EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Info on residence permits and health insurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Info on residence permits and health insurance
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
are there any British ex-pats on here, not married to Egyptians, who have got any info on temporary residence permits - I can't find anything on the internet.
Also, has anyone got details of any health insurance companies who would do 'ex-pat' health insurance for living in Egypt as I believe 'holiday' policies - even if they are annual - do not cover stays of more than 30 days.

Cheers!

Oldbag

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the residence you get from the passport office in whereever you are in Egypt. Its a years visa stamped in your passport. You need passport, a few passport size pics and copies of pages in your passport, i think [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi oldbag!

When you get your visitors visa it is also a temporary residence permit, and can be for under 6 months, 6 months, or a year. If you are staying for longer than your initial tourist visa into the country allows, then you will just have to go to the visa section in the largest city to where you are and they will renew it for a small fee in a couple of hours if you go in the morning, or a overnight if you go later, or three days if you go late on Thursday [Big Grin]

Health insurance, I've got one through work, so they are available here, but I'm not sure if they would be available for visitors.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
the residence you get from the passport office in whereever you are in Egypt. Its a years visa stamped in your passport. You need passport, a few passport size pics and copies of pages in your passport, i think [Big Grin]

Thanks Ayisha. You wouldn't happen to know whether that kind of temporary residence would allow me to work at all? (Own-business type work, not working for a company)?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You aren't legally allowed to work on a tourist visa, it's actually written on it. If you wanted to establish your own business your paperwork would probably include it.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
Hi,
are there any British ex-pats on here, not married to Egyptians, who have got any info on temporary residence permits - I can't find anything on the internet.
Also, has anyone got details of any health insurance companies who would do 'ex-pat' health insurance for living in Egypt as I believe 'holiday' policies - even if they are annual - do not cover stays of more than 30 days.

Cheers!

Oldbag

Hi Oldbag (lol would usually get a slap for that!),

When I first went to Egypt and enquired about residence visa I asked the lady in the British embassy the following: "How can I get a residence visa if I want to live in Egypt, don't want to marry an Egyptian and have enough money to live on without getting a job?" She replied "Get a tourist visa" [Big Grin] I wouldn't bother asking in Mogamma because you would probably end up getting your residence in one of the womens siguun [Roll Eyes]

With regards to health insurance you can try Alico or Medicare (Egyptian co.s). They both offer good medical insurance, but I'm not sure about their packages for non resident foriegners. You can try some of the UK companies though because they must have packages available such as those offered to backpackers etc who travel for more than 30 days continuous in the year.

Good luck!

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For wanting to do business try applying for a business visa first, but if I remember rightly you may need to have a letter of invitation from a company. BV only lasts for 3 months and can only be applied for an renewed in the Egyptian consulate office in London. Do a search for setting up a business in Egypt because there are many rules such as types of business you can operate, company structure, capital, taxes, needing an Egyptian partner or not blah blah blah! I have loads of stuff on it and if I get a chance tomorrow I will post you some links. There are a few organisations in London who can give you advice also, as well as annual exhibitions for British investment in Egypt.
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:
... I have loads of stuff on it and if I get a chance tomorrow I will post you some links. There are a few organisations in London who can give you advice also, as well as annual exhibitions for British investment in Egypt.

Thanks NSIC - that would be great.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as im aware you only need a work permit if working FOR someone, not if you have your own business. If working for someone they apply for it for you.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com