidence. Many women feel an overwhelming desire to wash and scrub their body after an assault. If you have instinctively washed, don't worry, you can still press charges, but let the police know.

Do try to take a change of clothes - the police may keep your clothing for evidence. They will, however, assist in obtaining other clothing and provide a pack of toiletries which includes underwear.

Your Rights

You have the right to have someone with you for support (a friend, relative or support worker).

If English is not your first language you can ask for an interpreter.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment you can take someone with you who will be able to interpret.

You have the right to see/ask for a female police officer.

You have the right to be examined by a female doctor or your own GP (if she or he has been trained in forensic practice).

You have the right to leave the police station at any time.

At the police station

Once you have reported the attack, a specially trained police officer (you may request a female or male officer) will be appointed to "chaperone" you. Your chaperone will accompany you to the Rape Suite. Their role will include advising you of the procedures at the police station and at Court, whilst also supporting you through some of these. Make a note of the relevant officers dealing with your case, such as the investigating detective and your "chaperone". You will then know who to contact whenever you need updating on progress or need advice. Importantly, it is your chaperone who should advise you when the attacker is arrested, and if he is subsequently held on remand or granted bail.

Examination and Statement

Most police stations now have a "Victim Examination Suite". When you report the incident to the police there are two main stages to the police procedure.

1. Examination

Either before or after making a statement to the police you will need to be examined by a doctor. The purpose of the examination is to:

See if you need medical attention. If required the doctor will arrange for you to be treated at a hospital.

Look for evidence - this may require the doctor to take various samples - saliva, urine, blood and pubic hair and swabs from the mouth, rectum and vagina. The examination may feel intrusive but it should only last 15 minutes.

The police may also want to take a photograph of any injuries sustained in the attack. You can request a female photographer and the police officer in the case should automatically request this if the photographs are obviously personal.

2. Statement

You will be required to make a statement. This will probably be a very demanding experience as the police will be asking many detailed questions. Ask for periodic breaks whenever you need. If you are able to, try to read through the statement carefully when it has been completed - the statement will be used in Court, so accuracy is important.

It is important to be aware that your statement WILL NOT be confidential. It will be made available to your attacker, because the law requires that defendants know the charges being made against them. Your personal details such as name, address, telephone number etc should automatically NOT be included in the statement, but you should confirm this with the officer taking the statement.

Fingerprints

The police may want to take your fingerprints - don't worry, this is sometimes necessary to distinguish your prints from any others, in an effort to identify the attacker. They will be destroyed once the case is complete.

Identification

You may at some stage have to try to identify your attacker from an "identification line-up". This may be a difficult task and you will probably be apprehensive and fearful of seeing your attacker. You will be protected by a one-way screen and will not be seen by anyone from the "line-up". Nevertheless, it's a good idea to take someone with you for support. A member of your local rape crisis group may be able to accompany you if you wish.

Court Procedures

The first stage in Court proceedings is the Committal Hearing. The defendant (the attacker) will be brought before the Magistrates where it will be decided if there is enough evidence for the case to go forward to the Crown Court for a full trial. No verbal evidence is given at committals so you should not be required to attend.

Committal to Crown Court

If the case is to proceed to the Crown Court then there will probably be a delay (about six months on average) before the actual trial takes place.

You will normally be given a fixed date a few weeks before the trial, but this may be subject to change. This may cause difficulties in childcare arrangements and planning leave of absence from work.

If you have never been to a Crown Court before the roles and routines can be confusing an intimidating. It might be helpful to go along before your case to familiarise yourself with the environment. The Witness Support Service and the Court will help by showing you the Court, sitting with you and arranging privacy if needed. The police chaperone will also be there to help.

Below are some of the main characters you will find at Court:

The Judge - controls/oversees the trial. He sits at a level higher than the rest of the Court and wears robes and a wig.

The Jury - sit in a box to the side of the room - they are all in everyday clothes. Both the defence and prosecution barristers and REJECT or ACCEPT members of the jury. You will not be able to choose.

The Clerk - wears black robes and sits directly below the Judge.

Barristers - sit at opposing ends, defence barrister on one side, prosecuting barrister on the other. They wear black robes and wigs.

Ushers – see people in and out of the court and ensure procedures run smoothly.

The Press - sit opposite the jury box. They will usually take notes for their reports. Cameras are not allowed in the Court so photographs will not be taken - although journalists are allowed to draw sketches, but not of you. There are strict reporting restrictions placed on journalists and they are not allowed to reveal the identity of women who have experienced rape/sexual assault, although they can reveal the details of the attacker.

Police - will be in attendance at Court - both uniformed and plain clothes.

If the defendant pleads guilty then you will have no further part in the proceedings as it will only remain for the Judge to either pass sentence there and then or adjourn the case while he obtains relevant reports.

Plea Bargaining

If the defendant pleads not guilty then "plea bargaining" may be initiated by the prosecution/defence team. Under the Victims' Charter, the prosecution must take your views into account before a decision is made. In effect the defendant will be asked whether he is willing to plead guilty to a lesser charge - e.g. sexual assault rather than rape. This would guarantee a conviction.

Before deciding to agree to this you should be aware that:

You would not have to testify at Court

The attackers punishment will be less severe

The trial

The prosecution will outline the case against the defendant and then go into the case in detail. Witnesses will then be called. You will probably be the main prosecution witness. You do not have a barrister representing you, the court sees you as a witness.

When you take the stand you will have to "swear" on a religious book (e.g. Koran, Old Testament) that you will tell the truth. If you are not religious you can "affirm" to tell the truth.The prosecution will ask your name, but as you are allowed to remain anonymous you can simply write your name on a piece of paper. You will then be addressed by a fictitious name throughout the trial.

The prosecution will ask you to state what happened and try to establish certain facts. The defence, on the other hand, will probably try very hard to discredit your account of events, and you should be prepared for rigorous questioning.

As a helpful guide, try to remember:

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you are not sure about certain questions.

Answer questions at your own pace.

If you do not feel comfortable answering certain questions then ask the Judge if you can reject the question.

Questions relating to your past sexual history are allowed in certain circumstances at the discretion of the Judge.

If at any stage you feel overwhelmed, ask the Judge for a short adjournment (break).

After your testimony you can sit in the public gallery and see how the case develops. However, bear in mind that family and friends of the defendant may be there.

After the court case

After the trial, the Judge will sum up the prosecution and defence cases. The jury will adjourn to another room to consider their verdict.

If the defendant is found guilty then the Judge will consider and set what he believes to be an appropriate sentence. A defendant can usually get a lighter sentence if he pleaded guilty at the start of the case.

After the trial nothing more should be required of you in relation to the legal process. The defendant may appeal against either his conviction or sentence, but you will not become involved in this.

Under the 1990 Victims' Charter the Probation Service has a responsibility to liaise with victims of crime. You should be contacted by the Probation Service within two months of the attacker being sentenced. You will be given the opportunity to be kept informed of important decisions relating to the offender, including his release date. For further information please contact the Association of Chief Officers of Probation, 212 Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BJ ).

The trial can be an invasive and painful ordeal. If the CPS decide to prosecute, we hope that they are successful in securing a conviction against your attacker. However, it is important that if you feel it is not in your best interests to prosecute, you should not feel pressured into doing so. The decision you take has to be right for YOU.

Even with legislation, support organisations, properly trained, female police officers, bringing a charge of rape or sexual assault must create incredible trauma. This is why women still refuse to come forward. Women feel shame, even although there is absolute;y no blame on their part. I don't know which organisations exist in Egypt. Online seems a safe place for you to explore options, including writing to Human Rights associations. Offline, in Egypt, I would imagine there is a need to be extremely cautious and reserved, regarding confiding your experience.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

LOL.... what a large post [Big Grin]

I used to get an attack (exageration) when i come across a man looking like him in the streets [Big Grin]

I dont think we have any oragnizations like the one you posted in Egypt...... I remember Auto posting something like that a long time ago & I cant find it.

It's ironic because I read almost 3 books about sexual offenders & rapists 6 years ago......... but when you're in this situation you go blank. but thank god I was not raped

--------------------
Femme Fatale

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I noticed that many people here deny that there is child abuse in Egypt........ especially abuse from fathers or step-fathers is something not reported or talked about.

Please Albino, I beg you [Big Grin] , dont say it's only the wealthy of Egypt who molest their kids [Big Grin]

No I never said that and never will. The wealthy of Egypt molest other people's kids, the servants.

You know you might want to wait untill I actually post these generalizations or character smears instead of announcing that in your belief I will eventually make those statments.

It'll bring you more credibility to wait until the words have been posted.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
quote:

No I never said that and never will. The wealthy of Egypt molest other people's kids, the servants.

You know you might want to wait untill I actually post these generalizations or character smears instead of announcing that in your belief I will eventually make those statments.

It'll bring you more credibility to wait until the words have been posted.

Have fun Enjoy yourself & Waste your time imposing your self assured bullshit on us [Big Grin]

You envy the rich....... period
but you have to know that this envy comes from below

fyi.... you can curse the rich all you want....... I am not rich........ if i was rich & powerful I would have easily put the guy who harrassed me in jail within seconds

Besides you have no knowledge of the classifictaions & the class system of Egypt........ you read something that you think is enough but you never mingled with real people to know it for real........ enjoy or shut up

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Have fun Enjoy yourself & Waste your time imposing your self assured bullshit on us [Big Grin]

You envy the rich....... period
but you have to know that this envy comes from below

fyi.... you can curse the rich all you want....... I am not rich........ if i was rich & powerful I would have easily put the guy who harrassed me in jail within seconds

Besides you have no knowledge of the classifictaions & the class system of Egypt........ you read something that you think is enough but you never mingled with real people to know it for real........ enjoy or shut up

Shinderella,

I have known families that have been wealthy for generations.

You family just rose slightly above middle class this last half century.

Really I know you aren't aware of the problems that money can bring because your family hasn't had enough time to manage it and I highly doubt that you'll actually see the negative effects of wealth long term.

I couldn't see what there is to envy.

But thats just me.

As for stats look into CAPMAS. Thats where the researchers go for government collected information in Egypt.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinders please empty your mailbox
Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
Shinderella,

I have known families that have been wealthy for generations.

You family just rose slightly above middle class this last half century.

Really I know you aren't aware of the problems that money can bring because your family hasn't had enough time to manage it and I highly doubt that you'll actually see the negative effects of wealth long term.

I couldn't see what there is to envy.

But thats just me.

As for stats look into CAPMAS. Thats where the researchers go for government collected information in Egypt.

My family just rose above middle class slighly in the last half cetury? what the fcuk..... you think I came from behind the cow?

How come you know *wealthy families* if you've only stayed in Shebin for a few weeks.

Have you even been to Cairo? and even if you were, It must have been a short visit that you wouldnt get the chance to meet new people, let alons the wealthy

Sono.......... you dont know anything about me or my family history............ we have always been the same for generations & centuries if not even wealther & more powerful long long time ago........ We have always lived in Cairo....... we have mixed heritages as well.

We have enough money to live well, have good quality education, good health care & travel abroad but not to the Bahams every year..............

It's not our ambition to acquire more money........ we are happy the way we are. Money was never an issue to us....... class & good manners are.

I still dont understand why you claim to know about me & my family & the class we are from........... you never even met me or know my real name. you dont even know how I behave in real life. you have never been to cairo or stayed there long enough to know cairo people

Besides, your King Kong doesnt sound like an upper middle class to me. He does not seem to hold the values, ethics & manners of the upper middle class........ working class if you ask me

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups

Once a false assumption has been entered into your argument you are fcuked. No matter what you do, you will be wrong. Often wrong in interesting and spectactular ways.
The moral? Make a habit of challenging all of your base assumptions. It could save you from something nasty, and will often provide remarkable insight into the nature of the universe, or at least human nature.

An axiom that acts as the basis for logical analysis. All assumptions are assumed to be false, because they rely on the conversion of reality into symbols, which, though convenient for reification in a formal system, lack the essence of the real. In order for an assumption to be true, it must be true from the very core, and thus hinges on the reality of emptiness.

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com